Intro to Analysis (Differentiation)

In summary, the conversation is about proving or disproving the statement that if a function f is continuous on an interval [a,b], differentiable on (a,b), and has a limit at b, then f is differentiable at b. The conversation explores using the mean value theorem and the definition of a derivative to prove this statement. The final conclusion is that if the limit of the difference quotient at b exists, then f(x) is differentiable at b.
bloynoys

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove:
Suppose f:[a,b]->R is continuous. If f is diff on interval (a,b) and f'(x) has a limit at b, then f is diff at b.

Homework Equations

We say that f is differentiable at x0 to mean that there exists a number A such that:
f(x)=f(x0)+A(x-x0)+REM
where,
lim(x->x0) REM(x)/(x-x0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

We will prove f is diff at b by showing that that there exists a number A so that f(x)=f(b)+A(x-b)+REM
so,
lim(x->x0) REM(x)/(x-b) = 0

I have gotten good at normal proofs in this course and am very confused on how to build proofs with this diff theorem. I know that this is true, but am confused how to fashion the plan and how to start the proof. How do I establish the existence of an A that satisfies this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Write a difference quotient for f'(b) and use the Mean Value Theorem. That works, doesn't it?

Hmm. How would I go about doing that? I know by the mean value theorem there is a c in (a,b) that is satisfied by f'(c)=f(b)-f(a)/b-a but how can I show that since f'(c) exists f'(b) exists since it is not for every c in the interval?

bloynoys said:
Hmm. How would I go about doing that? I know by the mean value theorem there is a c in (a,b) that is satisfied by f'(c)=f(b)-f(a)/b-a but how can I show that since f'(c) exists f'(b) exists since it is not for every c in the interval?

f'(b)=limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x). There is a c such that f'(c) equals that quotient in (x,b).

So I can say that because f'(x) has a limit at b the function limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x)=f'(b)?

So a proof would go something like:

We will prove f is diff at b by showing that f'(b)=f'(b)=limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x).

Since f'(x) has a limit at b, we know limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x)=f'(b).

Thus, we know that the function is diff. at b.

bloynoys said:
So I can say that because f'(x) has a limit at b the function limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x)=f'(b)?

So a proof would go something like:

We will prove f is diff at b by showing that f'(b)=f'(b)=limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x).

Since f'(x) has a limit at b, we know limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x)=f'(b).

Thus, we know that the function is diff. at b.

You need to mention the mean value theorem and show where you used it.

Alright I have been working on this proof all dayish trying to get everything work out right.

I have for my plan:

Suppose x<c<b

We will prove f'(c) has a limit m at b by showing that for every ε>0 there exists an δ>0 so that for every x in (a,b) 0<abs(x-b)<δ where abs(f'(c)-m)<ε.

Consider ε>0 arb.
Since by the mean value theorem and the def of derivative we know that limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x)=lim c->b (f'(c)) and (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a)=f'(c) as a<x<c<b. We know that there is a δ that satisfies this. Choose such a δ.

Consider x in (a,b) arb.

for such an x,

abs(f'(c)-m))...

Then I don't know how to build that final inequality to make it work.

Any suggestions?

bloynoys said:
Alright I have been working on this proof all dayish trying to get everything work out right.

I have for my plan:

Suppose x<c<b

We will prove f'(c) has a limit m at b by showing that for every ε>0 there exists an δ>0 so that for every x in (a,b) 0<abs(x-b)<δ where abs(f'(c)-m)<ε.

Consider ε>0 arb.
Since by the mean value theorem and the def of derivative we know that limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x)=lim c->b (f'(c)) and (f(b)-f(a))/(b-a)=f'(c) as a<x<c<b. We know that there is a δ that satisfies this. Choose such a δ.

Consider x in (a,b) arb.

for such an x,

abs(f'(c)-m))...

Then I don't know how to build that final inequality to make it work.

Any suggestions?

You don't need epsilons or deltas. You know f'(b)=limit x->b (f(b)-f(x))/(b-x). The MVT tells you that there is a c(x) in (x,b) such that f'(c(x))=(f(b)-f(x))/(b-x). As x->b it must be that c(x)->b. Since you know f'(c(x)) approaches a limit as c(x)->b doesn't that tell you the difference quotient must have a limit?

Since you know f'(c(x)) approaches a limit as c(x)->b doesn't that tell you the difference quotient must have a limit?

May be a dumb question but we know there is a limit at b, but trying to say if it is differentiable. How can we make the leap that there is a limit at b to that it is differentiable at b?

I am following all of your logic (hopefully!) but that is the part I am hung up about. Thanks!

bloynoys said:
May be a dumb question but we know there is a limit at b, but trying to say if it is differentiable. How can we make the leap that there is a limit at b to that it is differentiable at b?

I am following all of your logic (hopefully!) but that is the part I am hung up about. Thanks!

If the limit of the difference quotient exists then f(x) is differentiable at b. At least, it has a one sided derivative. There's not much you can say about the other side because f is only defined on [a,b].

I feel like disproving it. Take [itex]\displaystyle f\left(x\right)=\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex]. Take a = -1, b = 0. Is it differentiable on (-1,0)? Yes. Note that it's open. Is it continuous? Yes. f'(a) as a->0 does have a limit, -∞. (Yes, this is considered a limit.) But ... it's not differentiable at 0.

Related to Intro to Analysis (Differentiation)

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variables. In simpler terms, it is the process of finding the slope or gradient of a curve at a specific point.

2. What is the purpose of differentiation?

The purpose of differentiation is to help analyze and understand the behavior of a function. It allows us to determine the slope of a curve at any point, find the maximum or minimum values of a function, and identify the rate of change of a quantity over time.

3. What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules provide a systematic way to find the derivative of a function with respect to its input variables.

4. How is differentiation used in real life?

Differentiation has many practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it is used to analyze the rate of change of a stock's value over time, determine the velocity of a moving object, and find the optimum solution in optimization problems.

5. Can differentiation be applied to any type of function?

Yes, differentiation can be applied to any continuous function. However, in some cases, the derivative may not exist at certain points, such as sharp corners or discontinuities. Special techniques, such as the use of limits, can be used to handle these situations.