Introduction to Proofs: One-to-One and Onto Problem

In summary, One-to-one means that for every element y in the codomain Y, there exists a unique element x in the domain X such that f(x)=y. On the other hand, onto means that for every element y in the codomain Y, there exists at least one element x in the domain X such that f(x)=y. To show that f^(-1) is one-to-one if and only if f is onto, we need to prove that for any subsets Y1 and Y2 of Y, f-1(Y1) = f-1(Y2) implies Y1 = Y2. This can be done by using the fact that f is onto to show that f-1(Y) is non
rdr3
1. Given: Let f: X → Y be a function. Then we have an associated function f-1: P(Y) → P(X), where f-1 (B)⊂X is the inverse image of B⊂Y.

Question: Show that f^(-1) is one-to-one if and only if f is onto.

[Notes: ⊂ represents subspace, I just couldn’t find a way to put the line under the symbol.
f-1 indicates the inverse of f.]

2. Ok so I know that One-to-one means we have f(x1)=f(x2), thus giving us x1=x2. And onto is ∀y∈Y, ∃x : f(x)=y.

3. What I did was just say that f-1(y1)=f-1(y2)=x thus giving me y1=y2. Or I tried proving it the other way by way of Contradiction. Saying that if f-1(y1)=f-1(y2)=x, but y1≠y2. Then we would get f(x)=y1 and f(x)=y2 but y1≠y2, thus making it not a function. So that's what I was able to come up with.

Physics news on Phys.org
the domain of f-1 isn't the elements of Y, it's the subsets of Y.

it's not enough just to prove that f-1 is injective on singleton sets, without extending this to every subset of Y.

what you want to do is something like this:

suppose f-1(Y1) = f-1(Y2),

for Y1,Y2 ⊆ Y.

let y1 be an element of Y1.

then if x1 is in f-1(y1), x1 is in f-1(Y1), (since f(x1) = y1, which is in Y1). <--the fact that f is onto used HERE (see below).

but f-1(Y1) = f-1(Y2),

so x1 is in f-1(Y2), so y1 = f(x1) is in Y2.

thus Y1 ⊆ Y2.

(you should now show that likewise, Y2 ⊆ Y1).

there's one more subtle point to observe: we need to know that f-1(Y1) is non-empty for any non-empty subset Y1 of Y (so that our x1 in the proof actually exists).

this is where the fact that f is onto comes into play, if y is ANY element of Y (including those y1 that live in Y1) then there exists x in f-1(y),
which is a subset of f-1(Y).

so if Y1 is non-empty, f-1(Y1) is non-empty (it contains at least one element that is a pre-image of at least one element of Y1).

Related to Introduction to Proofs: One-to-One and Onto Problem

1. What is the purpose of learning about one-to-one and onto problems in proofs?

The purpose of learning about one-to-one and onto problems in proofs is to understand how to rigorously prove mathematical statements. These concepts are essential for constructing logical arguments and are the foundation of higher-level mathematics.

2. What is a one-to-one function?

A one-to-one function is a function where each input has a unique output. In other words, no two inputs can have the same output. This concept is often referred to as injectivity.

3. What is an onto function?

An onto function is a function where the range (or output) of the function is equal to the entire co-domain (or possible output). In other words, every element in the co-domain has at least one corresponding input. This concept is often referred to as surjectivity.

4. How do you prove that a function is one-to-one?

To prove that a function is one-to-one, you must show that no two inputs have the same output. This can be done by assuming that two inputs have the same output and then using logical reasoning to reach a contradiction. Another way is to show that the function has an inverse, which is only possible if the function is one-to-one.

5. How do you prove that a function is onto?

To prove that a function is onto, you must show that every element in the co-domain has at least one corresponding input. This can be done by showing that the range of the function is equal to the entire co-domain or by finding a pre-image for every element in the co-domain. Another way is to show that the function has a left inverse, which is only possible if the function is onto.