Drawing Complex Numbers on a Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses plotting and finding the shape created by a set of complex numbers. The first complex number, z1, is solved by rationalizing the denominator and simplifying to -i+1. The remaining numbers, z2, z3, and z4, are found by using the conjugate and dividing by i.
Yankel
Hello all,

I wish to plot and following complex numbers on a plane, and to find out which shape will be created. I find it hard to figure out the first one, I believe that the others will follow more easily (the forth is also tricky).

\[z_{1}=\frac{2}{i-1}\]

\[z_{2}=-\bar{z_{1}}\]

\[z_{3}=\bar{z_{2}}\]

\[z_{4}=\frac{z_{3}}{i}\]

Thank you !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"Rationalize the denominator": \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{i- 1}= \frac{2}{i- 1}\frac{-i- 1}{-i- 1}= \frac{2(-i- 1)}{(-1)^2+ 1}= \frac{-2i- 2}{2}= -i+ 1\)

HallsofIvy said:
"Rationalize the denominator": \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{i- 1}= \frac{2}{i- 1}\frac{-i- 1}{-i- 1}= \frac{2(-i- 1)}{(-1)^2+ 1}= \frac{-2i- 2}{2}= -i+ 1\)

you mean -1-i ?

thanks !

Related to Drawing Complex Numbers on a Plane

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit.

2. Why do we draw complex numbers on a plane?

Drawing complex numbers on a plane allows us to visually represent them in a two-dimensional space and better understand their properties and relationships. It also helps in solving complex equations and performing mathematical operations.

3. How do we represent complex numbers on a plane?

Complex numbers can be represented on a plane using the Cartesian coordinate system, where the real part is plotted along the horizontal x-axis and the imaginary part is plotted along the vertical y-axis. The point where these two axes intersect is the origin (0,0) and represents the complex number 0 + 0i.

4. What is the modulus of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. It represents the magnitude or size of the complex number.

5. How do we add and subtract complex numbers on a plane?

To add or subtract complex numbers on a plane, we simply add or subtract their real and imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (1 - 4i) = (3 +1) + (2i - 4i) = 4 - 2i. This can be visually represented by moving along the x-axis for real parts and along the y-axis for imaginary parts.