Interval of Convergence and radicals

In summary, to find the interval of convergence for the given series, we need to find the limit of √n/√(n+1), which simplifies to n/(n+1). By taking the limit as n approaches infinity, we can see that the limit is 1. Therefore, the interval of convergence is (x+2)/3.
justtip

Homework Statement

Find the interval of convergence:

[tex]\sum _{n=1}^{\infty } \frac{(-1)^n (x+2)^n}{3^n\sqrt{n}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty } |\frac{(x+2)^{n+1}}{3^{n+1}\sqrt{n+1}}*\frac{3^n\sqrt{n}}{(x+2)^n}| = \lim_{n\to \infty } |\frac{(x+2)\sqrt{n}}{3\sqrt{n+1}}|[/tex]

This is where I'm stuck. Mathematica says the limit is (x+2)/3, but I'm not sure how to get there. Only thing I can think of is if infinity is substituted for n, the square root of infinity cancels out? I can work the rest out myself, just need to know how to get to (x+2)/3.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi justtip! welcome to pf! :smile:
justtip said:
Mathematica says the limit is (x+2)/3, but I'm not sure how to get there.

you're trying to prove that lim √n/√(n+1) = 1

that's the same as lim √(n/(n+1)) = 1,

which is the same as lim n/(n+1) = 1 :wink:

Related to Interval of Convergence and radicals

1. What is an interval of convergence?

An interval of convergence is a range of values for a variable in a mathematical expression where the series will converge or approach a finite limit. It is typically represented by an inequality, such as |x| < R, where R is the radius of convergence.

2. How is the interval of convergence determined?

The interval of convergence is determined by using a mathematical test, such as the ratio test or the root test, to analyze the behavior of the series. These tests help determine the values for which the series will converge and the values for which it will diverge.

3. What is the significance of the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is important because it tells us the range of values for which the series will converge. This allows us to determine the validity and accuracy of our mathematical calculations and to make predictions about the behavior of the series.

4. How do radicals affect the interval of convergence?

Radicals, or square roots, can affect the interval of convergence by changing the behavior of the series. For example, if a series contains a radical, it may have a smaller interval of convergence or may converge for different values than a series without a radical. This must be taken into account when determining the interval of convergence.

5. Can the interval of convergence ever be infinite?

Yes, it is possible for the interval of convergence to be infinite. This means that the series will converge for all values of the variable, without any restrictions. However, this is not always the case, and the interval of convergence is usually a finite range of values.