Intro to Proofs: Properties of Relations

In summary, the relation R is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive on set A if it satisfies the equations for reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. For the given problem, we can prove that the relation R is reflexive by showing that for any x in the set A, xRx. We can also prove that R is symmetric by showing that if xRy, then yRx. Finally, we can prove that R is transitive by showing that if xRy and yRz, then xRz.
Dembadon
Gold Member
Hello, I would like to check my arguments for this problem.

Homework Statement

Consider the relation [itex] R = \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R}: x-y \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/itex] on [itex]\mathbb{R} [/itex]. Prove that this relation is symmetric, reflexive, and transitive.

Homework Equations

Supposing a relation [itex]R[/itex] on a set [itex]A[/itex].

Reflexivity: Relation [itex] R [/itex] is reflexive if [itex] \forall x \in A, xRx [/itex].

Symmetry: Relation [itex] R [/itex] is symmetric if [itex] \forall x,y \in A, xRy \Rightarrow yRx [/itex].

Transitivity: Relation [itex] R [/itex] is transitive if [itex] \forall x,y,z \in A, \left((xRy) \land (yRz)\right) \Rightarrow xRz [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Reflexivity:

We choose any [itex] x \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] and discover that [itex] x - x = 0 [/itex], which is in [itex] \mathbb{Z} [/itex]. Therefore, we have [itex] xRx [/itex], showing that [itex] R [/itex] is reflexive on [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex].

Symmetry:

We can argue directly by assuming [itex] xRy [/itex]. This relation means we have [itex] (x - y) \in \mathbb{Z} [/itex]. It follows that [itex] -(x - y) [/itex], which is [itex] yRx [/itex], is also in [itex] \mathbb{Z} [/itex].

Transitivity:

If [itex] xRy [/itex] and [itex] yRz [/itex] are both integers, then adding them yields another integer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dembadon said:

Homework Statement

Consider the relation [itex] R = \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R}: x-y \in \mathbb{Z}\}[/itex] on [itex]\mathbb{R} [/itex]. Prove that this relation is symmetric, reflexive, and transitive.

Homework Equations

Reflexivity: Relation [itex] R [/itex] is reflexive if [itex] \forall x \in A, xRx [/itex].

Symmetry: Relation [itex] R [/itex] is symmetric if [itex] \forall x,y \in A, xRy \Rightarrow yRx [/itex].

Transitivity: Relation [itex] R [/itex] is transitive if [itex] \forall x,y,z \in A, \left((xRy) \land (yRz)\right) \Rightarrow xRz [/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Reflexivity:

We choose any [itex] x \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] and discover that [itex] x - x = 0 [/itex], which is in [itex] \mathbb{Z} [/itex]. Therefore, we have [itex] xRx [/itex], showing that [itex] R [/itex] is reflexive on [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex].

Symmetry:

We can argue directly by assuming [itex] xRy [/itex]. This relation means we have [itex] (x - y) \in \mathbb{Z} [/itex]. It follows that [itex] -(x - y) [/itex], which is [itex] yRx [/itex], is also in [itex] \mathbb{Z} [/itex].
It depends on how nit-picky you want to get, but it's probably better to say ##y-x \in \mathbb{Z}##, rather than ##-(x-y) \in \mathbb{Z}##, implies yRx.

Transitivity:

If [itex] xRy [/itex] and [itex] yRz [/itex] are both integers, then adding them yields another integer.
Right idea, but you should write out explicitly how xRy and yRz imply x-z is in Z.

Last edited:
Dembadon said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Transitivity:

You have the idea but you need to rewrite the transitive one. xRy is not an integer and neither is yRz, and you can't add them. Write more carefully what you mean.

vela said:
It depends on how nit-picky you want to get, but it's probably better to say ##y-x \in \mathbb{Z}##, rather than ##-(x-y) \in \mathbb{Z}##, implies yRx.

Gotcha.

Right idea, but you should write out explicitly how xRy and yRz implies x-z is in Z.

I understand. This is what I had in my head but omitted from my argument:

(x - y) + (y - z) = x - z, which is xRz.

I appreciate your input. :smile:

Related to Intro to Proofs: Properties of Relations

1. What is the purpose of an "Intro to Proofs" course?

An "Intro to Proofs" course is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and techniques of mathematical proofs. It teaches students how to think critically, logically, and rigorously in order to prove mathematical statements.

2. What are relations in mathematics?

In mathematics, a relation is a set of ordered pairs that describe the relationship between two or more objects or elements. It can be represented as a table, graph, or formula and is used to establish connections or patterns between elements.

3. What are the properties of relations?

The properties of relations include reflexivity, symmetry, transitivity, and equivalence. Reflexivity means that each element is related to itself, symmetry means that if x is related to y, then y is related to x, transitivity means that if x is related to y and y is related to z, then x is related to z, and equivalence means that a relation is both reflexive and symmetric.

4. Why are proofs important in mathematics?

Proofs are important in mathematics because they provide a solid and rigorous foundation for mathematical concepts and ideas. They allow mathematicians to logically and systematically verify the truth of mathematical statements, and to build upon existing knowledge to make new discoveries and advancements in the field.

5. How can I improve my skills in writing proofs?

To improve your skills in writing proofs, it is important to practice regularly and to seek feedback from your peers and instructors. You can also study and analyze different types of proofs and techniques used in various mathematical fields to gain a better understanding of how proofs are structured and written.