Intro to combinatorics verification

In summary, the question asks for the possible routes from A to C and back, allowing each route to be traversed once in each direction. There are 56 possible routes from A to C via B, 784 possible routes from A to C via B and back, and 4 possible routes from A to C without using any direct AC routes. The total number of possible routes is 844, but it may also include some double counting depending on the interpretation of the question.
lus1450

Homework Statement

There are 7 different routes from A to B, 4 different routes from B to C, and two different routes from C to A. What are the possible routes from A to C and back, allowing any route to be traversed once in each direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think I have it, but I just need some verification since we've only had one lecture and my high school combinatoric lessons (if you could call them that) weren't very "in depth" and several years ago.

So I figure these are the possibilities:
A to B to C to A gives 7*4*2 = 56 possible routes
A to B to C to B to A gives 7*4*4*7 = 784 possible routes
A to C to A gives 2*2 = 4 possible routes
Altogether that makes 844 possibilities.

However, I'm wondering if this one "counts" as well:
A to B to A to C to A gives 7*4*7*2*2 = 784, however I'm not sure if that double counts some of the routes from above. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I also just thought of A to C to B to A, but that one I think double counts. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zaculus said:

Homework Statement

There are 7 different routes from A to B, 4 different routes from B to C, and two different routes from C to A. What are the possible routes from A to C and back, allowing any route to be traversed once in each direction.

A to B to C to B to A gives 7*4*4*7 = 784 possible routes
A to C to A gives 2*2 = 4 possible routes

Since one route can be traversed only in one direction A→B 7 ways, B→C 4 ways but C→B? Only 3 ways there right? Because one of the 4 routes has already been assigned direction form B→C and hence you cannot go on that from C→B. Similar arguments hold for the rest.

The way I read it is that it can be used once TO C and then once BACK from C, so I wouldn't need to discount it. One of the next parts limits the routes to those roads not used twice, so that's why I believe my interpretation is correct, but I do understand what you're getting at.

Zaculus said:
However, I'm wondering if this one "counts" as well:
A to B to A to C to A gives 7*4*7*2*2 = 784, however I'm not sure if that double counts some of the routes from above. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I also just thought of A to C to B to A, but that one I think double counts. Thanks again.

Sorry about my first post. I misinterpreted the question.

I guess since direction matters, the above routes also count. Also there is the possibility of A→B→A→B→A→B→A or similar things. But I don't know whether you are allowed to go to A more than once after starting (i.e. you start at A and end at A but don't visit A in between). What does the source say about the answer?

No worries, and thanks for the replies. I guess in a sense that's also part of my question. I think by virtue of the "road only once in each direction," that the endless ABABABABA...probably isn't allowed but it's kind of ambiguous in that sense. I have a feeling I might just be thinking about this too hard haha. As for the answer, this question doesn't appear in the solutions in the back since it's an even numbered question, so it doesn't give too much in the way of what it should look like. My thinking is that as long as you start at A and hit C, and end at A using no road more than once before hitting C the first time and then no road more than once from C to A it should work.

This strikes me as quite a hard problem. Even if you start with the simple case of not using any direct AC routes it is nontrivial. As you allow up to 2 direct routes in each direction (9 cases in total), it gets progressively tougher.

Related to Intro to combinatorics verification

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that studies the ways in which objects can be arranged, combined, or chosen, typically with the goal of finding the number of possible outcomes or arrangements.

2. What is the purpose of combinatorics verification?

The purpose of combinatorics verification is to ensure the accuracy and validity of combinatorial calculations and solutions. This involves checking for errors, double counting, and verifying that the solution follows the given rules and constraints.

3. What are some common methods used for combinatorics verification?

Some common methods for combinatorics verification include creating a list or table of all possible outcomes, using visual representations such as diagrams or graphs, and using mathematical formulas to calculate the number of possible arrangements.

4. How important is combinatorics verification in scientific research?

Combinatorics verification is crucial in scientific research as it ensures the accuracy and reliability of results. Mistakes in combinatorial calculations can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially hinder the advancement of scientific knowledge.

5. Are there any tools or software available for combinatorics verification?

Yes, there are various tools and software available for combinatorics verification, such as Wolfram Alpha, Combinatorica, and Maple. These programs can assist with performing calculations, generating visual representations, and verifying solutions for different combinatorial problems.