Interstellar space travel and reference frames

In summary, the spacecraft would need to have a speed greater than the speed of light in order to make the trip to the star in 1 year.
sr57

Homework Statement

A spacecraft with its astronaut has a total mass at rest of 10^5 kg. The astronaut is to travel to a star 10 light years away at a speed such that she only ages 1 year in her frame of reference
a) the quantity 1-v/c where v is her speed with respect to Earth is?
b) the total energy required to accelerate the spacecraft from rest to this velocity in units of 10^22 Joules is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 year = 356 days = 1.89 x 10^9
I tried converting 10 light years into km
Then tried using v = d/t to find V

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sr57,

sr57 said:

Homework Statement

A spacecraft with its astronaut has a total mass at rest of 10^5 kg. The astronaut is to travel to a star 10 light years away at a speed such that she only ages 1 year in her frame of reference
a) the quantity 1-v/c where v is her speed with respect to Earth is?
b) the total energy required to accelerate the spacecraft from rest to this velocity in units of 10^22 Joules is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 year = 356 days = 1.89 x 10^9
I tried converting 10 light years into km
Then tried using v = d/t to find V

You did not say what units you converted a year to, but I don't think it's 1.89 x 10^9 seconds.

What did you find when you calculated v using your method? If you change 10 light years into meters, and convert a year into seconds, it looks like your equation will give a speed larger than the speed of light (greater than 3 x 10^8), which indicates this approach will not work.

Here the speed will be large enough that you need to incorporate relativistic effects into your approach.

Using relativistic approach:

T = To/square root of (1-v^2/c^2)

T = 10 light years x speed of light/ V --> I'm not sure abt this

To = 1 year = 3.15 z 10^7 seconds

I don't know how to find V when i substitute the numbers

sr57 said:
Using relativistic approach:

T = To/square root of (1-v^2/c^2)

T = 10 light years x speed of light/ V --> I'm not sure abt this

No, that can't be correct because it doesn't have the right units. (time on the left side, distance on the right)

But now that you have the time interval T in the Earth frame of reference, and the length in the Earth frame, you can use your original equation d=vT.

As an alternative, you could have kept everything in the astronaut's frame of reference. You have the time interval To, and you could find the length in his reference frame (it will be contracted). Then you could use d=vT in that reference frame.

This problem is much like the discussion on muon decay which your textbook probably covers; it might be a good idea to read over that to see how they calculate the same motion in two different reference frames.

Related to Interstellar space travel and reference frames

1. What is interstellar space travel?

Interstellar space travel is the concept of traveling between stars or galaxies. It involves travelling long distances through the vacuum of space, which is filled with various forms of radiation and debris.

2. How do reference frames play a role in interstellar space travel?

Reference frames are important in interstellar space travel as they provide a way to measure and understand the motion and position of objects in space. They serve as a point of reference for determining velocity, acceleration, and other important factors for navigation and communication during space travel.

3. What is the difference between an inertial and non-inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is one in which Newton's laws of motion hold true, meaning that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. A non-inertial reference frame is one in which these laws do not hold true, such as when the frame is accelerating or rotating.

4. How do astronauts maintain their reference frame during interstellar space travel?

Astronauts maintain their reference frame through the use of various instruments and technologies, such as gyroscopes and star trackers, which help to keep track of their position and orientation in space. They also use mathematical models and equations to calculate their motion and adjust their trajectory accordingly.

5. What challenges do reference frames present for interstellar space travel?

One of the main challenges is maintaining a consistent and accurate reference frame in the vastness of space. Distances and velocities are so immense that even small errors in measurement or calculation can have significant impacts on the trajectory of a spacecraft. Additionally, the effects of gravity and other forces can also complicate reference frame measurements and calculations.