Intensity with distance of LED

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a data file for the intensity of an LED at a specific distance. The formula for calculating the intensity is mentioned and it is noted that the distance from the LED to the grid affects the intensity values. The use of a lens to reduce the half power angle of the LED is also mentioned, along with the potential impact on the code. Finally, the question of accounting for different pixels subtending different solid angles is raised.
InnealtóirLeTeacht
Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a data file that contains the intensity of an LED at a particular distance. For each data segment, the distance from the centre point (red dot on my very amateur paint drawing) is d and the distance from the LED to this purple grid is z. So I calculated that the intensity at each point is:

(where power of LED is It=130mW to take an example)

I_data = It*[tex]\frac{z}{\sqrt{d^2 +z^2}}[/tex]*z^(-2)

so I am just multiplying the intensity perpendicular to the grid by the cosine of the angle and the inverse of the distance squared.

The distance from the LED to the grid is around 15cm, so originally I had z=0.15, which gave me the wrong intensity values. So I am not sure what to try next, any help would be greatly appreciated!

As a side note, I would also like to use a lens to reduce the half power angle of the LED and I'm wondering how this would affect the code above.

Attachments

• LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you accounted for the fact that different pixels subtend different solid angles with respect to the source? I suspect if you attempt to integrate the irradiance over each pixel you will find your answer.

Claude.

Related to Intensity with distance of LED

1. What is the relationship between intensity and distance for an LED?

The intensity of an LED decreases as the distance from the LED increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the intensity decreases as the square of the distance increases.

2. How does the intensity of an LED change with distance?

As the distance from the LED increases, the intensity decreases. This is due to the spreading out of light as it travels away from the source.

3. Can the intensity of an LED be increased by moving it closer to an object?

Yes, the intensity of an LED can be increased by moving it closer to an object. This is because the light emitted from the LED will be more concentrated and less spread out, resulting in a higher intensity.

4. How does the intensity of an LED compare to other light sources?

The intensity of an LED is typically higher than traditional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs. LEDs are known for their efficiency and ability to produce high levels of light with low energy consumption.

5. Is there a limit to how far an LED can emit light?

Yes, there is a limit to how far an LED can emit light. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of light decreases as the square of the distance increases. At a certain distance, the intensity will become too low to be perceived by the human eye.