Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths

In summary, a book recommended to someone studying quantum mechanics is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J.Griffiths." However, the book is not perfect and may not be suitable for everyone.
KT KIM
I want to study quantum mechanics for undergrad level, and found out really lots of people recommends "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J.Griffiths" which is
51Lj0oHXygL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Alright, so I visited my school book store for this cat-pictured book. and found

415iwjPFzDL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

this puzzle-pictured book. Same name same author. but not the cat one.

Are these are same books?

I am not in English-using country.
Is it merely just a international edition?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have read that these Pearson International copies of Griffiths texts are terrible. Poor quality binding, out of order, and in some cases missing entire chapters. David Griffith himself posted an apology on his website.

It could just be the Electrodynamics that had this issue. But personally I would be wary.

Yes, the international edition is terrible. Many maths symbols are not printed properly or not printed at all.

There are two kinds of international editions - the ones that are printed in newsprint paper in India. Other than the paper quality, the book is actually decent and readable Here is how it looks. You can't beat the price $12.90
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9332542899/?tag=pfamazon01-20

However, the one in the second picture is possibly for the European market and is supposed to have much better paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez.. I never knew this book is that wrong.
However it is really hard to get cat one in my country(too expensive or out of stocks in here s.korea), maybe I should look for other options.

Well, I'm not so sure about Griffiths's book, although I've never had too close a look at it. From discussions in this forums it however occurs to me that it is sometimes a bit sloppy in the math leading to some confusion, particularly for beginners. I personally still prefer Sakurai ##\geq 2^{\text{nd}}## edition (because it contains very nice additional chapters on interesting topics like the Aharonov-Bohm effect that are not contained in the 1st edition), from which I once started to learn QM in the theoretical-physics lecture course.

Related to Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths

1. What is the main focus of "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths"?

The main focus of this book is to introduce readers to the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics, including wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and the Schrödinger equation.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics?

Yes, this book is designed for beginners and does not require any prior knowledge of quantum mechanics. It provides a clear and accessible introduction to the subject.

3. What sets this book apart from other textbooks on quantum mechanics?

One of the key features of this book is its use of examples and exercises to illustrate and reinforce the concepts presented. It also includes discussions of modern applications of quantum mechanics, such as quantum computing and cryptography.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding this book?

A basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is helpful, but not necessary. The book covers the necessary mathematical concepts as they are introduced.

5. Can this book be used for self-study or is it best used in a classroom setting?

This book can be used for self-study, as it includes a comprehensive and self-contained introduction to quantum mechanics. However, it can also be used in a classroom setting as a textbook for an introductory course on the subject.