Introductory Rotational Motion Question

In summary, the paragraph explains that acceleration is a vector quantity, which has both magnitude and direction. Linear acceleration is a change in magnitude, while centripetal acceleration is a change in direction.
Jazz
I'm beginning the chapter of Rotational Motion and Angular Momentum and it says the following which got me confused:

Acceleration.jpg

Source: http://cnx.org/contents/031da8d3-b525-429c-80cf-6c8ed997733a@8.32:68/College_Physics

When I was introduced acceleration at the beginning, it was stated that an acceleration ##a = \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}## can be a change either in speed's magnitude or direction; or both. In other words, in any case I would be dealing with an acceleration ##a##.

Does it mean that this is not true?
Do I need to be more specific?
If linear acceleration ##a_t## is a change in the speed's magnitude and ##a_c## a change in its direction, how is the change in speed's magnitude and direction at the same time called? Just acceleration?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is a vector quantity, has both magnitude and direction. ## \vec v = v \vec {e}## where v is the magnitude of the velocity (called 'speed') and ##\vec e ## is an unit vector in the direction of the velocity.

Acceleration is also vector, the time derivative of the velocity: ##\vec a = \frac {d \vec v}{dt}##. Applying product rule ## \vec a = \frac {d \vec v}{dt} = \frac {d (v \vec e)}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dt} \vec e + v \frac {d \vec e}{dt}##. The first term is acceleration in the original direction: linear acceleration at. The second term is the centripetal acceleration, corresponding to the change of the direction.

ehild said:
Velocity is a vector quantity, has both magnitude and direction. ## \vec v = v \vec {e}## where v is the magnitude of the velocity (called 'speed') and ##\vec e ## is an unit vector in the direction of the velocity.

Acceleration is also vector, the time derivative of the velocity: ##\vec a = \frac {d \vec v}{dt}##. Applying product rule ## \vec a = \frac {d \vec v}{dt} = \frac {d (v \vec e)}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dt} \vec e + v \frac {d \vec e}{dt}##. The first term is acceleration in the original direction: linear acceleration at. The second term is the centripetal acceleration, corresponding to the change of the direction.

Aah, I see that the statement of the paragraph above does not contradict what I learned about acceleration, as I was thinking.

Now it's much clearer.

Thank you :)

Related to Introductory Rotational Motion Question

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It involves the object rotating or spinning in a circular motion.

What is the difference between rotational motion and linear motion?

The main difference between rotational motion and linear motion is the type of movement. In rotational motion, the object moves in a circular motion around an axis, while in linear motion, the object moves in a straight line.

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. It is measured in radians per second and is equal to the change in angle over time.

How is rotational motion related to torque?

Rotational motion is related to torque through Newton's second law, which states that the net torque acting on an object is equal to the object's moment of inertia multiplied by its angular acceleration. In simpler terms, the greater the torque applied to an object, the greater its rotational acceleration will be.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration as objects with a smaller moment of inertia.