Interference: Resultant intensity.

In summary: Find the square of resultant amplitude. Then convert it to intensity by using the relation between intensity and amplitude.In summary, to find the resultant intensity of two waves interfering with the same frequency, use the equation I = I1 + I2 + 2*sqrt(I1*I2)*cos(δ), where I1 and I2 are the intensities of the two waves and δ is the phase difference between them. This equation is derived from the relation between intensity and amplitude, where amplitude behaves like vectors. To find the resultant amplitude, first find the resultant of the two amplitudes A1 and A2 with angle δ between them, then square the result. Finally, convert the resultant amplitude to intensity by using the relation between
physlol

Homework Statement

To waves with the same frequency interfere. The intensity of the two waves are I1 and I2. Show that the resultant intensity is:

I = I1 +I2 + 2*sqrt(I1*I2)*cos(δ)

Where δ is the phase difference between the two waves.

Hint: Use the relation between intensity and amplitude.

Homework Equations

None given, except the one above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried alot, but i really don't have a clue. Firstly: What is the relation between intensity and amplitude?

And I'm sorry for my language. English, as well as physics obviously, are not mye favourite subjects :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi physlol, welcome to PF.
You have said that you tried a lot, but you have not shown any attempt. Even you have not opened the textbook to see the relation between intensity and amplitude.
Amplitudes behave like vectors. Do you know how to find the resultant of two vectors having an angle θ between?
Collect these information and come back. We will helpyou.

rl.bhat said:
You have said that you tried a lot, but you have not shown any attempt. Even you have not opened the textbook to see the relation between intensity and amplitude.

Yes, I did try. Yes, I have opened my textbook( Physics for scientists and engineers, Tipler & Mosca). But I did not find anything that helped me. So I've been sitting here, trying to get something usefull out of playing around with formulas that i don't have think will work.

rl.bhat said:
Amplitudes behave like vectors.

This I did not know. I don't know how this would help me, though.

rl.bhat said:
Do you know how to find the resultant of two vectors having an angle θ between?

Yes.

Well. I am surprised to know that in the interference chapter they are not discussing the relation between intensity and amplitude, constructive and destructive interference.
Any way intensity is proportional to square of amplitude.
If two wave have A1 and A2 with pηase difference δ, find the resultant amplitude.
Then convert this into intensity.

Thanks for the reply.

I am able to prove that the equation is correct if both the amplitudes that interfere are equal by using A2 = p0 + Cos(0,5*δ).

But they do not have to be equal i assume, and therefor I am kinda lost on how to come up with an expression for the resultant amplitude that I can convert to intensity.

I am sorry if there is something obvious that I have overlooked, but physics is really not my strongest subject.

You have told that you know how to find the resultant of two vectors.
Find the resultant of vector A1 and A2 having angle between them δ.

Related to Interference: Resultant intensity.

1. What is interference in relation to resultant intensity?

Interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves interact with each other. In the context of resultant intensity, interference refers to the combination of two or more waves resulting in a new intensity pattern.

2. How does interference affect the resultant intensity of waves?

Interference can either increase or decrease the resultant intensity of waves depending on the phase difference between the waves. When the waves are in phase, they will add constructively and result in a higher intensity. When they are out of phase, they will cancel each other out and result in a lower intensity.

3. What factors influence interference and resultant intensity?

The main factors that influence interference and resultant intensity are the wavelength, amplitude, and phase difference between the waves. The distance between the sources and the medium through which the waves travel can also affect interference.

4. Can interference be observed in all types of waves?

Yes, interference can occur in all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. However, the specific conditions for interference to occur may vary depending on the type of wave.

5. What are some real-life examples of interference and resultant intensity?

One common example of interference and resultant intensity is the phenomenon of colored bands that can be seen in thin films, such as soap bubbles or oil slicks. This is caused by light waves reflecting off the top and bottom surfaces of the film and interfering with each other. Another example is the noise-canceling feature in headphones, where sound waves from the environment interfere with the opposite sound waves produced by the headphones, resulting in reduced noise.