Intersection of axiomatizable sets

In summary: Your name]In summary, the question asks whether the intersection of two axiomatizable, complete, consistent theories, T and F, is also axiomatizable. After analyzing the properties of axiomatizable theories, it is concluded that T\cap F may not necessarily be axiomatizable, as there may be sentences in this theory that cannot be derived from a finite set of sentences from either T or F alone.
ky2345

Homework Statement

Suppose that T and F are both axiomatizable, complete, consistent theories. Is T\cap F axiomatizable?

Homework Equations

A theory T is a set of sentences such that if yo can deduce a sentence a from T, then a is in T.

I have already proved that T\cap F is a theory.

A complete theory is one where either a or \lnot a are in the theory for every sentence a.

An inconsistent theory is one where a is in the theory and \lnot a is in the theory

An axiomatizable theory is a theory that consists of all consequences of a decidable set of sentences (CnB= the consequences of a set B)

If a theory is axioatizable and complete, then is is decidable (not sure if this is relevent)

I have already proved that T\cap F is consistent.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since both T and F are axiomatizable, there are decidable sets G and H such that T=CnG and F=CnH. Now, we know from a previous result that G\cap H is decidable. Thus, Cn(G\cap H) describes an axiomatizable set. Now, if a is in T\cap F, then it is in both CnG and CnH, so that G\vDash a and H\vDash a. Now, let A be a model of G\cap H. Then, it satisfies...

I have a feeling that the answer might be no, since I seem to be getting nowhere with my proof, but I am having trouble thinking of a counterexample.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any suggestions?

Dear fellow scientist,

After doing some research and thinking about this problem, I have come to the conclusion that T\cap F may not necessarily be axiomatizable. My reasoning is as follows:

Firstly, we know that T and F are both axiomatizable, which means that they are both decidable sets of sentences. This also implies that T\cap F is a decidable set, since it is a subset of both T and F.

However, just because T\cap F is decidable does not necessarily mean that it is axiomatizable. A theory is axiomatizable if it consists of all consequences of a decidable set of sentences. In other words, every sentence in the theory can be derived from a finite set of sentences. But in the case of T\cap F, we cannot guarantee that every sentence in this theory can be derived from a finite set of sentences, since it is possible that there are sentences in T\cap F that cannot be derived from either T or F alone. Therefore, T\cap F may not be axiomatizable.

To illustrate this point, let's consider the following scenario: T is the theory of natural numbers and F is the theory of real numbers. Both T and F are axiomatizable, but their intersection, T\cap F, is not axiomatizable since there are sentences in T\cap F that cannot be derived from either T or F alone (e.g. the sentence "there exists a real number that is not a natural number").

In conclusion, while T\cap F is a theory and it is consistent, it may not necessarily be axiomatizable. I hope this helps in your understanding of this problem.

Related to Intersection of axiomatizable sets

What is the "Intersection of axiomatizable sets"?

The intersection of axiomatizable sets refers to the mathematical concept of taking the common elements from two or more sets which can be described or defined by a set of axioms or rules.

Why is the intersection of axiomatizable sets important in science?

The intersection of axiomatizable sets is important in science because it allows for the identification and analysis of commonalities among different systems or phenomena. This can provide insights into underlying principles and relationships, leading to a deeper understanding of the natural world.

How is the intersection of axiomatizable sets calculated?

The intersection of axiomatizable sets is calculated by comparing the axioms or rules that define each set and identifying the elements that are shared by all sets. These elements then make up the intersection of the axiomatizable sets.

What is an example of the intersection of axiomatizable sets in science?

An example of the intersection of axiomatizable sets in science is the study of different biological systems. By identifying the common principles and processes that govern these systems, scientists can gain a better understanding of how living organisms function and evolve.

Can the intersection of axiomatizable sets be empty?

Yes, the intersection of axiomatizable sets can be empty if there are no common elements among the sets. This can happen when the sets are defined by vastly different axioms or rules.