Intuition for Rayleigh Scattering

In summary, according to the paper, the Rayleigh Scattering Formula is based on the fact that the scattering cross section is proportional to the number of identical scatterers squared, and that the number of scatterers (or molecules) in a particle is proportional to its volume.
bananabandana
Is there some way to - from an intuition standpoint - justify the fact that there should be a factor of ##a^{6}##, (where ##a ## is the particle diameter) in the Rayleigh Scattering formula? I've seen a few sources hint that there should be. I can follow the derivation from e.g a Lorentz atom, but I don't see why I should immediately be thinking of the factor of ##a^{6}##? [Is it somehow related to a dipole moment?]

Rayleigh Scattering Formula:

$$ I \propto I_{0} \lambda^{-4} a^{6} $$

Science news on Phys.org
Square of volume?

Your question got me interested to look around a bit. I found the following paper, Particle Optics in the Rayleigh Regime: http://patarnott.com/pdf/Moosmuller2009JAWMA.pdf

It's more than I wanted to read right now, and I'm not sure it meets your requirement of being intuitive, but on page 1029 they state:

Thus the r6 (for spherical particles) or more general V2 size dependence of Rayleigh particle scattering has been obtained from two simple facts: (1) the scattering cross section is proportional to the number of identical scatterers squared (i.e., n2); and (2) the number of scatterers (or molecules) in a particle is proportional to its volume, or to its radius cubed for a spherical particle.

Thanks! Sorry for the slow reply - I've been away from a connection for a while. I guess as Bystander says it does make intuitive sense that you should have a factor of volume squared for scattering of two particles. But in that case why should the photon be seen as having the same volume as the scatterer? (as much as it makes sense for a photon to have a volume...) I think the second argument is convincing. Though I've also seen another derivation now in terms of the polarization of a sphere - where the scattering intensity is proportional to the square of the amplitude reflected field, the reflected field depends on the instantaneous dipole moment, and so we get ## a^{6}## again - I can no longer find it, which is a pain, and that's all I remember - but perhaps you can get something out of that?

Related to Intuition for Rayleigh Scattering

1. What is Rayleigh scattering?

Rayleigh scattering is a phenomenon in which light is scattered by particles or molecules in the atmosphere, causing the sky to appear blue. It is named after the British scientist Lord Rayleigh, who first described this type of scattering in the late 19th century.

2. How does Rayleigh scattering work?

Rayleigh scattering occurs when incoming light interacts with particles much smaller than the wavelength of the light. These particles, such as nitrogen and oxygen molecules in the Earth's atmosphere, scatter the light in all directions. The shorter blue wavelengths of light are scattered more easily, giving the sky its blue color.

3. What is the importance of Rayleigh scattering?

Rayleigh scattering plays a crucial role in the Earth's climate and weather. It is responsible for the blue color of the sky and the red and orange hues of sunrises and sunsets. It also affects the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface, which impacts the Earth's temperature and weather patterns.

4. How is Rayleigh scattering related to air pollution?

Air pollution, such as smoke and haze, can impact the amount of Rayleigh scattering in the atmosphere. When there are more particles in the air, such as from pollution, they can scatter more light, causing the sky to appear less blue. This can also affect the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface, potentially leading to changes in temperature and weather patterns.

5. Can Rayleigh scattering occur with other types of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, Rayleigh scattering can occur with other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as radio waves and X-rays. However, it is most commonly associated with visible light due to the Earth's atmosphere being most transparent to these wavelengths. Rayleigh scattering also occurs with other types of light, such as infrared and ultraviolet, but to a lesser extent.