Integration With Trig Substitution Calc II

In summary, we were asked to find the integral \int \frac{\sqrt{196 x^2-144}}{x} dx. After rewriting the integral and substituting for x, we were left with 12 \int tan^2 \theta d \theta. After finding the integral of tan^2 \theta and substituting for x correctly, the final answer is 2 \sqrt{49 x^2 - 36} + 12 tan^-1\left[\frac {6}{\sqrt{49 x^2 -36}}\right] + c. The mistake in the initial attempt was forgetting to integrate the 1 in the integrand.
Wm_Davies

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{196 x^2-144}}{x} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first rewrote the integral...
[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{(14x)^2-12^2}}{x} dx[/tex]
Then I let...
14x=12sec[tex]\theta[/tex]
thus...
x=6/7sec[tex]\theta[/tex]
dx=6/7sec[tex] \theta tan \theta d \theta[/tex]

My progression of this problem is as follows:

[tex] \int \frac{\sqrt{(144(sec^2 \theta -1)}}{6/7sec \theta} d \theta[/tex]
[tex]12 \int \frac{tan \theta}{6/7sec \theta}(6/7sec \theta tan \theta) d \theta[/tex]
[tex]12 \int tan^2 \theta d \theta[/tex]
[tex]12 \int sec^2 - 1 \theta d \theta[/tex]
[tex]12 tan \theta [/tex]

I am not sure how to finish the problem after that. I am also not sure I did that right since I am very new at this, but I have a feeling everything I did was right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check all your steps, but didn't you forget to integrate the -θ in the last integral?

Now draw a little right triangle in the first quadrant with hypotenuse 7x, x-side of 6 and y-side of [itex]\sqrt{(49x^2-36)}[/itex] and polar angle θ. You should be able to read everything off this triangle to get your answer back in terms of x.

LCKurtz said:
I didn't check all your steps, but didn't you forget to integrate the -θ in the last integral?

Sorry the last integral was a typo it should be...

[tex]12 \int sec^2 \theta - 1 d \theta[/tex]

Okay so after I fill this in the answer should be...

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{49x^2-36}}{6}+c[/tex]

That answer is wrong. I am not sure what mistake I made.

Wm_Davies said:
That answer is wrong. I am not sure what mistake I made.

I forgot to multiply it by 12 so I would have had...

[tex]2 \sqrt{49x^2 - 36} + c [/tex]

which is still wrong

I checked Wolfram Alpha and they gave me the answer as...

[tex]2 \sqrt{49 x^2 - 36} + 12 tan^-1\left[\frac {6}{\sqrt{49 x^2 -36}}\right] + c[/tex]

So I now know that I am close, but after checking it with the steps in Wolfram Alpha I am still not sure where I went wrong.

Last edited:
What is ∫tan2θ dθ? There's really no need to change tan2θ to sec2θ - 1 that I can see.
Once you find that integral, make sure you substitute for x correctly.

Wm_Davies said:
So I now know that I am close, but after checking it with the steps in Wolfram Alpha I am still not sure where I went wrong.
You forgot to integrate the 1 in the integrand.

vela said:
You forgot to integrate the 1 in the integrand.

Wow, I did forget to do that! Thanks for noticing that. I got it now.

Related to Integration With Trig Substitution Calc II

1. How do you know when to use trig substitution in integration?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a radical expression or a quadratic function that cannot be easily factored. It can also be used when the integrand contains expressions of the form a^2 - x^2 or a^2 + x^2, where a is a constant.

2. What are the steps for performing trig substitution in integration?

The first step is to identify the appropriate trigonometric function to substitute in for the variable. Then, use a trig identity to rewrite the integrand in terms of the chosen function. After substitution, use the appropriate trigonometric substitution formula to simplify the integrand and solve for the integral.

3. Can trig substitution be used for all types of integrals?

No, trig substitution is only applicable to certain types of integrals, specifically those involving radicals or quadratic functions. It cannot be used for all types of integrals.

4. How do you choose the appropriate trigonometric function for substitution?

The choice of trigonometric function depends on the form of the integrand. For expressions involving a^2 - x^2, the appropriate substitution is x = a*sin(theta). For expressions involving a^2 + x^2, the appropriate substitution is x = a*tan(theta). For expressions involving sqrt(x^2 + a^2), the appropriate substitution is x = a*tan(theta).

5. Are there any tips for making trig substitution easier?

One helpful tip is to always start by rewriting the integrand in terms of the chosen trigonometric function. This makes the substitution process smoother. Additionally, memorizing common trigonometric identities can also make the process easier and faster.