Intersection of two lines in 3-space

In summary: related note, does anyone know how to do a vector subtraction where one vector is perpendicular to the other?
Physics345

Homework Statement

Given l→1=(6,−1,0)+t(3,1,−4) and l→2=(4,0,5)+s(−1,1,5), find the intersection of l→1 and l→2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fairly certain I did this correctly, but I just thought I'd double check to make sure I have a good understanding.

Djl5B4Q.png

Attachments

• Djl5B4Q.png
    Djl5B4Q.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,093
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics345 said:

Homework Statement

Given l→1=(6,−1,0)+t(3,1,−4) and l→2=(4,0,5)+s(−1,1,5), find the intersection of l→1 and l→2
Tip: Use LaTeX to write vectors.
##\vec {l_1}## is a lot nicer than l→1.
My script for the above: ##\vec {l_1}##
Physics345 said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fairly certain I did this correctly, but I just thought I'd double check to make sure I have a good understanding.

View attachment 222571
Your values for s and t are the same as I got, but you need to check that the lines actually intersect. Just substitute for s and t in your vector equations for the two lines.

Likes Physics345
Mark44 said:
Tip: Use LaTeX to write vectors.
##\vec {l_1}## is a lot nicer than l→1.
My script for the above: ##\vec {l_1}##

Your values for s and t are the same as I got, but you need to check that the lines actually intersect. Just substitute for s and t in your vector equations for the two lines.
Considering the lines are skew and the values of (s) and (t) did not satisfy the parametric equations. Isn't that self explanatory? Meaning there is no intersection of the lines? Or could the lines be skew and still intersect?
Anyways, It's always awesome to learn a new way to verify math! So I'm going to give it a shot.

Attempt at verifying the solution:

##\vec {l_1}## = (6,−1,0)+t(3,1,−4)
= (6,−1,0)+(-1/4)(3,1,−4)
= (6,-1,0)+(-3/4, -1/4, 1)
=(21/4, -5/4, 1 )
##\vec {l_2}## = (4,0,5)+s(−1,1,5)
=(4,0,5)+(-5/4)(−1,1,5)
=(4,0,5)+(5/4,-5/4,-25/4)
=(5, -5/4, -45/4)
I guess they do intersect at (x=-5/4)
That's cool. I guess the lines can be skew and still intersect. Good to know, my textbook should explain that.
And I have applied your teachings Sensei =) by using LaTex and finding the point of intersection :)

Physics345 said:
Considering the lines are skew and the values of (s) and (t) did not satisfy the parametric equations. Isn't that self explanatory? Meaning there is no intersection of the lines? Or could the lines be skew and still intersect?
Sorry -- I overlooked that part of your post where you said this. The lines are skew, which means that they don't intersect. It seems my comment led you astray.

Physics345 said:

=(21/4, -5/4, 1 )
=(4,0,5)+(-5/4)(−1,1,5)
=(5, -5/4, -45/4)
It's good to check, but you have mistakes in your work. By substitution values of t and s, you get specific points on the lines. On the first line, with t = -1/4, the point is (21/4, -5/4, 1), which you have. With s = -5/4 on the second line, the point is (21/4, -5/4, -5/4), which is different from what you show. These are different points, so there is no point that is on both lines.
Physics345 said:
For two lines in space to intersect, all three coordinates have to be the same, not just a single coordinate

Likes Physics345
Physics345 said:
Anyways, It's always awesome to learn a new way to verify math! So I'm going to give it a shot.

=(21/4, -5/4, 1 )
=(4,0,5)+(-5/4)(−1,1,5)
=(5, -5/4, -45/4)
That's cool. I guess the lines can be skew and still intersect. Good to know, my textbook should explain that.
And I have applied your teachings Sensei =) by using LaTex and finding the point of intersection :)

Of course two skew lines in space can intersect: just take a line in space, then take a point on that line and draw another line through that point but in a different direction. You get two skew lines that definitely intersect. You can do that in any number of dimensions, 2,3,4,5,...,

Likes Physics345
Mark44 said:
Sorry -- I overlooked that part of your post where you said this. The lines are skew, which means that they don't intersect. It seems my comment led you astray.It's good to check, but you have mistakes in your work. By substitution values of t and s, you get specific points on the lines. On the first line, with t = -1/4, the point is (21/4, -5/4, 1), which you have. With s = -5/4 on the second line, the point is (21/4, -5/4, -5/4), which is different from what you show. These are different points, so there is no point that is on both lines.

For two lines in space to intersect, all three coordinates have to be the same, not just a single coordinate
I did find it odd, but I didn't want to doubt your experience thanks for clarifying.
On a side note, I should have done the math on paper, I just did it quickly on the pc which for me is more prone to mistakes.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Of course two skew lines in space can intersect
By definition, skew lines don't intersect.
From Merriam Webster dictionary
straight lines that do not intersect and are not in the same plane
There are any number of sites, including Wikipedia, that say the same.

Mark44 said:
By definition, skew lines don't intersect.
From Merriam Webster dictionary

There are any number of sites, including Wikipedia, that say the same.
Thanks for clarifying that Mark, I was a bit confused since I did a report on this subject with lots of research, which says skew lines do not intersect. Which I thought was wrong considering your two statements. My information came from textbooks I should have been more supportive of my ideals which is nostalgic and makes me think of "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." Albert Einstein.
Here's a picture of the diagrams I created for the report:
31nJw7g.png

Attachments

• 31nJw7g.png
    31nJw7g.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 557

Related to Intersection of two lines in 3-space

1. What is the formula for finding the intersection point of two lines in 3-space?

The formula for finding the intersection point of two lines in 3-space is solving the system of equations created by the parametric equations of the two lines. This can be done by setting the x, y, and z components of the two equations equal to each other and solving for the parameters.

2. How do you determine if two lines in 3-space are parallel?

Two lines in 3-space are parallel if their direction vectors are parallel, meaning they have the same direction but may be different lengths. This can be determined by comparing the components of the direction vectors and seeing if they are proportional to each other.

3. What does it mean if the direction vectors of two lines in 3-space are perpendicular?

If the direction vectors of two lines in 3-space are perpendicular, it means that the lines lie in two different planes that are perpendicular to each other. This also means that the lines will never intersect.

4. Can two lines in 3-space intersect at more than one point?

No, two lines in 3-space can only intersect at one point. This is because in 3-dimensional space, a line is defined by a single point and a direction vector, so two distinct lines can only intersect at one unique point.

5. How many equations are needed to find the intersection point of two lines in 3-space?

At least two equations are needed to find the intersection point of two lines in 3-space. These equations can be created by setting the x, y, and z components of the parametric equations of the two lines equal to each other.