Interpretation of "pseudo-diagonalisation"

In summary, the conversation discusses the usage of matrices over a field K and the search for specific values of x and lambda that satisfy a given equation. This could have interpretations in quantum mechanics, but the condition that lambda should be independent of x may make the property too easy to be significant. However, if all lambda values are equal, the question is equivalent to finding the lambda-eigenspace of a matrix A.
jk22
I wanted to know what the usage of the following could be :

Let ##A\in M_{n\times n}(K)## a matrix over the field K.

Suppose we look for ##x,\lambda\in M_{n\times 1}(K)## such that

$$Ax=(\lambda_i x_i)$$

Hence instead of having a global eigenvalue we would have local ones.

I know the characteristic polynomial gives a relationship between the components of ##\lambda##.What results are known about this problem, and can they have interpretations like quantum mechanics has with usual diagonalisation ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that this would hold for some ##\lambda## for any ##x## with all non-zero elements.

Likes jk22 and Infrared
$$\exists x\neq 0$$

##\lambda_i = [Ax]_i/x_i## will always work as long as ##x_i \ne 0 \forall i##. Allowing different values for the ##\lambda_i## makes this property too easy to be significant.

Likes jk22
So what if the condition that the ##\lambda## shall be independent of the ##x## were added ?

If the ##\lambda_i## are given, define ##\Lambda## to be the diagonal matrix with the ##\lambda_i## on the diagonal. Then your equation is equivalent to ##Ax=\Lambda x.## Another way of saying this is that ##x## is in the nullspace of ##A-\Lambda##.

Note that if all of the ##\lambda_i=\lambda## are equal then your question is the same as finding the ##\lambda##-eigenspace of ##A##. This agrees with the above because the ##\lambda##-eigenspace of a matrix ##A## is the nullspace of ##A-\lambda I##, and ##\Lambda=\lambda I## in this case.

Likes FactChecker

Related to Interpretation of "pseudo-diagonalisation"

What is "pseudo-diagonalisation"?

Pseudo-diagonalisation is a mathematical technique used to transform a matrix into a diagonal form, while preserving certain properties of the original matrix. This is often done to simplify calculations or to reveal underlying patterns in the data.

How is "pseudo-diagonalisation" different from regular diagonalisation?

In regular diagonalisation, the matrix is transformed into a diagonal form using elementary row and column operations. Pseudo-diagonalisation, on the other hand, uses a combination of row and column operations as well as similarity transformations to achieve a diagonal form.

What are the benefits of using "pseudo-diagonalisation"?

Pseudo-diagonalisation can simplify calculations involving matrices, as diagonal matrices are much easier to work with. It can also reveal hidden patterns or relationships in the data, making it a useful tool in data analysis and scientific research.

Can any matrix be "pseudo-diagonalised"?

No, not all matrices can be pseudo-diagonalised. The matrix must have certain properties, such as being square and having distinct eigenvalues, in order for pseudo-diagonalisation to be possible.

Are there any limitations to "pseudo-diagonalisation"?

Yes, there are limitations to pseudo-diagonalisation. It may not always be possible to achieve a fully diagonal form, and even when it is possible, the resulting diagonal matrix may not accurately represent the original matrix in terms of its properties or relationships.