I need recommendations for an interesting Senior Project.

In summary, the conversation discussed a high school student's interest in physics, specifically particle physics and quantum mechanics, and their desire to incorporate it into their senior project. They considered building a small particle accelerator, but due to lack of experience with electricity, it was not feasible. The idea of a simulation, potentially related to particle physics, was suggested as a possible project idea. The student also mentioned their programming skills and future plans to take AP Computer Science.
AMuonParticle
I'm currently a junior in high school, and I'm really interested in physics, especially particle physics and quantum mechanics. At my school, everybody needs to do a big senior project to graduate, involving multiple papers and about 30 hours of work, usually to build something or organize a community event. Most people end up restoring an old car or something similar, but I would really like to tie in my interest in theoretical physics. I still have another 6 months before I need to know exactly what I'm going to do. Does anyone have any recommendations for a long term project involving these areas of physics? My first thought was to build a small particle accelerator, but I don't have any experience working with electricity, so I'd probably accidentally fry myself from the high voltage. Other ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you good with programming?

micromass said:
Are you good with programming?
I'm no expert, I know python pretty well, and I'm starting to learn Java. I'll be taking AP Computer Science next year so I should be a lot more well-versed with Java by the time I'm actually working on the project.

AMuonParticle said:
I'm no expert, I know python pretty well, and I'm starting to learn Java. I'll be taking AP Computer Science next year so I should be a lot more well-versed with Java by the time I'm actually working on the project.

Well, you could write some kind of simulation. Like simulate a solar system, a chaotic double pendulum, etc.

micromass said:
Well, you could write some kind of simulation. Like simulate a solar system, a chaotic double pendulum, etc.
That's actually a pretty good idea. I might be able to tie that into particle physics by simulating some basic interactions. I'll definitely consider that as an option, thanks!

Likes Dr. Courtney

Related to I need recommendations for an interesting Senior Project.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a topic for my Senior Project?

When choosing a topic for your Senior Project, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and available resources. You should also think about the relevance and impact of your project, and how it aligns with your academic and career goals.

2. How can I come up with a unique and interesting Senior Project idea?

One way to come up with a unique and interesting Senior Project idea is to brainstorm with your peers and professors. You can also look for inspiration from current research and real-world problems, or consider combining different disciplines or approaches in your project.

3. What are some examples of successful Senior Projects?

Examples of successful Senior Projects can vary greatly depending on the field and individual interests. Some common examples include conducting an original research study, developing a prototype or product, creating a piece of art or literature, or implementing a community service project.

4. How should I manage my time and resources while working on my Senior Project?

Managing time and resources is crucial for the success of your Senior Project. It is important to create a detailed timeline and schedule, set realistic goals, and communicate regularly with your advisor. You should also make use of available resources such as lab equipment, library resources, and funding opportunities.

5. Can I work on a Senior Project with a team or should I work individually?

This ultimately depends on the requirements and guidelines set by your institution. Some Senior Projects may require individual work, while others may allow for team collaboration. If you are considering working on a team project, make sure to communicate clearly with your team members and establish a clear division of responsibilities.