Intensive GRE study or job over summer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach for studying for the math GRE in preparation for graduate school applications. The options considered are studying intensively over the summer, taking a full-time job, or finding a balance between the two. The group agrees that it may not be feasible or effective to devote all summer to GRE studying and recommends finding a balance between work and study. There is also a discussion on the importance of GRE scores for graduate school and funding opportunities.
EternusVia
Hello all,

I'm going into my senior year of applied mathematics this coming Fall semester. My adviser recommended that I take the GRE before Fall semester starts so that I can have my Grad school applications in by the December deadline. My question is as follows:

Would it be better to study intensively for the math GRE over the summer, or take a full-time job? Or some in-between?

On the one hand, I know I'll need money. On the other, getting a better GRE score could get me more funding (I assume).

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in physics so it may be different, but you cannot possibly devote every waking hour of an entire summer to GRE study. You will not only burn out, but be less effective. I urge you to consider taking the full-time job (or less than full-time if possible) and study for the GRE in addition to this.

I think the next GRE exams are sometime in October, so I don't see how you can have it taken before the beginning of Fall.

Get the job, but take at least 3 weeks off or at the least, part-time, to study. I'd put GRE studying anywhere between a 1 and 4 credit course, depending on the person.

Here's another question. Realistically, how important are GRE scores for getting into graduate school and getting funding?

Related to Intensive GRE study or job over summer?

1. What are the benefits of doing intensive GRE study or job over summer?

There are several benefits to doing intensive GRE study or job over summer, including being able to fully focus on your studies without the distraction of other classes or responsibilities, having more time to prepare for the exam, and potentially improving your score and increasing your chances of getting into your desired graduate program.

2. How should I structure my study schedule for an intensive GRE study over summer?

It is important to create a structured study schedule that allows for consistent and focused study sessions. This could include setting aside specific times each day or week for studying, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks, and incorporating breaks and review sessions. It is also important to prioritize and focus on the areas where you need the most improvement.

3. Can I balance an intensive GRE study or job with other summer activities or commitments?

It is possible to balance an intensive GRE study or job with other summer activities or commitments, but it may require good time management skills and prioritization. It is important to make a schedule and stick to it, and to communicate with others about your commitments and the importance of your GRE study or job.

4. Should I take a break from studying or working during the summer if I plan to do an intensive GRE study or job?

It is generally not recommended to take a break from studying or working during the summer if you plan to do an intensive GRE study or job. Continuity and consistency are important for success in studying for the GRE, and taking a break can disrupt your progress and make it harder to get back into a routine.

5. How can I stay motivated during an intensive GRE study or job over summer?

Staying motivated during an intensive GRE study or job over summer can be challenging, but there are a few strategies you can use. Setting specific goals and tracking your progress can help you stay focused and motivated. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group for accountability and support. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for your hard work can help keep motivation high.