International Professorships/ Working Abroad

In summary, there is a constant bemoaning of the difficulty of obtaining faculty positions in the US, and this situation is similar or worse in other countries. To increase the chances of obtaining a position abroad, it is important to learn a different language and become familiar with the academic scene in the desired country. Tenure works similarly in Europe and East Asia, but US employment laws differ from those in most other countries.
lubuntu
I know that there is a pretty constant bemoaning of how difficult it is to get faculty positions in the US. Is this situation at all different or better in other countries?

US universities often take in people from Europe how about vice versa? What sort of things could you do to get started on a career track that would eventually take you abroad?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first step is probably finishing your undergraduate studies and then getting a PhD ;-)

fss said:
The first step is probably finishing your undergraduate studies and then getting a PhD ;-)

Naturally, but I can't help being a speculator. I actually want to leave the US so I'm more than happy to go. How do the systems in other countries even work and how might you get involved in them?

For example do they have post-docs? How does tenure work? Are there a lot of universities who will take professors that only speak English outside of the anglosphere.

I just kind of want to learn more about it in general does anyone know any resources?

In general you will be required to speak the language of whatever country you are aiming for. As for the professorships: That is very different from country to country. In Germany, for example, there is no tenure track. If you want to become a professor, you already need to be an established scientist. But becoming a professor there is most likely not simpler than in the US, as the positions are awarded for a lifetime and as basically all universities have the same level (i.e., you can't just go for a bad school, because all have more or less the same requirements). Also, you'd need to be present in the local science scene (i.e., attend the national conferences and talk to the people with influence etc.)

lubuntu said:
I know that there is a pretty constant bemoaning of how difficult it is to get faculty positions in the US. Is this situation at all different or better in other countries?

The moaning is on how difficult it is to get a faculty position in general. The situation in non-US countries is either the same or worse. One thing that the US has is a lot of decent "middle class" universities, whereas most other countries structure their higher education so its either elite or nothing.

US universities often take in people from Europe how about vice versa? What sort of things could you do to get started on a career track that would eventually take you abroad?

Learn a different language. The academic stuff is mostly in English, but if you can read Chinese, then you can read stuff like Chinese newspapers that give you information about things that are going on in China.

lubuntu said:
For example do they have post-docs?

Generally yes.

How does tenure work?

In Europe pretty much the same as the US. In East Asia, most places don't have anything officially like tenure, but unofficially they do.

Also US employment law in general works very differently than in most other countries. In pretty much every other countries except for the US, if you work at anything, there is a legal requirement for a labor contract, and employers can't fire you at random the way that US employers can.

Related to International Professorships/ Working Abroad

1. What are the requirements for obtaining an international professorship?

The requirements for obtaining an international professorship vary depending on the country and institution. However, some common requirements include having a doctoral degree, a strong research background, relevant teaching experience, and proficiency in the language of instruction.

2. How can I find international job opportunities in academia?

There are several ways to find international job opportunities in academia. You can search online job boards of universities and research institutions in the country of your choice, attend international conferences and networking events, and reach out to colleagues and professors in your field who have connections abroad.

3. What are the benefits of working abroad as a professor?

Working abroad as a professor can offer numerous benefits, such as exposure to different cultures and teaching styles, opportunities for international collaborations and research projects, and the chance to expand your professional network. It can also enhance your CV and make you more competitive in the job market.

4. How can I prepare for the cultural differences when working abroad?

To prepare for cultural differences when working abroad, it is important to educate yourself about the country's customs, values, and social norms. You can also reach out to people who have lived or worked in the country and ask for their advice and insights. Additionally, being open-minded, adaptable, and respectful of different cultures can help you navigate any cultural differences.

5. Will I need a work visa to work abroad as a professor?

This will depend on the country you are planning to work in and your nationality. In most cases, you will need a work visa to legally work abroad as a professor. It is important to research and understand the visa requirements and application process for your specific situation well in advance of your planned move.