Interesting Physics Project: Slingshot car

In summary, for a physics project, the task is to build a manpowered cart that can slingshoot a regular volleyball 8-10m and knock down a pile of buckets. The cart will be approximately 5'3 in length and just wide enough for one person. The most powerful force is achieved with a slingshot positioned at 45 degrees. Surgical tubing could be used to make the slingshot, and some elevation may be needed for the fastest ball to reach the target.
jen333
Hey,
for a physics project, i have the task of building a manpowered cart that will fit one person in and slingshoot a regular volleyball a whopping 8-10m! the basic plan so far is to have the cart approximately 5'3 in length and just wide enough to fit the person it. The task is to hit a target composed of a pile of buckets that need to be knocked down. it's been found that in order to have the most powerful force, the slingshot must be positioned at forty five degrees. any ideas on what material could be used to make the slingshot, or how? ideas appreciated!

:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
You asked for ideas...here's one : http://www.globalspec.com/trebuchet/

jen333 said:
Hey,
for a physics project, i have the task of building a manpowered cart that will fit one person in and slingshoot a regular volleyball a whopping 8-10m! the basic plan so far is to have the cart approximately 5'3 in length and just wide enough to fit the person it. The task is to hit a target composed of a pile of buckets that need to be knocked down. it's been found that in order to have the most powerful force, the slingshot must be positioned at forty five degrees. any ideas on what material could be used to make the slingshot, or how? ideas appreciated!

:biggrin:

If you cannot get hold of one of those other suggested contraptions :smile: you might get some surgical tubing for your slingshot. Just put "surgical tubing" into google, and you will find vendors. The first one I found was advertising it for use as "spear gun tubing". You will probably want 4 lengths of it to attach to the corners of the "pouch" to stabilize the ball.

The 45 degrees will give you the longest range, but that does not mean the most powerful force on the target. The most force will be from the fastest ball that can reach the target. Some elevation will be wanted, but I expect you can do with less than 45 degrees.

Related to Interesting Physics Project: Slingshot car

1. What is a slingshot car?

A slingshot car is a simple physics project that involves using a rubber band or elastic string to propel a car forward. The car is attached to the rubber band, and when the rubber band is stretched and released, it provides the force to move the car.

2. How does a slingshot car work?

A slingshot car works on the principle of potential and kinetic energy. The rubber band stores potential energy when it is stretched, and this energy is then released as the rubber band contracts, converting into kinetic energy and propelling the car forward.

3. What materials are needed to make a slingshot car?

To make a slingshot car, you will need a small toy car, a rubber band or elastic string, some wooden skewers or pencils, and a hot glue gun. You can also use other materials such as cardboard, straws, and bottle caps to make the car body and wheels.

4. What are the key physics concepts demonstrated by a slingshot car?

A slingshot car demonstrates the concepts of potential and kinetic energy, as well as the conversion of energy from one form to another. It also showcases the principles of force, motion, and energy conservation.

5. How can I make my slingshot car go faster or farther?

There are several ways to make a slingshot car go faster or farther. You can experiment with different rubber band sizes and materials, adjust the angle and tension of the rubber band, reduce friction by using smooth surfaces or adding lubricant, and make the car body more aerodynamic. You can also increase the weight of the car or the length of the rubber band to increase the force and potential energy.