Introduction to Quantum Chromodynamics: A Textbook

In summary: So it was changedIn summary, there are no good introductory textbooks or pdfs for quantum chromodynamics at the level of junior high school without any knowledge of calculus. However, there are popular-level physics books available that do not require calculus, such as "Quarks" by Y. Nambu and "The Quantum Quark" by A. Watson. It is also recommended to start with an easier topic, such as "Introduction to quantum mechanics" by David Griffiths, before delving into QCD.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
Is there a good introduction textbook or pdf for quantum chromodynamics?

Physics news on Phys.org
At what level?

Well, at the level possible for a junior high school knowing nothing about calculus to understand 60+ percent:oops:(Do such books exist with such a hard topic?)

Last edited:
No.

Likes dextercioby, Amrator, Demystifier and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
No.
Never mind. Currently learning calculus(It's so diificult ...):olduhh:

Well, calculus is not that difficult, if you learn it in the physics context. Which book are you using? Usually school books (at least German school books) are less understandable than introductory university textbooks, because they try to be didactical and obscure the intuitive as well as the abstract meaning of the subject. Among the university textbooks the books for pure mathematicians who must learn everything with full rigor, are more difficult than the more applied once. When I was at high school I had big trouble with math and couldn't understand my school books. Then I went to the library of my home time and got some book "Calculus for Engineers". This was the revelation, and I got hooked up with math and finally physics ;-)). I think math is the one subject of all sciences which gets distorted most in school.

Likes Hamiltonian and YoungPhysicist
YoungPhysicist said:
Is there a good introduction textbook or pdf for quantum chromodynamics?

Since you mention you are in high school I recommend you start with something easier. You should read "Introduction to quantum mechanics" by David Griffiths, I love that book. Griffiths is clear and wholesome and he derives every single theorem and formula with unwavering patience

Hm, given the many confused questions from readers of this book in this forum, I'm not so sure. Also it's a textbook at the university level, which you read in the 4th semester or so. For an ambitioned high-school student I'd rather recommend

https://www.amazon.de/dp/0465062903/

Once you get a hand on calc1 and solving some basic linear differential equations (and maybe PDE's with variable seperation), you could watch MIT ocw's 8.04-6, infact Barton Zwiebach(the lecturer for these courses) recently published his new book on these three courses, "Mastering quantum mechanics Essentials, theory and applications" (https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/mastering-quantum-mechanics)
I would also say the first few chapters of Griffiths QM are not too bad either, to get some initial "intuition" and feel for the subject.

Edit: just saw the dates on the post, the OP is probably not in HS anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes physicsworks and Demystifier
YoungPhysicist said:
Well, at the level possible for a junior high school knowing nothing about calculus to understand 60+ percent:oops:(Do such books exist with such a hard topic?)
There is no serious physics, let alone QCD, without calculus. That being said, there is a lot of good popular-level physics books, which are not serious in that sense, but which do not need calculus. Some of those are specifically about QCD:
Y. Nambu, Quarks
A. Watson, The Quantum Quark

Likes physicsworks, vanhees71 and Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian said:
Edit: just saw the dates on the post, the OP is probably not in HS anymore
I thought that old threads automatically get closed.

Demystifier said:
I thought that old threads automatically get closed.
The mods are probably going to close this one any time time now...

Frigorifico9 said:
Since you mention you are in high school
That was 4 years ago. Hopefully he's done with high school by now.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
Demystifier said:
old threads automatically get closed.
People complained.

Likes Demystifier

Related to Introduction to Quantum Chromodynamics: A Textbook

1. What is Quantum Chromodynamics?

Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD) is a fundamental theory in particle physics that describes the interactions between quarks and gluons, the building blocks of matter. It is a quantum field theory that falls under the umbrella of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. Is "Introduction to Quantum Chromodynamics: A Textbook" suitable for beginners?

Yes, this textbook is designed to be accessible for students with a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and special relativity. It provides a comprehensive introduction to QCD, starting with the foundational concepts and building up to more advanced topics.

3. What makes this textbook unique compared to others on QCD?

This textbook is unique in that it not only covers the theoretical aspects of QCD, but also includes practical applications and examples. It also includes recent developments in the field, such as the study of quark-gluon plasma and the use of lattice QCD techniques.

4. Can I use this textbook for self-study?

Yes, this textbook is suitable for self-study as it includes exercises and problems at the end of each chapter for practice. It also provides detailed explanations and illustrations to aid understanding.

5. What background knowledge do I need to have before studying QCD?

A basic understanding of quantum mechanics, special relativity, and classical electromagnetism is necessary before studying QCD. Familiarity with group theory and calculus is also helpful, but not required. It is recommended to have completed an introductory course in particle physics before delving into QCD.