Interpolation vs Extrapolation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of interpolation instead of extrapolation for calibration curves, except for in the case of Standard additions. The purpose of a calibration curve is to show the relationship between concentration and signal strength for an analyte. It is not recommended to extrapolate as the curve may not remain linear, especially in the case of self-absorption in ICP-AES. This can lead to less precise results.
Beer-monster
Could someone help me understand why interpolation rather than extrapolation should be used for calibration curves (with the exception of Standard additions). I know that extrapolation is less precise, but the book I've got doesn't over any more than that, and I think I need a little more detail for an exam.:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what does a calibration curve tell you ?

The relationship between concentration and signal strength for the analyte.

Would I be right in saying that you can't extrapolate as you can't be sure the curve remains linear (e.g because of self-absorbtion in ICP-AES)?

Beer-monster said:
Would I be right in saying that you can't extrapolate as you can't be sure the curve remains linear (e.g because of self-absorbtion in ICP-AES)?
That's exactly right !

Wow, I feel so very stupid *smacks head*

Related to Interpolation vs Extrapolation

What is the difference between interpolation and extrapolation?

Interpolation is the process of estimating data points within an existing set of known data points. It is used to fill in gaps or missing values in the data. Extrapolation, on the other hand, is the process of estimating data points outside of the existing data set. It is used to make predictions or projections beyond the known data.

Which method is more accurate, interpolation or extrapolation?

Interpolation is generally considered to be more accurate than extrapolation. This is because interpolation is based on existing data points and makes use of known relationships between those points. Extrapolation, on the other hand, involves making assumptions and projecting beyond the known data, which can lead to less accurate results.

When should interpolation be used?

Interpolation should be used when there are gaps or missing values in a data set and the goal is to fill in these gaps with estimated values. It is useful for creating a smoother, more complete data set for further analysis or visualization.

When should extrapolation be used?

Extrapolation should be used when there is a need to make predictions or projections beyond the known data set. It can be useful for forecasting future trends or making predictions based on current data.

What are some potential risks of using extrapolation?

One potential risk of extrapolation is that the data may not follow the same pattern or relationship outside of the known data set. This can lead to inaccurate predictions or projections. Additionally, extrapolation relies on assumptions and can be affected by outliers or errors in the data, which can also lead to inaccurate results.