Interplanetary electromagnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for information on the interplanetary magnetic field, including its strength and variations over time. The individual is looking for references and resources, such as books and online sources, to learn more about the topic. Google Scholar is suggested as a potential resource with over 16,000 hits for the search term "interplanetary magnetic field."
rpr
I am searching information about the interplanetary magnetic field,e.g, what is its strength? Does it vary with time? (I guess so) Are there statistical model to predict its variation in space and time? ...
At the moment I have not a specific question in my mind, but I am looking for some references to know more. A couple of google searches did not get me much, even the wikipedia page does not say much.
About the level of the reference: keep in mind that I am an electrical engineer, therefore I have (I hope... ;-)) a good background in physics and mathematics.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you are looking for a book, a used copy of
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521457149/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Can be found for under $20 delivered (in us). If I recall correctly, there is a chapter on the solar wind and IMF. It is a reasonable book, and your upper division EM class should be sufficient background. I would hope you could find something online if you limit searches to .edu sites, but I'm guessing you already did that.

Good luck.

Edit: here is a table of contents and my review
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ysics-by-m-g-kivelson-and-c-t-russell.673520/
Jason

Last edited:
You mentioned a google search, but not google scholar. This search for interplanetary magnetic field (restricted to 2015 and later) turned up over 16,000 hits. A quick look at some of the titles suggests you will find what you are looking for, though it will likely require significant filtering.

Likes davenn

1. What is an interplanetary electromagnetic field?

An interplanetary electromagnetic field (EMF) is a region of space that is filled with electric and magnetic fields. These fields are created by the interactions between charged particles, such as protons and electrons, that are constantly flowing from the Sun and other celestial bodies.

2. How does the interplanetary EMF affect Earth?

The interplanetary EMF plays a crucial role in protecting Earth from harmful cosmic radiation. The Earth's magnetic field interacts with the interplanetary EMF, deflecting and trapping charged particles that could otherwise be harmful to living organisms. The interplanetary EMF also causes beautiful auroras in the polar regions of Earth.

3. Can humans travel through the interplanetary EMF?

Yes, humans can travel through the interplanetary EMF, but precautions must be taken to protect against the effects of high levels of radiation. Spacecrafts and spacesuits are designed with shielding and protective measures to minimize the exposure of astronauts to the interplanetary EMF.

4. How is the interplanetary EMF studied?

Scientists use various instruments and spacecrafts to study the interplanetary EMF. These include magnetometers, which measure the strength and direction of magnetic fields, and plasma detectors, which measure the properties of charged particles. Spacecrafts such as NASA's Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) and Parker Solar Probe also provide valuable data on the interplanetary EMF.

5. Can the interplanetary EMF be disrupted?

Yes, the interplanetary EMF can be disrupted by solar storms and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) from the Sun. These events can cause disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field and can also affect power grids, satellite communications, and other technological systems on Earth. Scientists are constantly monitoring the interplanetary EMF to better understand and predict these disruptions.