Introversion/Extroversion's role in leadership ability

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses the benefits of hiring introverted leaders who are more likely to let proactive employees run with their ideas and deliver better outcomes. It also highlights the strengths of introverts such as persistence, careful risk-taking, and comfort with solitude, which can lead to creativity. The management literature often advises introverted leaders to be more extroverted, but extroverts can also learn from introverts by hiring good people and giving them space to work. The article also touches on the idea of introversion being associated with passiveness and how it can be effective in managing self-motivated individuals. However, the article's claims are not precise and it is debatable whether introversion or extroversion truly matters in leadership.

How much influence does Introversion/Extroversion have on one's leadership ability?

• Introversion/Extroversion plays a significant role in leadership ability

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Introversion/Extroversion plays a moderate role in leadership ability

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Introversion/Extroversion plays a nominal role in leadership ability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Introversion/Extroversion plays no role in leadership ability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on the employees

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • It depends on the project

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It depends on the company

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Dembadon
Gold Member
Here is an article I read in The Atlantic this morning:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/07/hire-introverts/9041/

Hire Introverts

By SUSAN CAIN

“Hire good people and leave them alone.”

So declared William McKnight, who was 3M’s unassuming CEO during the 1930s and ’40s, and who encouraged employees to spend 15 percent of their time noodling on their own pet projects. (The policy survives to this day at 3M, and gave birth to the Post-it note, among other innovations.)

McKnight’s philosophy anticipated one of the most intriguing breakthroughs in recent leadership theory. According to a team of researchers led by the Wharton management professor Adam Grant, introverted leaders typically deliver better outcomes than extroverts, because they’re more likely to let proactive employees run with their ideas. Extroverted leaders, who like to be at the center of attention, may feel threatened by employees who take too much initiative (but do outperform introverts when managing less proactive workers who rely on their leader for inspiration).

Grant’s research echoes other findings on the power of introverts. They’re persistent—give them a difficult puzzle to solve, and they’ll analyze it before diving in, then work at it diligently. (“It’s not that I’m so smart,” said Einstein. “It’s that I stay with problems longer.”) And they’re careful risk-takers: less likely to get into car accidents, participate in extreme sports—or place outsize financial bets. (Warren Buffett is a self-described introvert who attributes his success to his temperament.)

Introverts are also comfortable with solitude—a crucial spur to creativity. When the psychologists Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and Gregory Feist studied the lives of the most-creative people across a variety of fields, they almost always found visionaries who were introverted enough to spend large chunks of time alone.

Management literature is full of advice for introverted leaders on how to be more extroverted, says Grant: Smile more! Practice your public speaking! But extroverts might take a page from their introverted peers, too—by hiring good people and leaving them alone.

How do you feel about this article? Personally, I think it depends on the project and those being managed.

Edit: I forgot to add that I believe Introversion/Extroversion plays a moderate role in leadership ability, with the caveats I've mentioned.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you take "too much initiative", it might require involvement of other teams etc. Your supervisor need to be supportive and proactive enough to help with dealing outside people. I believe "introvert people" might not be capable of supporting you. That being said I disagree with:
Extroverted leaders, who like to be at the center of attention, may feel threatened by employees who take too much initiative
That being said I don't believe too much in Introversion/Extroversion. I often see so many articles on the internet related to how introverts should be treated with the respect.

P.S. On separate note, does introversion also refers to passiveness i.e. is the article trying to say passive leaders can be good also?

From what I've read on the subject, which admittedly isn't much, what really matters for leadership is how good you are with people. What people tend to admire is a leader who is skilled with reconciling and avoiding conflict, but willing to stand up for what they believe in if they think it is important. If you don't have those qualities whether you are introverted or extroverted might not matter much.

rootX said:
When you take "too much initiative", it might require involvement of other teams etc. Your supervisor need to be supportive and proactive enough to help with dealing outside people. I believe "introvert people" might not be capable of supporting you. That being said I disagree with:

That being said I don't believe too much in Introversion/Extroversion. I often see so many articles on the internet related to how introverts should be treated with the respect.

P.S. On separate note, does introversion also refers to passiveness i.e. is the article trying to say passive leaders can be good also?

Hi rootX, even though the article isn't very precise with its claims, it does seem to suggest that introverts are the more passive of the two. It claims such a style is effective when managing people who don't need constant inspiration.

Dembadon said:
Hi rootX, even though the article isn't very precise with its claims, it does seem to suggest that introverts are the more passive of the two. It claims such a style is effective when managing people who don't need constant inspiration.
I'm in the middle of reading A Beautiful Mind. They're at the part where Nash worked for Rand. The Rand leader's policy was exactly what this article describes: hire good people then leave them alone. The layout of the offices and such was, however, designed to "maximize chance meetings" in the hallways.

Related to Introversion/Extroversion's role in leadership ability

1. What is the difference between introversion and extroversion?

Introversion and extroversion are two opposite ends of a spectrum in terms of personality traits. Introverts tend to be more reserved, reflective, and prefer to spend time alone. Extroverts, on the other hand, are more outgoing, sociable, and thrive in group settings. However, it is important to note that individuals can possess both introverted and extroverted traits to varying degrees.

2. Can introverts be effective leaders?

Absolutely. While extroverted traits may be more traditionally associated with leadership, introverts possess many qualities that make them effective leaders. These include strong listening skills, thoughtfulness, and the ability to think deeply and critically. Introverted leaders may excel in roles that require a more analytical and strategic approach.

3. How does introversion/extroversion influence leadership style?

Introversion and extroversion can influence leadership style in several ways. Extroverted leaders may be more comfortable in the spotlight and tend to be more outgoing and assertive. On the other hand, introverted leaders may prefer to lead from behind the scenes and may be more reflective and thoughtful in their decision-making. Both styles can be effective, and it ultimately depends on the individual and the situation.

4. Do introverted leaders have any challenges in the workplace?

While introverted leaders may have strengths in certain areas, they may also face challenges in the workplace. For example, they may find it difficult to speak up in group settings or promote themselves and their achievements. However, with self-awareness and intentional effort, introverted leaders can overcome these challenges and excel in their roles.

5. Can introversion/extroversion be used to determine leadership potential?

While introversion and extroversion can provide insights into an individual's personality, they should not be used as the sole determinant of leadership potential. A person's character, skills, and experiences are also important factors to consider. It is important to recognize and value the strengths of both introverted and extroverted individuals in leadership positions.

Back