Interference of circularly polarized waves

In summary, two circularly polarized monochromatic plane waves, S2 and S3, with an incidence angle θ, are arriving at the xy plane. The intensity of the light projected in the xy plane can be found using the expression for a monochromatic plane wave and assuming a linear polarization for both waves. However, for circular polarization, the TE and TM components are dephased by 90 degrees and the E field may have a component along the z-axis due to the incoming beams not being parallel to the z-axis.
carllacan

Homework Statement

Two (left) circularly polarized monochromatic plane waves S2 and S3 arrive at the xy plane with an incidence angle θ (see figure). Find the intensity of the light projected in the xy plane.
a2dl74_th.png

(Nevermind S1, it is only mentioned in another part of the problem)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've written down the expression for a monochromatic plane wave circularly polarized using $$\vec e_1 = sinθ\vec i + cos θ \vec j $$ $$\vec e_2 = \vec j$$ as the basis for the polarization vector for S2 and $$\vec e_1 = -sinθ\vec i + cosθ \vec j $$ $$\vec e_2 = \vec j$$ for S3. Then the electromagnetic vector at the xy plane its just the sum of them both.

Now the intensity would be $$ I = \frac{εc} {n} \langle \vec E_r^2 \rangle = \frac{εc} {c} \vec E · \vec E^* = \frac{εc} {c} (\vec E_1 + \vec E_2)·(\vec E_1^* + \vec E_2 ^*)$$, but to get to this point every source I've found has assumed that both waves are linearly polarized, so I'm not sure if it would be the same with other polarizations. I don't see why not, but I would like to confirm it before going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all for circular polarization, the TE and TM components of the light are dephased by 900, which doesn't seem to manifest in your expression for the unit vectors. Second, since the incoming beams are not parallel to the z axis, therefore you must expect that the E field has a component along the z-direction.

Related to Interference of circularly polarized waves

1. What is circularly polarized light?

Circularly polarized light is a type of electromagnetic radiation, such as visible light or radio waves, where the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion as the wave propagates through space. It can be described as a combination of two perpendicular linearly polarized waves with equal amplitude and a phase difference of 90 degrees.

2. How does interference occur with circularly polarized waves?

Interference of circularly polarized waves occurs when two or more waves with the same frequency and polarization direction overlap in space. The resulting interference pattern is a combination of constructive and destructive interference, which can be observed as changes in the intensity or direction of the polarized light.

3. What are the applications of interference with circularly polarized waves?

Interference of circularly polarized waves has many practical applications in various fields, including telecommunications, optics, and spectroscopy. In telecommunications, circularly polarized waves are used to minimize signal interference and improve transmission efficiency. In optics, they are used in 3D glasses and polarizing filters. In spectroscopy, they can be used to analyze the properties of molecules and materials.

4. How is the degree of circular polarization (DoCP) related to interference?

The degree of circular polarization (DoCP) is a measure of the amount of circular polarization present in the light. It is directly related to the interference pattern observed when two circularly polarized waves interfere. Higher DoCP values indicate a greater intensity and clarity of the interference pattern, while lower values indicate weaker interference.

5. Can circularly polarized waves interfere with linearly polarized waves?

Yes, circularly polarized waves can interfere with linearly polarized waves. However, the resulting interference pattern may not be as clear or predictable as when two circularly polarized waves interfere. This is because linearly polarized waves have a fixed polarization direction, while circularly polarized waves have a continuously changing polarization direction, making it more difficult to control the interference pattern.