Intro to PDE: Related homogeneous boundary condtions

In summary: Your name]In summary, the user is asking for an example of a reference temperature distribution satisfying certain boundary conditions. The reference source function, Qr(x,t), is also requested for each case. The forum user provides a simple example of a heated and cooled metal rod with the corresponding boundary conditions and reference source functions.
Strawberry
(partial derivatives didn't carry over well, so I just used a d)

Homework Statement

Give an example (as simple as possible) of a reference temperature distribution r = r(x, t) satisfying the following boundary conditions

DN: r(0, t) = A(t), (dr(L,t) / dx) = B(t);
NN: (dr(0,t) / dx) = A(t); (dr(L,t) / dx )= B(t);

For each of the above BC, compute the reference source function:

Qr(x, t) =dr / dt−d(^2)r / dx(^2) .

Homework Equations

I don't know if these are actually relevant.

v(x,t) = u(x,t) - r(x,t)
dv/dt = d(^2)v / dx(^2) + [Q(x,t) - dr / dt + d(^2)r / dt + d(^2)r / dx(^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically just solved r for the boundary conditions then took the derivatives with respect to t and x to find Qr(x,t), but I don't know if that's right. My answer for the DN case of Qr ended up as : dA / dt + ( dB / dt )*x

Are solutions like that okay, or am I supposed to be doing something else?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To give you a simple example, let's say we have a metal rod of length L that is heated at one end and cooled at the other. The temperature distribution along the rod at a given time t can be represented by the function r(x,t), where x is the distance along the rod and t is time. The boundary conditions for this scenario would be:

DN: r(0,t) = A(t), (dr/dx)(L,t) = B(t)
NN: (dr/dx)(0,t) = A(t), (dr/dx)(L,t) = B(t)

For the DN case, the reference source function would be:

Qr(x,t) = ∂r/∂t - ∂^2r/∂x^2 = ∂A/∂t - ∂^2B/∂x^2

For the NN case, the reference source function would be:

Qr(x,t) = ∂r/∂t - ∂^2r/∂x^2 = ∂A/∂t - ∂^2A/∂x^2

Note that in both cases, the reference source function is a function of both x and t. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Intro to PDE: Related homogeneous boundary condtions

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A PDE is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to multiple independent variables. It describes how a quantity varies with respect to two or more independent variables.

2. What are homogeneous boundary conditions?

Homogeneous boundary conditions for a PDE are boundary conditions that require the solution to be equal to zero at the boundary. This means that the function and its derivatives must vanish at the boundary, making the boundary a natural or "homogeneous" extension of the interior solution.

3. How are homogeneous boundary conditions related to PDEs?

Homogeneous boundary conditions are commonly used in PDEs to ensure that the solution is well-defined and unique. They are also used to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve analytically or numerically.

4. What are some examples of PDEs with homogeneous boundary conditions?

Some examples of PDEs with homogeneous boundary conditions include the heat equation, wave equation, Laplace's equation, and Poisson's equation. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model various phenomena.

5. How are homogeneous boundary conditions different from inhomogeneous boundary conditions?

Inhomogeneous boundary conditions require the solution to be equal to a non-zero value at the boundary, while homogeneous boundary conditions require the solution to be equal to zero. Inhomogeneous boundary conditions can be more difficult to solve, but they can also model more complex systems and phenomena.