Intervals and their subsets proof

In summary, the problem states that if I is an interval and A is a subset of I, then A can be classified as either an interval, a set of discreet points, or a union of the two. However, this statement is false as shown by the example of the set (-1,1) and its subset A consisting of all rational numbers between -1 and 1. This contradicts the statement unless the term "union" is interpreted in a different sense.
hlin818

Homework Statement

I reduced another problem to the following problem:

If I is an interval and A is a subset of I, then A is either an interval, a set of discreet points, a union of the two.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this trivial?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's false. For example, take the set (-1,1) and inside of it the set A of all rational numbers in between -1 and 1. Unless by union you mean any arbitrary amount of sets being unioned together, in which case it's a silly question because any set A is the union of the sets each containing a single point of A

Ah completely overlooked that, thanks. I'll post up the full problem because now I'm sort of stuck.

Related to Intervals and their subsets proof

1. What is the definition of an interval?

An interval is a set of real numbers between two specific values, including all numbers in between.

2. How do you prove that a set of numbers is an interval?

To prove that a set of numbers is an interval, you must show that it contains all numbers between two specific values and that it does not contain any numbers outside of those values.

3. What are the subsets of an interval?

The subsets of an interval include open intervals, closed intervals, half-open intervals, and degenerate intervals.

4. How do you prove that a set of numbers is a subset of an interval?

To prove that a set of numbers is a subset of an interval, you must show that all numbers in the set are also included in the interval.

5. Are there any special cases when proving subsets of intervals?

Yes, there are special cases when proving subsets of intervals, such as when the interval is unbounded or when the interval is empty.