Interval of the definite integral

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the second derivative of a function F(x) defined by an integral. The individual is unsure about how to handle the variable x within the integral, but it is determined that the product rule can be applied. Ultimately, the correct answer is found to be F''(x) = (2*e^(x^2))(1+x^2).
Nan1teZ

Homework Statement

Let F(x) = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{x}_____________{0}[/tex] x*e^(t^2) dt for [tex]x\in[0,1].[/tex] Find F''(x) for [tex]x\in(0,1).[/tex]

My only problem is the x, because the interval of the definite integral goes from 0 to x, and x is in the integral, even though the integral is with respect to dt. So I'd just like to know what happens in this case? Is x a constant (as if the interval went from a to b, rather than 0 to x)? Or something different?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nan1teZ said:

Homework Statement

Let F(x) = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{x}_____________{0}[/tex] x*e^(t^2) dt for [tex]x\in[0,1].[/tex] Find F''(x) for [tex]x\in(0,1).[/tex]

My only problem is the x, because the interval of the definite integral goes from 0 to x, and x is in the integral, even though the integral is with respect to dt. So I'd just like to know what happens in this case? Is x a constant (as if the interval went from a to b, rather than 0 to x)? Or something different?

Hi Nan1teZ! :smile:

You can rewrite the integral as F(x) = x*[tex]\int^{x}_{0}[/tex] e^(t^2) dt.

Then just use the product rule. :smile:

Okay so i get F''(x) = (2*e^(x^2))(1+x) + x

Is that right?

Nan1teZ said:
Okay so i get F''(x) = (2*e^(x^2))(1+x) + x

Is that right?

I don't think so …

can you show your detailed working? :smile:

oops just a stupid mistake!..

okay I got F''(x) = (2*e^(x^2))(1+x^2).

If that's wrong I'm going to show the detailed working..

Nan1teZ said:
oops just a stupid mistake!..

okay I got F''(x) = (2*e^(x2))(1+x2).

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

Thanks! :D

Related to Interval of the definite integral

1. What is an interval of a definite integral?

An interval of a definite integral is the range of values for which the integral is being evaluated. It is usually represented by two numbers, a lower limit and an upper limit, and is written as [a, b].

2. How do you find the interval of a definite integral?

To find the interval of a definite integral, you need to identify the limits of integration. These are the lower and upper bounds of the integration and are usually given in the question or can be determined from the given function or graph.

3. What is the significance of the interval of a definite integral?

The interval of a definite integral helps to determine the area under a curve or the volume of a region bounded by the curve and the x-axis. It gives a specific range of values for which the integral is being calculated.

4. Can the interval of a definite integral be negative?

Yes, the interval of a definite integral can be negative if the function being integrated has negative values within the given interval. The integral will then give a negative value, representing the area below the x-axis.

5. How does changing the interval affect the value of a definite integral?

Changing the interval of a definite integral can significantly affect the value of the integral. If the interval is increased, the value of the integral will also increase, and vice versa. Additionally, changing the interval can also change the shape and size of the area being calculated.