Intuitive understanding of capacitors in series and parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in determining the charge on a capacitor in a series and parallel circuit with a voltage source of 12V. The mistake of using the reciprocal of the equivalent capacitance is pointed out and the correct calculation is provided. The concept of equal charge on capacitors in series is explained and the final calculation is verified. The individual's understanding of capacitance and capacitors is also discussed.
psilocybin

Homework Statement

I am trying to determine the charge on C2 which is a 3 μF cap in parallel with a 2 μF cap that are both in series with a 4 μF capacitor. The voltage source is 12V

(diagram attached)

Homework Equations

Q=CV
1/Ceq= (1/C1)+(1/C23)

The Attempt at a Solution

(work attached as img)

Hi,
So I have been attempting to develop an intuitive understanding of capacitance and capacitors for almost 2 weeks now, and am driving myself crazy. I get the basics of what happens to cause capacitance, and what a dielectric does, but once there are multiple capacitors in a circuit it is getting very hectic for me. I have been working on this problem all day:

I am trying to determine the charge on C2 which is a 3 μF cap in parallel with a 2 μF cap that are both in series with a 4 μF capacitor. The voltage source is 12V. I initially thought it was as easy as (1/4)+(1/5)=9/20 which makes the total capacitance 5.4 μF

After that I thought it was as simple as 5.4(3μF) to get an answer of 16.2, but I don't believe this to be correct. The voltage across C1 needs to be taken into consideration right? I have been attempting to solve this on my own, but after reading every page I can google on capacitance and series and parallel circuits, I am so confused that I think I am doing more damage at this point.

My text doesn't provide any examples other than formulas and the basic idea. Any help figuring out this problem and any intuitive assistance would be greatly appreciated. If anyone would be willing to help me with understanding what is happening in each capacitor that would really help. Thank you

Attachments

• cap_qc2.jpg
    cap_qc2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have made a common mistake in this sort of calculation...
You have 1/C = 1/4 + 1/5 = 9/20
This means that C = 20/9 microfarads

The equivalent capacitor for a 3 and a 2 in parallel is indeed 5. Now you have a 4 and a 5 in series.

When you put 12 V across series capacitors, each capacitor has the same charge as current doesn't go through the capacitor from one plate to the other. So let's assume when you apply 12 volts you have a charge of Q on both capacitors. So the voltage on the 4 capacitor = V = Q/C = Q/4. Likewise the voltage on the 5 capacitor is Q/5. Now, the voltages must add to 12 volts, right so Q/4 + Q/5 = 12. Solving for Q you get Q = 26.67. Now that you have the Q, the voltage on the 4 cap is Q/C = 26.67/4 = 6.67 volts and the voltage on the 5 C is 26.667/5 = 5.33. Add them up and you get 12 volts. Does this help?

Ah, I do see the error with the reciprocal for Ceq, thank you. So then since both C2 and C3 must have the same voltage, 5.33 V,

Q2/3μF=5.33V

3 μF(5.33 V)=Q

Q2= 15.99 μC

correct?

Taking this farther, I could do the following calculation to see that the charge on the other capacitor in parallel is the remaining amount to verify my result. So does everything seem to be what it should?

Q3=CV
(2μF)(5.33 V)=10.66 μC

Q2+Q3=Q
15.99+10.66≈ 26.67μC

Thank you for all the help, the intuition still needs a little work, but it is making more sense.

for your time.

Dear student,

Firstly, let's break down the problem into smaller parts to better understand it. We have three capacitors in series, C1, C2, and C3. Let's label the charge on each capacitor as Q1, Q2, and Q3 respectively.

In a series circuit, the same current flows through each component. This means that the charge on each capacitor will be the same. So, Q1 = Q2 = Q3.

Next, we can use the equation Q=CV to find the charge on each capacitor. We know the voltage source is 12V, and the total capacitance is 5.4μF. So, Q = (5.4μF)(12V) = 64.8μC.

Now, we can use the equation 1/Ceq = (1/C1) + (1/C2) + (1/C3) to find the equivalent capacitance of the three capacitors in series. Plugging in the values, we get 1/Ceq = (1/4μF) + (1/5μF) + (1/3μF) = 23/60μF. Therefore, Ceq = 60/23μF.

Finally, we can use the equation Q=CV to find the charge on C2. Since the charge on each capacitor is the same, we can use the total charge we found earlier, 64.8μC, and the equivalent capacitance we just calculated, 60/23μF, to get Q2 = (60/23μF)(64.8μC) = 168.7μC.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better. In general, capacitors in series have a smaller equivalent capacitance than each individual capacitor, while capacitors in parallel have a larger equivalent capacitance. This is because in series, the total charge is the same but the voltage is divided, while in parallel, the voltage is the same but the charges are added together.

As for the intuitive understanding, think of capacitors as tanks that can store charge. In series, the charge has to pass through each tank, so the total charge that can be stored is limited by the smallest tank. In parallel, the charge can be divided among multiple tanks, so the total charge that can be stored is larger.

I hope this helps. Keep practicing and don't

Related to Intuitive understanding of capacitors in series and parallel

1. What is the difference between capacitors in series and parallel?

In series, capacitors are connected end-to-end, with the positive terminal of one capacitor connected to the negative terminal of the other. In parallel, the positive terminals are connected together and the negative terminals are connected together.

2. How do capacitors in series affect the total capacitance?

Capacitors in series have an overall lower capacitance than each individual capacitor. The total capacitance can be calculated by using the formula 1/Ct = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... where Ct is the total capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances.

3. How do capacitors in parallel affect the total capacitance?

Capacitors in parallel have an overall higher capacitance than each individual capacitor. The total capacitance can be calculated by adding the individual capacitances together, Ct = C1 + C2 + C3 + ...

4. How does the voltage distribution differ in capacitors in series and parallel?

In series, the voltage is divided between the capacitors, with each capacitor having a different voltage drop. In parallel, the voltage across each capacitor is the same as the voltage across the entire circuit.

5. How do capacitors in series and parallel affect the total energy stored?

In series, the total energy stored is lower than the sum of the individual capacitors, as the voltage is divided between them. In parallel, the total energy stored is higher than the sum of the individual capacitors, as each capacitor is able to store its own energy.