Intro to BEC: An Accessible Guide for Undergrads

• Thread starter Opus_723
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bec Intro
In summary, the speaker is a junior-year physics major who has received an invitation to do theoretical research with professors at their school on Bose-Einstein condensation of molecules with electric dipole interactions. They are excited about the opportunity but feel that they may not have enough knowledge on the subject. They are looking for resources that can help them learn more about the subject at an early graduate or advanced undergraduate level. Two potential resources that fit this criteria are "Superconductors, Superfluids and Condensates" by Annett and "Invitation to Contemporary Physics" by Kumar Kim and Lam.
Opus_723
I'm a Junior-year physics major and I've just gotten an invitation to do some theoretical research with a couple of the professors at my school, which I'm really excited about. They're looking at Bose-Einstein condensation of molecules with electric dipole interactions, so although I get the gist of it and I'm sure I'll be able to handle my small part, a lot of it is over my head. I would like to learn as much about the subject as possible to get a better sense of the project as a whole. Obviously my professors will be the best resource, but they'll only have so much time to meet with me and I always like to have something to stare at and work through at home. But every text I've found online about many-body problems is intended for third or fourth year graduate students. I know it's not really a subject intended for undergrads, but I was hoping to find some kind of resource that could be tackled at something like an early graduate / advanced undergrad level. Maybe there's nothing like that floating around, but I thought I'd ask just to see. Does anyone know of any resources that would fit the bill?

Physics news on Phys.org
Superconductors, Superfluids and Condensates by Annett is a fantastic introduction aimed at senior undergrads and first year grad students. It should definitely bein your reach to work through a substantial portion of it on your own:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198507569/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Invitation to contemporary physics by Kumar Kim and Lam has a superb chapter on BEC as well as other areas of physics that may interest you (nanoscale devices, superconductors, lasers, etc). It is written at a level a sophomore or junior could jump right in and tackle, but it covers things quite superficially.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9812383034/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Related to Intro to BEC: An Accessible Guide for Undergrads

What is BEC?

BEC stands for Bose-Einstein Condensate. It is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures, where a large number of particles behave like a single entity.

What is the significance of BEC?

BEC has significant implications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, superfluidity, and precision measurements. It allows scientists to study and understand the behavior of matter at its most fundamental level.

How is BEC created in a lab?

BEC is created by cooling a gas of atoms to near absolute zero, using laser cooling techniques. As the temperature decreases, the atoms start to lose their individual identities and merge into a single entity, forming BEC.

What are the properties of BEC?

BEC has unique properties, such as all the atoms being in the same quantum state, meaning they have the same energy and momentum. It also exhibits properties of both waves and particles, and has coherence and superfluidity.

What are the potential applications of BEC?

The study of BEC has led to advances in technology, such as precision measurements, atomic clocks, and quantum computing. It also has potential applications in creating new materials and understanding the behavior of matter in extreme conditions.