Rotational motion thought experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of applying two forces of equal magnitude and direction at different distances from the center of mass of a stick in space. It is mentioned that one force would cause only translational motion while the other would also have angular momentum. The work done on the stick would differ in direction and amount, resulting in different forms of kinetic energy. The acceleration of the center of mass would also differ over time. The conversation reveals confusion about the path of the center of mass and the direction of the force, and suggests simplifying the scenario to better understand the effects of the forces.
pgardn
So say we have a stick in space with the CM in the middle and we apply two forces of equal magnitude and direction over the same time, one force at the CM, and the other at some distance away from the CM.

Ideas:
1. One would obtain just translational motion the other would have both translational and angular
2. One would not have angular momentum with respect to the path of the CM the other would, but both would have momentum in general.
3. One would have more work done on it in the same direction, the other would have work done in differing directions.
4. One would have only translational kinetic energy, one would have both translational and rotational K.
5. The acceleration of the CM would differ over this time.
6. I don't know quite how to think about the total distance over which the Force is applied for the Force at some distance away from the center of mass.

And its number 6 that got me wondering about all kinds of misconceptions. Any little piece of guidance that could make my ideas more accurate, because I break down at #6.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you want to keep applying the same off-center force, it will have to follow the spot that it is being applied on. Is that what you are asking?

Last edited:
Im saying that it is given that the Force at some distance R away from the CM stays in the same direction and magnitude as the one at the CM

And this brings me to an error already. My #3 is incorrect. The work would be in differing directions throughout. (just reposted, this is wrong.)
I just started thinking about my initial conditions to compare, and then I realized I might not understand rotational motion very well.

Yes I am confused as to how these would compare. Now I am thinking about the path both would take and I am confused. Since the direction of the acceleration is changing.

Last edited:
#3 is again wrong. The work would be in the same direction, but the r would be changing so the amount of work would be changing. And since I don't know how to figure out the direction, I am lost on the work done.

This is a tough one for me. So #3 and #6 have me confused.

If you apply the same force for the same time, the point of application for the one applied at some distance from the CM will move more. Thus, that force will do more work.

Obviously, if you keep pushing the thing will rotate and the distance from the CM will change. Instead of worrying about that complication, first treat the simpler case where the force is applied only for a short time.

Doc Al said:
If you apply the same force for the same time, the point of application for the one applied at some distance from the CM will move more. Thus, that force will do more work.

Obviously, if you keep pushing the thing will rotate and the distance from the CM will change. Instead of worrying about that complication, first treat the simpler case where the force is applied only for a short time.

Short time meaning just to start an impulse, or give no impulse...? Just a FBD at one moment? Enough time for distance to change in both directions or one direction?
How would the path of the CM look in 2-d though for off center torque?

Ok

1. Same as my original
2. Same as my original
3. Work done in both cases,
4. same as original
5. I am now thinking the acceleration would be the same, but I am not sure why...
6. NA I guess.

I think I might be even more confused now thinking about Kinetic energy as well

pgardn said:
Short time meaning just to start an impulse, or give no impulse...?
Give it some impulse; you want the force to act for some time.

pgardn said:
Just a FBD at one moment?
It would be useful to apply Newton's 2nd law for that moment.

pgardn said:
Enough time for distance to change in both directions or one direction?
Keep it simple. Keep the force acting in the same direction for the duration of the impulse.

pgardn said:
How would the path of the CM look in 2-d though for off center torque?
The acceleration (and subsequent path) of the CM is determined by the net force acting on the object. It doesn't matter where that force is applied.

And thanks for your time.
Im just testing myself and I realize there are holes in my thinking.

You just sparked some rethinking. And yes, I am stating the force keeps acting in the same direction for both cases. I just screwed up. I am not even following my own experiment.
Thanks. I am now rethinking some other stuff as well. I might come back and post again about some other ideas on this. This was initiated by how odd the rod held parallel with a pivot at one end and then released could give the results it did. Until I realized the force causing rotation, gravity, was differing in its torque. Max to begin with, zero when the rod is perpendicular to the ground or parallel to mg. Then thinking about energy considerations, and the change in the CM.

Related to Rotational motion thought experiments

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, spinning tops, and planets orbiting around a star.

2. How do we measure rotational motion?

Rotational motion is measured using angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These values are typically represented using units of radians, radians per second, and radians per second squared, respectively.

3. What are some examples of rotational motion thought experiments?

Some examples of rotational motion thought experiments include the spinning wheel paradox, the rotating platform thought experiment, and the spinning coin experiment. These experiments are used to explore the concepts of angular momentum, torque, and centripetal force.

4. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis. In linear motion, the velocity and acceleration vectors are in the same direction, while in rotational motion, they are perpendicular to each other.

5. How does rotational motion impact everyday life?

Rotational motion plays a significant role in our daily lives. It is responsible for the functioning of various machines and devices such as engines, turbines, and ceiling fans. It also helps us understand natural phenomena, such as the movement of planets and the spinning of the Earth.