Interview with Brian Greene from months ago

• Thread starter Prion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding an interview with physicist Brian Greene where he stated that physics is the greatest of all human endeavors. The interview was from a popular mass media source and took place in his apartment in New York City. Other details mentioned were Greene apologizing for only having bottled water and the article mentioning his return to solitary physics research. Several links were suggested but were not the correct interview. The conversation ended with someone offering to try and remember the media source for the interview.
Prion
At least a few months ago--I think within the past year--I read online an interview with Brian Greene in which he was cited as saying physics is the greatest of all human endeavors. I need a quote from it for a paper I'm writing. I searched for the article, but I can't find it. I believe the interview was from a popular mass media source (something like The New York Times?). Can anyone please help me find it? The other aspects of the interview I remember are:
  • It occurred in his apartment in New York City.
  • He apologized for only having bottled water for the interviewer.
  • The end of the article said something about him returning to what he does best: solitary physics research.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't think so

Mk said:
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200405u/int2004-05-20
http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/personalities/birnbaum_v_brian_greene.php

Are those it? I'm sorry for the wait.
I'm pretty sure The Morning News one is not it. It's hard to tell whether The Atlantic one is it without paying for it.

I really appreciate your trying to help me with this. I would appreciate any more possibilities you find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite

No, those aren't it, either. But thank you very much for your help!

I recall this Interview, but I cannot recall the media that I saw it, but give me a couple of days and I will see what I remember.

Related to Interview with Brian Greene from months ago

1. What is the purpose of the interview with Brian Greene from months ago?

The purpose of the interview was to discuss the latest developments and theories in the field of theoretical physics, specifically focusing on string theory and the concept of multiple universes.

2. Who is Brian Greene and why is he considered an authority in the field of theoretical physics?

Brian Greene is a renowned physicist, mathematician, and author who has made significant contributions to the field of theoretical physics. He is best known for his work on string theory and has written several popular science books, making complex theories accessible to the general public.

3. What is string theory and why is it considered a groundbreaking concept in physics?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of the universe by describing it in terms of tiny vibrating strings rather than point-like particles. It is considered groundbreaking because it provides a potential solution to the long-standing problem of unifying the laws of physics, specifically combining Einstein's theory of general relativity with quantum mechanics.

4. What were some of the key insights or discoveries discussed in the interview with Brian Greene?

The interview covered various topics, including the latest developments in string theory, the possibility of multiple universes, and the search for a unifying theory of physics. Some key insights included the potential for experimental evidence to support string theory, the role of mathematics in understanding the universe, and the importance of keeping an open mind in the pursuit of scientific knowledge.

5. How does the concept of multiple universes fit into the discussion of string theory?

String theory suggests that there may be multiple universes, each with its own set of physical laws and properties. This idea is known as the "multiverse" and is a consequence of the theory's mathematical equations. While there is currently no empirical evidence for the existence of multiple universes, many physicists believe it is a possibility that should be explored further.