Integration with trig substitution

In summary, integration with trig substitution is a method used to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions by substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral. It is typically used for integrals with square roots of quadratic expressions or combinations of trigonometric functions. The most commonly used trigonometric substitutions include sinθ = √(1-cos²θ), cosθ = √(1-sin²θ), and tanθ = √(sec²θ - 1), chosen based on the trigonometric function present in the integral. The choice of substitution depends on the form of the integral and similarities with trigonometric identities. However, there are some special cases where other integration techniques may be more
Ethan Godden

Homework Statement

The problem is the integral attached

Homework Equations

sec2(u)=(1+tan2(x))
a2+b2=c2
∫cos(u)=-sin(u)+C

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is attached. I am wondering if someone could give me a hint where I went drastically wrong or where I possibly dropped a negative. Hopefully what will come of this is the latter.

Thank you in advance,

Ethan

Attachments

• Integral.pdf
    489.4 KB · Views: 188
Physics news on Phys.org
The one idea I have, by the way, is when I simplify the √sec2(x), it could become -sec(x). This is my only idea.

Ethan Godden said:
The one idea I have, by the way, is when I simplify the √sec2(x), it could become -sec(x). This is my only idea.
Yes, if sec(x) < 0, then ##\ \sqrt{\sec^2(x)\,}=-\sec (x)\ .##

how do I know sec(x)< 0? The only information given is the integral at the beginning and that a>0.

Ethan Godden said:

Homework Statement

The problem is the integral attached

Homework Equations

sec2(u)=(1+tan2(x))
a2+b2=c2
∫cos(u)=-sin(u)+C

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is attached. I am wondering if someone could give me a hint where I went drastically wrong or where I possibly dropped a negative. Hopefully what will come of this is the latter.

Thank you in advance,

Ethan
I see two mistakes.
1. ##\int cos u du = sin u##, not -sin u
2. ##sec u = \frac {\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}}{a}##. You don't have that written down, and I suspect that you lost a factor of a in your simplification.
Ethan Godden said:
No, that would be plain old sec(x).

Likes Ethan Godden
Ethan Godden said:
how do I know sec(x)< 0? The only information given is the integral at the beginning and that a>0.
If ##0 \le u < \pi/2##, sec(u) will be positive. This is a reasonable assumption in your trig substitution.

Thank you,

Mark44 said:
2. ##sec u = \frac {\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}}{a}##. You don't have that written down, and I suspect that you lost a factor of a in your simplification.

My only follow up question is why is this significant?

I am not at sin(u)/a. I know by the trig circle that the opposite side is equal to x, the adjacent side is a, and the hypotenuse is √(x2+a2 ). This means sin(u)=x/√(x2+a2 ). I don't know where the sec(u) back substitution came from.

Thank You,

Ethan

Ethan Godden said:
Thank you,
My only follow up question is why is this significant?

I am not at sin(u)/a. I know by the trig circle that the opposite side is equal to x, the adjacent side is a, and the hypotenuse is √(x2+a2 ). This means sin(u)=x/√(x2+a2 ). I don't know where the sec(u) back substitution came from.
I always draw a triangle when I do trig substitution -- I don't clutter up my brain with memorized forumulas that I might forget. In my triangle u is the acute angle I'm interested in. The adjacent side is a, the opposite side is x, the hypotenuse is ##\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}##. From this triangle I get ##tan u = \frac x a## and my expression for sec(u).

Mark44 said:
I always draw a triangle when I do trig substitution -- I don't clutter up my brain with memorized forumulas that I might forget. In my triangle u is the acute angle I'm interested in. The adjacent side is a, the opposite side is x, the hypotenuse is ##\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}##. From this triangle I get ##tan u = \frac x a## and my expression for sec(u).
I guess my main question is why are you dealing with sec(u) when the question ends up with sin(u)/a2. Shouldn't I be drawing a trig ciricle for sin(u) and not sec(u)?

Ethan Godden said:
I guess my main question is why are you dealing with sec(u) when the question ends up with sin(u)/a2. Shouldn't I be drawing a trig ciricle for sin(u) and not sec(u)?
The sec(u) factor comes in because of the ##(a^2 + x^2)^{3/2}## in the denominator. In the triangle I described, ##\tan u = \frac x a## and ##\sec u = \frac{\sqrt{a^2 + x^2}}{a}##. I hope that's clear.

You use the triangle (not a trig "ciricle") to undo the substitution ##\tan u = \frac x a##. From the triangle you can figure out all of the trig relationships, including ##\sin u##.

I would suggest omitting some of the unnecessary algebraic manipulations, like what you did with the denominator before doing the trig substitution.
$$(a^2+x^2)^{3/2} = (\sqrt{a^2+x^2})^3 = (\sqrt{a^2+a^2\tan^2 u})^3 = (a\sec u)^3$$ Fewer steps, easier to read for the grader, less chance of making a dumb algebra mistake, etc. Also, after you change variables to ##u##, the limits are no longer ##0## and ##a##. If you had changed the limits to ##u=0## to ##u=\pi/4##, you probably would have realized that ##\sec u > 0## and that your error lay elsewhere.

Likes Ethan Godden

Related to Integration with trig substitution

1. What is integration with trig substitution?

Integration with trig substitution is a method used to solve integrals that involve trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral, allowing for a simpler integration process.

2. When should I use trig substitution for integration?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integral contains a square root of a quadratic expression, or when the integrand contains a combination of trigonometric functions. It can also be used to simplify integrals with rational functions.

3. What are the common trigonometric substitutions used in integration?

The most commonly used trigonometric substitutions are:

• sinθ = √(1-cos²θ)
  • cosθ = √(1-sin²θ)
  • tanθ = √(sec²θ - 1)
These substitutions are chosen based on the trigonometric function present in the integral.

4. How do I know which trig substitution to use for a specific integral?

The choice of trig substitution depends on the form of the integral. You should look for patterns or similarities between the integrand and the trigonometric identities. For example, if the integral contains √(1-x²), you can use the substitution x = sinθ.

5. Are there any special cases when using trig substitution for integration?

Yes, there are some special cases where trig substitution may not be the most efficient method for integration. These include integrals with higher powers of trigonometric functions, integrals with multiple trigonometric functions, and integrals with limits of integration that do not correspond to the substitution. In these cases, other integration techniques may be more suitable.