Intervals of convergence (difficult)

In summary, the first problem is known as the "infinite sum of n^n / n!" and the second problem is known as the "infinite product of n^x * sin(1/n^x)". In order for convergence to occur, the sum must have a limit of zero and the product must have a limit of a finite and non-zero number. For the first problem, the radius of convergence is 0 and the series only converges for x=0. For the second problem, the radius of convergence is also 0, meaning that the series diverges for all non-zero values of x. Stirling's formula, which is an asymptotic estimate, can be used to quickly
zoki85
I.
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n^n}{n!}x^n[/tex]

II.
[tex]\prod_{n=1}^{\infty}n^x*sin\frac{1}{n^x}[/tex]

I wonder how to find ranges of real values [itex]x[/itex] for convergence to occur in the problems ??
Remark about infinite product:It is said to be convergent if partial products converge to a FINITE and NON-ZERO limit.

Physics news on Phys.org
No hints?
I see that (I) diverges for [itex]x\geq 1[/itex].Maybe it diverges for all x but
x=0?

(II) is generalized problem found here:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=159193

For x=1 ,like shown,it converges,but I wonder if it can be solved given like
this?

For the first one, since nn "dominates" n! (goes to infinity much faster than n! does), yes, the "radius of convergence" is 0 and the series converges only for x= 0.

I have no idea about the second one.

Here's my hint for the first one:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/math/stirling.html

I (ab)used Stirling's formula for large n! and quickly obtained the *radius* of convergence.If I didn't messed anything up, the solution should be:

[tex]-\frac{1}{e}\leq x <\frac{1}{e}[/tex]

Outside that interval the series diverges.

Last edited:
Sorry, Halls is correct. The series diverges for all nonzero x. Stirling's approximation is an asymptotic estimate; you can't use it here.

Caution about your conclusions guys!
I'm not convinced at all that the sum diverges for all x>0.
I have two arguments for my suspicion:

[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{n^n}{n!2^n}=\infty[/tex]

BUT

[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{n^n}{n!2^{2n}}=0[/tex]

[Proofs aren't trivial but can be done by means of advanced math tools].

Point is that minimum requirement for convergence for 0<x<1/4 is met ([itex]lim_{n\to \infty} a_{n}=0[/itex]).Having said that,the series has potential to converge for sufficient small x>0.
That's not enough for sum to converge and I'm still thinking how fast terms dye away.
Your comments please.
I repeat once more:the problems are difficult.

Last edited:
Post the proofs, please (I assure you we can handle as advanced math tools as you care to throw at us).

(after doing a simple ratio test, I'm actually coming round to the |x|<1/e argument, but it shouldn't be deduced from Stirling which is merely an asymptotic tool - n! can be a long way from the estimate, although I am considering reconsidering that position, as it happens - the asymptotic nature might be precisely the thing that implies the ratio test: the ratio of consecutive terms is x(1+1/n)^n, which converges to xe, and thus for n large enough |x|<e would imply x(1+1/n)^n<1). At |x|=e we can say nothing, and it diverges for |x|>e

Last edited:
I don't doubt you can handle it but the problem is I don't have
that source at the moment (where I saw the proofs).
I'll look again for it and post the proofs if need be.
The proofs weren't so advanced and complicated but longish .
And I don't think they mentioned Stirling's formula .
I recall exactly the results becouse they were surprising.
For example,for n>> it is:
[tex](2^n)*n!<n^n[/tex]
and
[tex](4^n)*n!>n^n[/tex]

matt grime said:
(after doing a simple ratio test, I'm actually coming round to the |x|<1/e argument, but it shouldn't be deduced from Stirling which is merely an asymptotic tool - n! can be a long way from the estimate, although I am considering reconsidering that position, as it happens - the asymptotic nature might be precisely the thing that implies the ratio test: the ratio of consecutive terms is x(1+1/n)^n, which converges to xe, and thus for n large enough |x|<e would imply x(1+1/n)^n<1). At |x|=e we can say nothing, and it diverges for |x|>e

I was in big hurry last time and didn't elaborate my hint & answer.
(Living has been hectic here lately).
Since I calculated without pencil and a scrap of paper I left possibility
I made mistake open.However,the reason wasn't I suspected something was
wrong with a the principal usage of of Stirling's approximative formula,
but my imperfect mind pics.I (ab)used the weakest version
of Stirling to quickly obtain the result:
[tex]n!\approx \sqrt{2\pi n}\cdot \left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^n[/tex]

Of course,much more preceise formula is:

[tex]n!=\sqrt{2\pi n} \left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^n e^{\frac{1}{12n}+O(\frac{1}{n^2})}[/tex]

And there is much more about Stirling.
Did you know there is also a full asymptotic series version of Stirling
which involves Gamma function and summation over Bernouli numbers?
It is derived by the Mean value theorem for Gamma function.
It is associated with tracking n! like nobody's buisness.
If you are interested I can post that monster.
Application of the most powerful version may give an exact value for n!,not
just an aproximation.
For convenience I list some known results:

[tex]n!=\sqrt{2\pi}n^{n-\frac{1}{2}}e^{-n}\left(1+\frac{1}{12n}+\frac{1}{288n^2}+O(\frac{1}{n^2})\right)[/tex]

[tex]n!=\sqrt{2\pi n}\left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^n e^{\frac{\theta(n)}{12n}};0<\theta(n)<1[/tex]

For n>1 an interesting inequality holds:

[tex]\sqrt{2\pi}n^{n+1/2}e^{-n+\frac{1}{12n}}>n!>\sqrt{2\pi}n^{n+1/2}e^{-n+\frac{1}{12n+1}}[/tex]

But such level of preceison is completely unnecessary for the problem we have.
If you still wonder how mathematical criminal tehno may (ab)use the weakest version
of Stirling and get the correct result anyway,my plausible explanation is:
The problem requires only the dominant multiplication term and one doesn't have to
run error estimates for large n! in evaluating the limit.IOW,the limits of the structure
like given where fast multiplication functions ratios are packed are insensitive
to the differences associated up to polynomial factors.
You may find an interesting exercise to rigorously prove why I'm correct in using
weak Stirling approximation when dealing with that limit.

At last ,few comments should be made regarding the simple "ratio" convergence test
you are talking about.Isn't that test also call "d'Alambert" test?
d'Alambert test says that for 0<x<1/e the series converges,and by Leibnitz
principle for alternating series one concludes that for -1/e<x<0 must
converge as well.
But what about point x=1/e?
d'Alambert fails to decide on that point.
However,the series diverges for it!
Use Raabe's test to show that the following sum diverges:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}\left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^n[/tex]

OTOH,for x=-1/e the series converges!
Without elaboration why ,I will remind that the situation has much in common
with harmonic series:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

which diverges,but

[tex]1-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{4}+...=ln\ 2[/tex]

I used no of tests above to reach the conclusion.
Solution for the convergence interval is:

[tex]x\in (-1/e,+1/e>[/tex]
Only the *nifty* weak Stirling approach.
As you can see it is very useful.

zoki85 said:
The proofs weren't so advanced and complicated but longish .
And I don't think they mentioned Stirling's formula .
I recall exactly the results becouse they were surprising.
For example,for n>> it is:
[tex](2^n)*n!<n^n[/tex]
and
[tex](4^n)*n!>n^n[/tex]
How advanced and how long ,what are you talking about?

The stronger claim than yours holds:
[tex]3^n n!>n^n[/tex]

And it can be proven in an elementar way ,and isn't long at all!

Last edited:
tehno,matt,
Thank you.That will do more than enough for problem I.
What do you think of II?
This is AKG's hint I got via PM:"
Have you figured it out, I'll still have to think about it. If you look in the thread where I asked this question in the case x=1, StatusX made a suggestion about looking at the log sum of something like |nxsin(1/nx) - 1|, and then Taylor expanding sin. After multiplying by nx and subtracting 1, you're left with a power series in (1/nx). See if this lead anywhere."

By the method in the previous post I got [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}ln(a_{n})[/tex]

where [tex]a_{n}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!}*\frac{1}{n^{2x}}[/tex]

And I got stuck there.
What to conclude about convergence of the sum and the associated product if x varies?Maybe x isn't calculable in contrast to my wishful thinking?:frown:

[tex]\prod_{n=1}^{\infty}n^xsin\frac{1}{n^x}[/tex]
is convergent for x>1/2.
:smile:

tehno said:
[tex]\prod_{n=1}^{\infty}n^xsin\frac{1}{n^x}[/tex]
is convergent for x>1/2.
:smile:
Are you sure?
How and why x>1/2?

It is not a homework problem,but my try to generalize AKG's homework problem..Anyway ,computer also suggests that approx. [tex]x=1/2[/tex] could be a critical value.
tehno,grime,or AKG don't respond and I'm curious about exact calculation (if possible).
Homework helpers please Help!

I showed my work in post #11 (althought it's not a lot).
Why nobody responds/helps ??

Related to Intervals of convergence (difficult)

What are intervals of convergence?

Intervals of convergence refer to the range of values for a given variable for which a power series will converge. In other words, it is the set of values where the infinite sum of a power series will result in a finite value.

Why are intervals of convergence difficult to determine?

Intervals of convergence can be difficult to determine because they depend on the behavior of the terms in a power series. This behavior can be complex and difficult to analyze, making it challenging to determine the exact range of values for which the series will converge.

How can I find the interval of convergence for a power series?

To find the interval of convergence for a power series, you can use various convergence tests such as the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series and can help determine the range of values for which the series converges.

What happens if a power series does not converge within its interval of convergence?

If a power series does not converge within its interval of convergence, it is said to diverge. This means that the infinite sum of the series will not result in a finite value and the series will not have a defined value for that particular variable.

Are there any other factors that can affect the interval of convergence?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the interval of convergence, such as the presence of singularities or discontinuities in the function represented by the power series. These factors can impact the behavior of the series and may result in a different interval of convergence than what would be expected based on the terms of the series alone.