Intuition behind Integration by parts

In summary, integration by parts is a technique that allows for the easier solving of a particular integral term. The substitution of u = 3x2 makes the integral simpler to work with. and the lack of mathematical meaning is due to the fact that most people learn calculus after it has been applied.
Polymath89
I have some problems understanding the intuition behind the integration by parts technique. I don't quite see why you solve for [itex]\int u(x)v\prime (x)[/itex], instead of one of the other parts, what makes it easier to solve for that particular term?

And in general when working with integration techniques, does an expression like du have any mathematical meaning by itself or are those substitutions just used to make integration easier?

Physics news on Phys.org
Polymath89 said:
I have some problems understanding the intuition behind the integration by parts technique. I don't quite see why you solve for [itex]\int u(x)v\prime (x)[/itex], instead of one of the other parts, what makes it easier to solve for that particular term?
Integration by parts is essentially the integral counterpart of the product rule in differentiation.

If f(x) = u(x) * v(x), then f'(x) = u(x) * v'(x) + u'(x) * v(x)

If we integrate the equation above, we get
∫f'(x)dx = ∫(u(x) * v'(x) + u'(x) * v(x))dx
= ∫u(x) * v'(x) dx + ∫u'(x) * v(x)dx

Simplifying a bit, we get
f(x) = ∫u(x) * v'(x) dx + ∫u'(x) * v(x)dx

or
∫u(x) * v'(x) dx = f(x) - ∫u'(x) * v(x)dx = u(x)*v(x) - ∫u'(x) * v(x)dx

Notice that I solved for ∫u(x) * v'(x) dx. I could just as easily have solved for the other integral. So in answer to your question, it doesn't make any difference. The only criterion is that ∫u'(x) * v(x)dx should be easier to work with than the other integral.

Polymath89 said:
And in general when working with integration techniques, does an expression like du have any mathematical meaning by itself or are those substitutions just used to make integration easier?
Yes, it has meaning. When you use a substitution, say u = 3x2, then du is the differential of u. In this case, du = d/dx(3x2) * dx = 6x*dx.

In my experience, choose to be u the function with the simplest derivative. If you can choose a function like "2x" - make it u because when taking the integral of vdu, you want du to contribute little complexity to the integral.

As for your comment about the mathematical meaning of du, its understandable to have the feeling that it has no mathematical meaning because most people don't see the meaning until they are done learning calculus and are instead applying it.

It is a differential element of u. What does that mean? I think of it as "a piece of u so small that it can barely be said to exist at all."

Look at it this way - the derivative notation, dy/dx, is a slope. The reason why we are saying "differential element of y over a differential element of x" is because even though the rate of change of a function may not be constant, the differential elements are so small that we can take the rate of change "over the course of a differential element" as being constant because there is no room for variation. That's why for a function like x^2 it makes sense to say (dy/dx) = 6 at some point even though the rate of change of the function is continuously changing.

Thats was pretty helpful, thanks a lot guys.

Related to Intuition behind Integration by parts

1. What is the intuition behind integration by parts?

The intuition behind integration by parts is to simplify the process of integrating a product of two functions by breaking it down into simpler parts. This is achieved by using the product rule from differentiation in reverse.

2. How does integration by parts work?

Integration by parts works by using the formula ∫u(x)v'(x)dx = u(x)v(x) - ∫v(x)u'(x)dx, where u(x) and v(x) are two functions. This formula helps to simplify the integration of a product of two functions by reducing it to the integration of a single function.

3. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts should be used when the integral of a product of two functions cannot be easily evaluated using other integration techniques such as substitution or partial fractions. It is particularly useful for solving integrals involving polynomials, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions.

4. What are the steps involved in integration by parts?

The steps involved in integration by parts are:

1. Identifying the functions u(x) and v'(x) from the integral to be evaluated.
  2. Applying the formula ∫u(x)v'(x)dx = u(x)v(x) - ∫v(x)u'(x)dx.
  3. Evaluating the integral on the right-hand side using other integration techniques.
  4. Substituting the values for u(x) and v(x) back into the formula to obtain the final answer.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts:

• Choosing the wrong functions for u(x) and v'(x).
  • Forgetting to include the constant of integration when evaluating the integral on the right-hand side.
  • Forgetting to apply the chain rule when differentiating v(x) to find v'(x).
  • Not simplifying the integral on the right-hand side before substituting the values for u(x) and v(x).