Interpret the angle of the complex number

In summary, the question is asking to interpret the angle formed by the complex number (z_{1} - z_{2}) / (z_{1} - z_{3}) in the triangle formed by the points z_{1}, z_{2}, and z_{3}. The attempt at a solution involved trying different examples and relating the angle to the dot product of normal vectors. The conclusion was that the angle formed at z_{1} is the same as the argument of \frac{z_{1} - z_{2}}{z_{1} - z_{3}}.
Baba-k
Hi,

Homework Statement

Interpret the angle of the complex number [itex](z_{1} - z_{2}) / (z_{1} - z_{3})[/itex]
in the triangle formed by the points [itex]z_{1}, z_{2}, z_{3}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure what to do in this question, I've done a couple of examples with some complex numbers but haven't noticed anything special about the resulting angle. I'm also a bit confused by what 'Interpret' means. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
babak

Physics news on Phys.org
Baba-k said:
Hi,

Homework Statement

Interpret the angle of the complex number [itex](z_{1} - z_{2}) / (z_{1} - z_{3})[/itex]
in the triangle formed by the points [itex]z_{1}, z_{2}, z_{3}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure what to do in this question, I've done a couple of examples with some complex numbers but haven't noticed anything special about the resulting angle. I'm also a bit confused by what 'Interpret' means. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
babak
In the examples you tried, how does the angle formed at the z1 compare with the argument of [itex]\displaystyle\frac{z_{1} - z_{2}}{z_{1} - z_{3}}\,?[/itex]

I've seen this question before
if you think about z1-z2, that's just like a vector from z1 to z2, yes

so try and relate the division of the angles to the dot products of normal vectors

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses, I think I see now. So the angle formed at [itex]z_{1}[/itex] is the same as the argument of [itex]\frac{z_{1} - z_{2}}{z_{1} - z_{3}}[/itex] ?

thanks
babak

Related to Interpret the angle of the complex number

1. What does the angle of a complex number represent?

The angle of a complex number represents the location of the number in the complex plane, with respect to the positive real axis. It is also known as the argument or phase of the complex number.

2. How is the angle of a complex number calculated?

The angle of a complex number can be calculated using the inverse tangent function, or arctan, of the imaginary component divided by the real component. This can also be written as the ratio of the imaginary part to the real part in polar form.

3. Can the angle of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the angle of a complex number can be negative. This indicates that the number is located in the lower half of the complex plane, below the negative real axis. A negative angle can also be represented by adding 2π to the angle, as angles in the complex plane are periodic.

4. What is the significance of the angle of a complex number?

The angle of a complex number is important in understanding the behavior of the number in relation to other complex numbers. It can also be used to find the magnitude or absolute value of the complex number, as well as to perform operations such as multiplication and division.

5. How does the angle of a complex number affect its graphical representation?

The angle of a complex number determines the direction in which the number is pointing in the complex plane. A larger angle will result in a longer vector, indicating a larger magnitude, while a smaller angle will result in a shorter vector. The angle also affects the position of the number relative to other numbers in the complex plane.