Intervals of Increase and Inflection Points Question

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with a problem set and receiving advice on finding the correct solutions for the first and second derivatives, as well as determining asymptotes and inflection points. The conversation also includes the use of the quotient rule and the importance of simplifying answers.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with this problem set I'm working on at the moment. I'd appreciate some help with this question:

This thread is only for question one. Please ignore number two.
08b1167bae0c33982682_22.jpg

So I used the quotient rule to differentiate, giving me:

f'(x) = [2x(x-2)-2(x^2)]/(x-2)^3

Moreover, I proceeded to find f'(x)=0 and f'(x) = DNE, which gave me f(0)=0 and x =/ 2 respectively.

Then I determined concavity by taking f''(x), which gave me 0, albeit I'm not too sure about this one. I ended up getting:
f''(x)= [-4(x^3 - 6x^2 + 11x - 8)]/[(x-2)^6], so I may have made a mistake while applying the quotient rule. I also got f''(x) DNE at x=/2.

For asymptotes, I took lim x-> 2 for the vertical asymptote and got undefined. Therefore, a vertical asymptote exists for x=2, and lim x-> infinity gave me 1, so the horizontal asymptote must be at x=1, correct?

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for all the help guys.

Cheers,
ArdentMed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first derivative is correct, however, you should try to simplify your answer as far as possible. It will make taking your second derivative much easier.
$$f'(x) = \frac{-4x}{(x-2)^3}$$

Retake your second derivative with the simplified first derivative. Your asymptotes are correct.

Rido12 said:
Your first derivative is correct, however, you should try to simplify your answer as far as possible. It will make taking your second derivative much easier.
$$f'(x) = \frac{-4x}{(x-2)^3}$$

Retake your second derivative with the simplified first derivative. Your asymptotes are correct.

Thanks for the advice. I took the second derivative and computed:

(8x-12)/(x-2)^2, which seems correct.

Moreover, I found f''(x)=0 and f''(x)= DNE and computed x= -3/2 and x =/ 0 respectively. Are these the inflection points?

Actually, your second derivative is also incorrect. Can you find the mistake? Taking the quotient rule, your square your denominator. I'm not sure how you ended up with a power of two. The quotient rule is $$\frac{f'(x)g(x)-g'(x)f(x)}{(g(x))^2}$$
where f(x) is $$-4x$$ and g(x) is $$(x-2)^3$$

Related to Intervals of Increase and Inflection Points Question

1. What are intervals of increase and inflection points?

Intervals of increase refer to the portions of a function where the value of the function is increasing. Inflection points are points on a graph where the concavity, or curve, of the function changes.

2. How do I find the intervals of increase and inflection points of a function?

To find the intervals of increase, you can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. The solutions to this equation will be the critical points, which divide the graph into intervals. To find inflection points, you can take the second derivative and set it equal to zero. The solutions to this equation will be the inflection points.

3. What is the significance of intervals of increase and inflection points?

Intervals of increase and inflection points can provide valuable information about the behavior of a function. They can help determine the maximum and minimum values of a function, as well as the points where the function changes direction.

4. Can intervals of increase and inflection points be negative?

Yes, intervals of increase and inflection points can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing or concave down in those intervals, respectively. It is important to consider both positive and negative intervals when analyzing a function.

5. Are intervals of increase and inflection points the same for all functions?

No, intervals of increase and inflection points can vary for different functions. It depends on the specific behavior and shape of the function. Some functions may have multiple intervals of increase or inflection points, while others may not have any at all.