Introductory Quantum HW (Angular Momentum)

In summary: It seems you are on the right track, but you need to continue with the commutation relations:[Lx,Ly]ψ = LxLyψ - LyLxψ= (i*h-bar*Lzψ)Ly - Ly(i*h-bar*Lzψ)= i*h-bar*Lz(Lyψ) - i*h-bar*(LyLzψ)= i*h-bar*(-LyLzψ) - i*h-bar*(LyLzψ) = 0Since [Lx,Ly]ψ = 0, this also means that Lxψ = 0 and Lyψ = 0. Therefore, Lx and Ly must both
stefan10

Homework Statement

Consider a three-dimensional system with wave function ψ. If ψ is in the l = 0 state, we already know that Lzψ=0. Show that Lxψ=0 and Lyψ=0 as well.

Homework Equations

[Lx,Ly]ψ = i*h-bar*Lzψ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble figuring out where to start this. I think it should be clear and straight-forward, but for some reason I'm just not seeing how I can derive this. I tried using the above equation, to get

[Lx,Ly]ψ=0.

I assume from here I would prove that this is only true of Lxψ and Lyψ are 0. That is assuming, I'm on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried that out to see what you get?
i.e. expand out the commutator.

Since you have ##\psi:\text{L}_z\psi=0## do you know what happens when you try to do ##\text{L}_x\psi##?

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Have you tried that out to see what you get?
i.e. expand out the commutator.

Since you have ##\psi:\text{L}_z\psi=0## do you know what happens when you try to do ##\text{L}_x\psi##?

The question states Lz ψ = 0, I don't have any specific function for ψ. I think the question makes this claim because Lz= m*h-bar, and m=0 if l=0.

Could I possibly conclude that L^2 = 0 since l=0, and therefore L^2 = Lz^2+Lx^2+Ly^2 implies Lx = Ly =0?

L^2 = l(l+1)h-bar

Last edited:
You don't need a specific function - you have to exploit the relationships: using your understanding of QM.
The question is telling you that the system is prepared in an eigenstate of the Lz operator.

Could I possibly conclude that L^2 = 0 since l=0, and therefore L^2 = Lz^2+Lx^2+Ly^2 implies Lx = Ly =0?
... consider: can operators take values by themselves?
(you will need to be careful about this to do the problem)
What does the ##l## quantum number refer to in this case?

Part of the reason these questions get set is to force you to do a long-winded exploration before finding the simple solution. Thus, you are best advised to settle on a direction for your inquiry and see it through rather than take random jumps around the theory.

Until you settle on something, there's not much I can do to help.
Did you try any of the other suggestions?

Firstly, let's clarify the notation. Lx, Ly, and Lz represent the x, y, and z components of the angular momentum operator, respectively. The wave function ψ represents the state of the system, which can be described by a combination of quantum numbers, including the angular momentum quantum number l.

In this problem, we are given that the system is in the l = 0 state, which means that the total angular momentum is 0, and thus Lx, Ly, and Lz must all equal 0. We can use this information to show that Lxψ=0 and Lyψ=0.

Starting with the given equation [Lx, Ly]ψ = i*h-bar*Lzψ, we can solve for Lxψ and Lyψ separately.

[Lx, Ly]ψ = i*h-bar*Lzψ
LxLyψ - LyLxψ = i*h-bar*Lzψ
Since Lzψ = 0 for the l = 0 state, we can substitute this in to get:
LxLyψ - LyLxψ = 0

Using the commutator relation for angular momentum operators, [Lx, Ly] = i*h-bar*Lz, we can rewrite this equation as:
i*h-bar*Lzψ - LyLxψ = 0
Lzψ = LyLxψ

Since Lzψ = 0 for the l = 0 state, we can conclude that LyLxψ = 0.

Similarly, we can use the commutator relation [Ly, Lx] = -i*h-bar*Lz to show that LxLyψ = 0.

Therefore, we have shown that both Lxψ and Lyψ equal 0 for the l = 0 state, as required. This result makes sense intuitively, as the angular momentum operators represent the three components of angular momentum, and if the total angular momentum is 0, then each component must also be 0.

Related to Introductory Quantum HW (Angular Momentum)

1. What is angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of a particle. In quantum mechanics, it is described by the operator L and can have discrete values due to the quantization of energy levels.

2. How is angular momentum calculated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is calculated using the operator L, which acts on the wave function of a particle. The magnitude of angular momentum is given by the square root of the inner product of the wave function and its complex conjugate, while the direction is determined by the direction of the operator L.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and spin in quantum mechanics?

Spin is a type of intrinsic angular momentum that particles possess in addition to their orbital angular momentum. In quantum mechanics, the total angular momentum of a particle is the sum of its spin and orbital angular momentum, and both contribute to the quantization of energy levels.

4. What are the applications of angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum has various applications in quantum mechanics, including the description of atomic and molecular systems, the prediction of energy levels in quantum systems, and the understanding of magnetic properties of materials. It is also a crucial concept in the study of quantum mechanics principles, such as the uncertainty principle and the Pauli exclusion principle.

5. How does the concept of angular momentum relate to the wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles are described by wave functions, which exhibit both particle-like and wave-like properties. The concept of angular momentum helps to explain this duality, as it represents the rotational motion of a particle while also being a fundamental property of waves. This duality is further explored in the study of quantum mechanics, such as in the famous double-slit experiment.