Introduction To Calculus Problem (Intersection)

In summary, the question is asking for the coordinates of two points of tangency to the curve y=-2x^2 given that the corresponding tangent lines intersect at (2,8). To find these points, the derivative of the function is used to determine the equations of the tangent lines. These equations are then set equal to the point (2,8) to create a quadratic equation, which gives the coordinates of the two points of tangency when solved.
galeontiger
Hello.
Right now: we're learning about derivatives.

And the questions reads: Determine the coordinates of two points of tangency to the curve y=-2x^2, given that the corresponding tangent lines intersect at (2,8).

What I know:
I know that the derivative of the function is y'= -4x
I know I have to find two equations of lines (equations of the tangent lines). That when I perform the method of elimination (substition, or subtraction), the results will give me 2 for x and 8 for y.
And maybe there's an easier to find it out using derivatives?

But I'm not sure how to start off this question.
The answer in the back of the book is (2+2root2, -24-16root2) and (2-2root2,-24+16root2).

Thank you for the much needed help.

Physics news on Phys.org
galeontiger said:
Hello.
Right now: we're learning about derivatives.

And the questions reads: Determine the coordinates of two points of tangency to the curve y=-2x^2, given that the corresponding tangent lines intersect at (2,8).

What I know:
I know that the derivative of the function is y'= -4x

I know I have to find two equations of lines (equations of the tangent lines). That when I perform the method of elimination (substition, or subtraction), the results will give me 2 for x and 8 for y.
And maybe there's an easier to find it out using derivatives?

But I'm not sure how to start off this question.
The answer in the back of the book is (2+2root2, -24-16root2) and (2-2root2,-24+16root2).

Thank you for the much needed help.
No, there is no easier way- but writing down the equations is not all that difficult.

If a line is tangent to y= -2x2 at (x0, -2x02), you know it must pass through the point and have slope -4x0. That means its equation must be y= (-4x0)(x- x0)- 2x02.

Any such line through (2, 8) must satisfy 8= (-4x)0(2- x0)- 2x02. That gives you a quadratic to solve for x0- the two solutions give you the two points.

Excellent. Thank you. I got the right answer!

Related to Introduction To Calculus Problem (Intersection)

1. What is an intersection in calculus?

An intersection in calculus refers to the point or points at which two or more curves intersect on a graph. It is the point where the value of the independent variable is the same for both curves.

2. How do you find the intersection of two equations?

To find the intersection of two equations, you can set the equations equal to each other and solve for the value of the independent variable. This will give you the x-coordinate of the intersection point. To find the y-coordinate, you can substitute the x-value into either of the original equations and solve for y.

3. Can there be more than one intersection point between two curves?

Yes, it is possible for there to be more than one intersection point between two curves. This occurs when the two curves intersect more than once on the graph.

4. How can intersections be used in real life applications?

Intersections are commonly used in real life applications such as traffic control, where the intersection of two roads determines the flow of traffic. They are also used in physics and engineering to find the point where two objects or forces intersect.

5. What are the different types of intersections in calculus?

The different types of intersections in calculus include intersection points, where two curves intersect at a single point; tangent points, where two curves touch at a single point; and overlapping points, where two curves overlap and have the same value at a certain point.