Interstellar Medium: Herbig-Haro Objects

In summary, the conversation was about a J-shock in a Herbig-Haro object and calculating various values related to it. The first part of the question involved finding the Mach number of the shock and determining if the strong shock approximation was reasonable. The second part involved calculating the speed and compression of the post shock gas. The conversation then moved on to discussing the cooling rate per unit volume in the post shock gas and converting it to a cooling rate per unit mass. The conversation ended with the individual asking for confirmation on the values they had calculated and for help with the conversion.
Carusun
Hi all. First post and all that, so I hope I don't do anything wrong, and that if I do, you'll cut me a little slack :P

Anyway, onto the question I'm wanting help with:

A J-shock in a Herbig-Haro object is propagating through neutral hydrogen gas at speed 100km/s. The gas has number density 10^-7 m^-3, and temperature 10^4 K.

a) Calculate the Mach number of the shock, and decide if the strong shock approximation is reasonable.
-- Done this part of the question, and ended up with Mach 7.3*10^-4, and, if I've understood my notes correctly, that the strong shock approximation is reasonable.

b) Calculate the speed and compression of the post shock gas. Work in the shock frame.
-- If I've understood my notes correctly, then the speed of the post shock gas is 1/4 of the speed of the pre-shock gas, giving 25km/s.
For the compression, I'm just guessing, as I've not been able to find that in my notes, but would that just be the pressure? If so, then you've got
P=ma/A,
but I'm not sure as to how to work out the acceleration from what I've been given.

Have I just gone completely down the wrong path, or have I just not noticed something that'd help me work it out easily?

Many thanks in advance for any help that comes my way :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I believe that I've done that question now, and I've ploughed ahead to one of the later parts of the question.

e) The cooling rate per unit volume in the post shock gas can be represented as, L=(LAMBDA) n(1)^2, where (lambda) is a cooling function dependent on the cooling process. Convert this to a cooling rate per unit mass and show that the typical cooling timescale of the post shock gas is
t(c) = (3kT(1))/(2(LAMBDA)n(1))

Where a(b) is a with a subscript of b, and (LAMBDA) is a capital lambda.

Quick recap of the figures I know, and those that I've worked out:

v(0) = 100*10^3 m/s -- Given
v(1) = 25*10^3 m/s -- Given
n(0) = 10^7 m^-3 -- Given
n(1) = ((rho)(1)/m(hydrogren)) (not 100% sure on that, confirmation would be nice)
(rho)(0) = 1.67*10^-17 kg/m^3
(rho)(1) = 6.68*10^-17 kg/m^3
P(0) = 3.137*10^-8 N/m^2
P(1) = 1.255*10^-7 N/m^2

Hopefully those values are correct, and are what's needed...

For the conversion to per unit mass, could I just divide the number density by regular density? That'd leave me with units of (whatever the cooling functions unit is)*kg^-2, which could possibly cancel down to leave blah/kg, which'd be what I'm looking for, yeah?

Again, any help you can give would be greatly appreciated :)

Related to Interstellar Medium: Herbig-Haro Objects

1. What are Herbig-Haro objects?

Herbig-Haro objects are small patches of nebulosity that are seen around very young stars. They are formed when jets of gas ejected from the star collide with the surrounding interstellar medium, causing shock waves that heat up and ionize the gas, making it visible.

2. How are Herbig-Haro objects formed?

Herbig-Haro objects are formed when a young star ejects jets of gas in opposite directions. These jets travel through the surrounding interstellar medium, colliding with the gas and dust, creating shock waves that heat up and ionize the gas. This creates the glowing nebulosity that we see as Herbig-Haro objects.

3. What is the significance of Herbig-Haro objects?

Herbig-Haro objects are significant because they provide evidence of ongoing star formation. They are only found in regions where new stars are forming, and their presence confirms the existence of young, newly-formed stars. They also provide insights into the processes of how stars form and evolve.

4. Can we see Herbig-Haro objects with the naked eye?

No, Herbig-Haro objects are not visible to the naked eye. They are typically very small and faint, and can only be observed with powerful telescopes and specialized equipment. However, some larger and brighter Herbig-Haro objects can be seen with amateur telescopes under dark skies.

5. How are Herbig-Haro objects studied by scientists?

Herbig-Haro objects are studied using a variety of instruments and techniques, including spectroscopy, imaging, and computer modeling. Scientists use these methods to analyze the chemical composition, temperature, and physical properties of the gas in and around Herbig-Haro objects, in order to better understand the processes of star formation and evolution.