Interpreting Poisson Regression Estimates across groups

In summary, the conversation discusses a regression model for analyzing the rate of injury among firefighters, police officers, and soldiers. The model includes variables for the number of injuries recorded, the time the person was followed, and indicators for being a firefighter or soldier compared to police as the baseline group. The coefficients of the model can be interpreted as the estimated rate of injury for either individuals or the group as a whole. There is also a discussion about the potential overlap between being a firefighter and a soldier, and how it would affect the regression equation.
FallenApple
Say for example I want to see the rate of injury for firefighter vs police vs soldier.

##InjuryCount_{i}## The number of injuries recorded for the ith person over time
##T_{i} ## Time the person was followed. Varies from person to person.
##I(f)_{i}## indicator for ith person of being a firefighter or not, police is baseline
##I(s)_{i}## indicator for the ith person of being a soldier or not, police is baseline

Then I would model ##log(InjuryCount_{i}/T_{i})=\beta_{0} +\beta_{1}I(f)_{i}+\beta_{2}I(s)_{i}. ##

Where the regression model is either a poisson, negative binomial, or quasi poisson.

Now how would I intepret the coefficients?

Is ##exp(\beta{0} )## the estimated rate of injury for the baseline group. Or is it the estimated mean rate for the baseline group. I'm not sure which.

If we look at individuals, then I can say that it is the estimated rate of injury for someone belonging in the baseline group.

But if I look at the group, I can say that it is the estimated mean rate for the baseline group as a whole.

Not sure which one is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
FallenApple said:
indicator for ith person of being a firefighter or not, police is baseline...
indicator for the ith person of being a soldier or not, police is baseline
Do you have subjects where the same subject is both a firefighter and a soldier?

Dale said:
Do you have subjects where the same subject is both a firefighter and a soldier?

No, but what might happen if there is overlap?

The way I set up the regression equation would result in log(response)=B_0+0+0 for the police(baseline group) since I suppose that would have to be the result from the categories being mutually exclusive.

Related to Interpreting Poisson Regression Estimates across groups

1. What is Poisson regression and how is it used?

Poisson regression is a statistical method used to model count data, such as the number of occurrences of a certain event within a given time period. It is commonly used in various fields, including biology, epidemiology, and social sciences.

2. How do you interpret Poisson regression estimates across groups?

When interpreting Poisson regression estimates across groups, it is important to consider the incidence rate ratio (IRR), which compares the incidence rate of the outcome between two groups. An IRR of 1 indicates no difference in incidence rates between the groups, while an IRR greater than 1 indicates a higher incidence rate in one group compared to the other.

3. What are the assumptions of Poisson regression?

The main assumptions of Poisson regression are that the outcome variable is a count, the counts are independent of each other, and the counts follow a Poisson distribution. Additionally, it is important to check for overdispersion, which occurs when the variance is greater than the mean. In this case, a negative binomial regression may be more appropriate.

4. How do you handle overdispersion in Poisson regression?

If overdispersion is present in the data, it is recommended to use a negative binomial regression instead of Poisson regression. Another option is to use robust standard errors to adjust for the overdispersion.

5. Can Poisson regression be used for continuous outcomes?

No, Poisson regression is specifically designed for count data and cannot be used for continuous outcomes. For continuous outcomes, other regression methods such as linear regression or logistic regression may be more appropriate.