Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting

In summary, Physicsforums.com has introduced the addition of LaTeX mathematical typesetting to their forum software. This professional-grade typesetting system allows for pleasing mathematical presentation and can be included in any post on the forum. Users can include LaTeX graphics by using the [ tex ]...[ /tex ] or [ itex ]...[ /itex ] tags, with the latter being used for inline graphics. The forum provides a pdf file and symbol reference for the most useful LaTeX commands, symbols, and constructs. The amsmath package is also available for more information. Examples of various techniques are provided, including subscripts, superscripts, and equations. Users can also use the [ tex usepackage= ] tag to include additional packages.
[tex]...[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\int_{2}^{3} \frac{\arctan}{\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}}dx
[/tex]...lol...Thanks jcsd...that was a really dumb mistake :smile:

Last edited:
You need to produce your equation you need to write:

[tex]\int_{2}^{3} \frac{\arctan}{\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}}dx
[/tex]

yeah i got it...thanks a million...that was going to drive me crazy :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow \0} \sumf(x)\Delta = \int_{a}^{b}f(x) dx
[/tex]

Last edited:
Does anyone know how I can get this to work locally with windows. I downloaded a couple of programs and I didn't really get any of them to actually show the fomulas.

[tex]
\int_{0}^{h} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{hx}} dx =
\frac{1}{2\sqrt{h}}(2x^\frac{1}{2}) \vert_{0}^{h} = 1[/tex]

Last edited:
You'll need a LaTeX distribution (for example, www.miktex.org).
Basically, you take the latex file (file.tex) and run latex on it.
You get file.dvi, which can be viewed in a dvi viewer (called yap in miktex).

integral as an exponent

Hi, I am trying to use latex to display a math problem but I am having a little trouble getting started, and the function I want to display is a little bit weird.

I(x) = e^ (the integral of -tan x dx)

I am not even sure it can display an integral as an exponent, but I seem to be having plenty of trouble just getting it to display e!

Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
Hi, I am trying to use latex to display a math problem but I am having a little trouble getting started, and the function I want to display is a little bit weird.

I(x) = e^ (the integral of -tan x dx)

I am not even sure it can display an integral as an exponent, but I seem to be having plenty of trouble just getting it to display e!

Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:

[tex]I(x)=e^{-\int tanx\:dx}[/tex]

woo hoo! muchas gracias, master coda!

Or even better, use \tan to make the tangent function to appear in upright letters:

[tex]e^{- \int \tan x \, dx}[/tex]

I knew it didn't quite look right. And I was looking so smart, too. :-p

They both look lovely. And it helped me get my math question answered. Thanks!

This is a test. I am pasting LaTex code from TexAide. Let's see if it works.
% MathType!MTEF!2!1!+-
% feqaeaartrvr0aaatCvAUfeBSjuyZL2yd9gzLbvyNv2CaerbuLwBLn
% hiov2DGi1BTfMBaeXatLxBI9gBaebbnrfifHhDYfgasaacH8srps0l
% bbf9q8WrFfeuY-Hhbbf9v8qqaqFr0xc9pk0xbba9q8WqFfea0-yr0R
% Yxir-Jbba9q8aq0-yq-He9q8qqQ8frFve9Fve9Ff0dmeaabaqaciGa
% caGaaeqabaaaamaaaOqaamaaEmaabaGaeqOXdygabaGaeuiQdKfaca
% GLPmIaay5bSlaawQYiaiabg2da9maapeaabaGaeqOXdy2aaWbaaSqa
% beaacqGHxiIkaaaabeqab0Gaey4kIipakmaabmaabaGaamiEaaGaay
% jkaiaawMcaaiabeI8a5naabmaabaGaamiEaaGaayjkaiaawMcaaiaa
% dsgacaWG4baaaa!46FB!
[itex]
\left\langle {\phi }
\mathrel{\left | {\vphantom {\phi \Psi }}
\right. \kern-\nulldelimiterspace}
{\Psi } \right\rangle = \int {\phi ^ * } \left( x \right)\psi \left( x \right)dx
[\latex]

OK, It didn't work.
I believe the text with percent signs at the beginning should be comments. I hope that is not interfeering.
But I do have the Latex code enclosed in the Latex delimiters. So, what's wrong?
I'll appreciate your help.
I'll next post just the LaTex part (to reduce the number of variables) and see what happens.

Last edited:
Second trial:
[itex]
\left\langle {\phi }
{\Psi } \right\rangle = \int {\phi ^ * } \left( x \right)\psi \left( x \right)dx
[\latex]

[tex]\alpha[\tex]
[tex]x^2\sqrt{x}[\tex]

Last edited:
Alex,

The tags are [ tex ] and [ /tex ], not [ tex ] and [ \tex ]. Forward slash, not backslash.

- Warren

Thanks, Warren
Let's see:
[tex]
\left\langle {\phi }
[/tex]
Great!

Last edited:
When I "preview post" to check my code, I am only allowed to preview once. Otherwise, the preview does not change. Because of this, I have been reverting to "post" all over again. What can I do?

It's your browser, not the site. Tell it to stop caching images that way.

- Warren

This is a test

[ tex ]
\nabla \times A = \left( {{{\partial A_z } \over {\partial y}} - {{\partial A_y } \over {\partial z}}} \right)i + \left( {{{\partial A_x } \over {\partial z}} - {{\partial A_z } \over {\partial x}}} \right)j + \left( {{{\partial A_y } \over {\partial x}} - {{\partial A_x } \over {\partial y}}} \right)k
[ /tex ]

Another, cause it sure isn't working yet from MathType:
[itex]
\[
\nabla \times A = \left( {\frac{{\partial A_z }}{{\partial y}} - \frac{{\partial A_y }}{{\partial z}}} \right)i + \left( {\frac{{\partial A_x }}{{\partial z}} - \frac{{\partial A_z }}{{\partial x}}} \right)j + \left( {\frac{{\partial A_y }}{{\partial x}} - \frac{{\partial A_x }}{{\partial y}}} \right)k
\]
[/itex]

Maybe i got it !

[itex]
\[
\nabla \times \,A = \frac{1}{{rsin\theta }}\left[ {\frac{{\partial (A_\phi sin\theta )}}{{\partial \theta }} - \frac{{\partial A_\theta }}{{\partial \phi }}} \right]\hat r + \frac{1}{r}\left[ {\frac{1}{{sin\theta }}\frac{{\partial A_r }}{{\partial \phi }} - \frac{{\partial (rA_\phi )}}{{\partial r}}} \right]\hat \theta + \frac{1}{r}\left[ {\frac{{\partial (rA_\theta )}}{{\partial r}} - \frac{{\partial A_r }}{{\partial \theta }}} \right]\hat \phi
\]
[/itex]

Cool ! But there seems to be a limit on width. I just type it into MathType
and choose the LaTeX 2 translator, then add latex in front and /latex
after (both in []), it works ! kinda.

Last edited:
Loren Booda said:
When I "preview post" to check my code, I am only allowed to preview once. Otherwise, the preview does not change. Because of this, I have been reverting to "post" all over again. What can I do?

To preview beyond the first time, [on IE6] I do a "refresh". It tells me that it has to resend information in the forms. When I say okay, the images are refreshed to reflect the latest TeX-rendering changes.

[tex]
\eq x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac} } {2a}
[/tex]

...wow - cool!

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity...whats the backend for conversion? Is it open source (I haven't seen the documentation in detail)?

Cheers
Vivek

We have color?

[tex]
\textcolor{red}{Test}
\begin{picture}(200,200)(0,0)
\put(50,50){\textcolor{green}{\line(1,1){50}}}
\end{picture}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{picture}(130,90)
\put(0,5){\epsfxsize=12cm \epsfbox{11.eps}}
\put(0,90){$\tau_{B_c} $, ps}
\put(123,7){$\mu$, GeV}
\end{picture}
[/tex]

This is a test.
This is not Latex. Just trying to see how to do greek letters and subscripts in regular html.
α<sub>i</sub>
Let's see how it looks.

Well, it didn't work. I have seen other people typing formulas without latex and I wonder how they do it.
What shows as "a" above I typed concatenating "&" "alpha" ";"
Does anybody know how to do this? I know how to do it in latex, I just want to know how to do it without latex.
I'll appreciate your help.

Last edited:
Like this?
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

[FONT = Symbol] abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz [ /FONT ] delete the spaces in the tags.

Symbol does not appear in the Font-menu.

Bear in mind that not everybody has the Symbol font, and even if you do, it doesn't work everywhere because of certain issues.

Robphy:
I think that way of doing it would be adequate for typing a string of greek characters. I am not so sure it is for typing individual characters interspersed with regular letters as in physics equations.
I used to know how to do this and I forgot. But the way I did it was not the way you suggest.
I also need to do subscripts an superscripts.

I was looking at the Font drop-down box and I don't see the font "symbol". Maybe this is what TALewis is talking about. I do have the symbol font when I am using MS Word, but not here. So I guess these fonts are not handled by the operating system. Whatever the solution, I would like of course for everybody to be able to see those greek letters correctly.

Math typesetting on the WWW has been one of the most frustrating things I have come across. Honestly, embedded images generated by LaTeX have been the best solution until something like MathML really gets into gear.

Thank you guys,
As answers to my question on this thread were slow to come at first and I figured that it might not be the best place to post a question about non-latex on a latex thread, I initiated a separate thread. I got more answers there and I think with those instructions I can do what I want. TALewis was very helpful on that thread.
Let's see if I can post a link to that thread:
Typing equations without latex

Last edited:
chroot
It's your browser, not the site. Tell it to stop caching images that way.
Would you mind going into more detail about "stop caching images" for this computer illiterate? My browser is Microsoft Explorer 6.0. Thanks.

chroot said:
If you have questions or comments about this site addition, you are welcome to post them here!

Good luck, and enjoy the system.

- Warren

This is a most excellent welcome back ! Thank you.( I have been too busy to surf recently ).