Interval notation for series converging

In summary, interval notation is used to represent the set of numbers that a series converges to in a concise and organized manner. It can be used for all types of series, including infinite series and series with alternating signs. It uses brackets and parentheses to indicate the boundaries of the interval and the type of boundary (inclusive or exclusive). An open interval is represented by using parentheses to indicate that the endpoint is not included in the interval, while a closed interval is represented by using brackets to indicate that the endpoint is included in the interval. To determine if a series converges to a specific number, one can use interval notation by checking if the number is included in the interval notation for the series.
cathy

Homework Statement

So I solved this problem
∑ (-1)^n (x+5)^n by finding the sum of the series to be 1/(x+6), which was correct. I am stuck on the second part of the problem asking for interval notation.
It says: Determine, in interval notation, the values of x for which the series converges. Use "-I" for negative infinity, "I" for infinity.

2. The attempt at a solution

I know that -x+5 > 1, but how to I turn this into interval notation?
I'm stuck on every one of these problems on my math hw, unfortunately. Please advise if you can. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The standard is to use a "square" bracket (i.e. [ or ]) when the endpoint is included in the interval, and a parenthesis when it's not. For example, [a,b) denotes the set of all extended real numbers* x such that ##a\leq x<b##.

*) The set of extended real numbers includes all the real numbers and has exactly two more elements that are usually denoted by ##+\infty## and ##-\infty##, but apparently you are supposed to denote them by I and -I.

Another example: Consider the set of all non-negative real numbers, i.e. the set of all real numbers x such that x≥0. Since every real number is less than +∞, we can write 0≤x<+∞ instead of just x>0. So the interval notation for this set would be [0,+∞).

I have tried everything, and I cannot seem to get the answer correct.
Can you help me on this one? I really don't know how to do it. I have many similar problems so I will try those once I see how to do it.

Last edited:
cathy said:

Homework Statement

So I solved this problem
∑ (-1)^n (x+5)^n by finding the sum of the series to be 1/(x+6), which was correct. I am stuck on the second part of the problem asking for interval notation.
It says: Determine, in interval notation, the values of x for which the series converges. Use "-I" for negative infinity, "I" for infinity.

2. The attempt at a solution

I know that -x+5 > 1, but how to I turn this into interval notation?
I don't believe that your inequality is correct, so it isn't a matter of turning it into interval notation, but rather, starting with the correct inequality.

Your series is a geometric series, a fact that you used to get the sum of the series. The common ratio, r, is -(x + 5). For such a series to converge, it must be that |r| < 1. In this case, that means that |-(x + 5)| < 1, which is equivalent to |x + 5| < 1. Another way to write this is -1 < x + 5 < 1. Can you solve this inequality?

Likes 1 person
cathy said:
I have tried everything, and I cannot seem to get the answer correct.
Can you help me on this one? I really don't know how to do it. I have many similar problems so I will try those once I see how to do it.
You asked about interval notation, and I explained it to you. What kind of answer did you want if not an explanation of interval notation?

I didn't look at the series since you were only asking about the inequality and the notation. I have looked at it now, and I agree with Mark. You need to start with |-(x+5)|<1 and rewrite that as two inequalities a<x<b. The straightforward way to deal with an equality that involves an absolute value is this: |x|<y tells you that if x≥0, then x<y, and that if x≤0, then -x<y.

There's also an easier way based on the notion of distance between two real numbers.

Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
Your series is a geometric series, a fact that you used to get the sum of the series. The common ratio, r, is -(x + 5). For such a series to converge, it must be that |r| < 1. In this case, that means that |-(x + 5)| < 1, which is equivalent to |x + 5| < 1. Another way to write this is -1 < x + 5 < 1. Can you solve this inequality?

Would it be (-6, -4)? Ahh. Thank you so much.

Thanks everyone! It helped and I solved the rest of my homework for these! :)

Last edited:
cathy said:
Would it be (-6, -4)? Ahh. Thank you so much.

Thanks everyone! It helped and I solved the rest of my homework for these! :)
Yes, that's it. We're happy to help!

Related to Interval notation for series converging

1. What is interval notation for series converging?

Interval notation for series converging is a way of representing the set of numbers that a series converges to in a concise and organized manner. It uses brackets and parentheses to indicate the boundaries of the interval and the type of boundary (inclusive or exclusive).

2. How is interval notation used to represent infinite series?

Interval notation is used to represent infinite series by using the infinity symbol (∞) to indicate that the series continues indefinitely. For example, the infinite series 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... can be represented in interval notation as [0, 1].

3. What is the difference between open and closed intervals in interval notation for series converging?

In interval notation for series converging, an open interval is represented by using parentheses to indicate that the endpoint is not included in the interval, while a closed interval is represented by using brackets to indicate that the endpoint is included in the interval.

4. How do you determine if a series converges to a specific number using interval notation?

To determine if a series converges to a specific number, you can use interval notation by checking if the number is included in the interval notation for the series. If the number is included, then the series converges to that number. If the number is not included, then the series does not converge to that number.

5. Can interval notation be used for all types of series?

Yes, interval notation can be used for all types of series, including infinite series and series with alternating signs. It is a universal notation that is widely used in mathematics to represent series converging to a specific number or set of numbers.