Interpretations, urban legends, and Hawking

In summary, some people argue about the meaning of quantum mechanics, while others use it to predict chemical reactions.
MacRudi
[Mentor's note: Moved out from another thread where it was a bit of a digression]

"Yeah, well, there are some people who spend an awful lot of time talking about the interpretation of quantum mechanics. My attitude -- I would paraphrase Goering -- is that when I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my gun."

-- Hawking in the book "The Whole Shebang"

looool

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Except that Goering never said that. The phrase comes from a German play of the early 1930s, not from Goering.

andrewkirk said:
Except that Goering never said that. The phrase comes from a German play of the early 1930s, not from Goering.

but it is a quote of Hawking :-)

MacRudi said:
"Yeah, well, there are some people who spend an awful lot of time talking about the interpretation of quantum mechanics. My attitude -- I would paraphrase Goering -- is that when I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my gun."

-- Hawking in the book "The Whole Shebang"

looool
andrewkirk said:
MacRudi said:
but it is a quote of Hawking :-)

A question about the history here... Did Hawking know Goering didn't really say that? Or was he suckered by an urban legend?

The line in Schlageter's play was actually "Wenn ich Kultur höre ... entsichere ich meinen Browning!" "Whenever I hear of culture... I ready my Browning [pistol]", and it has been spawning imaginative memes for the best part of a century now.

Last edited:
I just read a description of the experiment reported several months ago at the Australian national University where they isolated a SINGLE helium atom (really? I am a simple chemical engineer not a physicist) and performed two measurements on it - is it a wave or particle? All as Niels told us. Plus the result was affected retrospectively - delayed choice. So I agree with "when I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my gun" except I read something else or change the TV channel.
Except I am pretty sure that
(1) a cricket (baseball) does not behave like a helium atom (*)
(2) the far side of the moon exists right now and did not come into existence during the Apollo 8 mission and then disappear again
(3) The Newtonian-based laws that I used for fluid flow, heat transfer etc. etc. seemed to work OK during my career
(4) Chemical reactions carried out in bulk can be safely carried out using deterministic "laws". A certain concentration of reactants given a temperature-time profile with a certain catalyst will produce ammonia (for example) at a known rate and concentration.
I could go on
(*) or could it explain the woeful performances of the England football(soccer), cricket and rugby teams.

Should we all just Shut Up and Calculate or in my case, let someone do that while I use my computer?

Related to Interpretations, urban legends, and Hawking

What is the significance of interpretations in science?

Interpretations in science refer to the different ways in which data and evidence can be understood and explained. These interpretations can often lead to different conclusions and theories about a particular phenomenon.

What are urban legends and why are they important to study?

Urban legends are modern-day folklore that are often based on exaggerated or fictional stories. They are important to study because they can reveal societal fears and beliefs and how they are transmitted through storytelling.

What contributions did Stephen Hawking make to the field of science?

Stephen Hawking was a renowned theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to our understanding of black holes, the universe, and the concept of time. His work on black holes and the Big Bang theory revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

What is the difference between a scientific theory and an urban legend?

A scientific theory is a well-supported and tested explanation for a phenomenon, while an urban legend is a story or belief that is often based on hearsay and lacks scientific evidence. Scientific theories undergo rigorous testing and can be changed or revised based on new evidence, while urban legends are often perpetuated without evidence.

How can we distinguish between valid interpretations and pseudoscience?

Valid interpretations in science are supported by evidence and follow the scientific method, while pseudoscience relies on anecdotal evidence and lacks rigorous testing and peer review. It is important to critically evaluate sources and claims to determine their validity in the scientific community.