Integration with trig identities and absolute value

If we pick $z \le 0$ we can also replace $\sqrt{z^2}$ by $z$ and we get:$$-\frac 2 3 \int_{-2}^0 x^5\sqrt{1-x^3} dx = -\frac 2 3 \int_0^{-2} z(1-z^2) \sqrt{z^2}dz = -\frac 2 3 \int_0^{-2} z(1-z^2) \cdot z\,...dz = -\frac 2 3 \
Dethrone
In integration, we are allowed to use identities such as \(\displaystyle sinx = \sqrt{1-cos^2x}\). Why does that work, and why doesn't make a difference in integration? Graphing \(\displaystyle \sqrt{1-cos^2x}\) is only equal to sinx on certain intervals such as\(\displaystyle (0, \pi) \)and \(\displaystyle (2\pi, 3\pi)\). More correctly, shouldn't we use the absolute value of \(\displaystyle \sin\left({x}\right)\)?

\(\displaystyle sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x\)
\(\displaystyle |sinx| = \sqrt{1 = cos^2x}\)
or defined piecewisely = {\(\displaystyle \sin\left({x}\right)\) in regions where it is above the x-axis, and -\(\displaystyle \sin\left({x}\right)\) in regions where x is below the x-axis.

Is it possible to even truly isolate "\(\displaystyle \sin\left({x}\right)\)" from
\(\displaystyle sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x\)? It seems as the |\(\displaystyle \sin\left({x}\right)\)| is the closest we can to isolate it.

Sorry if I may seem confusing, but the concept of absolute value still confuses me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
In integration, we are allowed to use identities such as \(\displaystyle sinx = \sqrt{1-cos^2x}\). Why does that work, and why doesn't make a difference in integration? Graphing \(\displaystyle \sqrt{1-cos^2x}\) is only equal to sinx on certain intervals such as\(\displaystyle (0, \pi) \)and \(\displaystyle (2\pi, 3\pi)\). More correctly, shouldn't we use the absolute value of \(\displaystyle \sin\left({x}\right)\)?

\(\displaystyle sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x\)
\(\displaystyle |sinx| = \sqrt{1 = cos^2x}\)
or defined piecewisely = {\(\displaystyle \sin\left({x}\right)\) in regions where it is above the x-axis, and -\(\displaystyle \sin\left({x}\right)\) in regions where x is below the x-axis.

Is it possible to even truly isolate "\(\displaystyle \sin\left({x}\right)\)" from
\(\displaystyle sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x\)? It seems as the |\(\displaystyle \sin\left({x}\right)\)| is the closest we can to isolate it.

Sorry if I may seem confusing, but the concept of absolute value still confuses me.

Hi Rido12! :)

As you surmise, we cannot just use \(\displaystyle \sin x = \sqrt{1-\cos^2x}\).
Depending on the value of x, it can also be \(\displaystyle \sin x = -\sqrt{1-\cos^2x}\)

If we use the expression in an integral, we need to split the integral in separate integrals and use the appropriate version in each integral.

For instance:
$$\int_0^{2\pi} \sin x \, dx
= \int_0^{\pi} \sin x \, dx + \int_{\pi}^{2\pi} \sin x \, dx
= \int_0^{\pi} \sqrt{1-\cos^2x} \, dx + \int_{\pi}^{2\pi} -\sqrt{1-\cos^2x} \, dx$$

I like Serena said:
Hi Rido12! :)

As you surmise, we cannot just use \(\displaystyle \sin x = \sqrt{1-\cos^2x}\).
Depending on the value of x, it can also be \(\displaystyle \sin x = -\sqrt{1-\cos^2x}\)

If we use the expression in an integral, we need to split the integral in separate integrals and use the appropriate version in each integral.

For instance:
$$\int_0^{2\pi} \sin x \, dx
= \int_0^{\pi} \sin x \, dx + \int_{\pi}^{2\pi} \sin x \, dx
= \int_0^{\pi} \sqrt{1-\cos^2x} \, dx + \int_{\pi}^{2\pi} -\sqrt{1-\cos^2x} \, dx$$

Thank you! My suspicions were correct. Btw, do you have any ideas as to why the absolute value is generally left out / ignored in integration, as in the following integral?

\(\displaystyle ∫ x^5\sqrt{1-x^3} dx\) , you can make the substitution \(\displaystyle 1 - x^3 = z^2\). The square root of \(\displaystyle z^2 \) should then become |z|, but instead, it is just left as "z".

Last edited:
Rido12 said:
Thank you! My suspicions were correct. Btw, do you have any ideas as to why the absolute value is generally left out / ignored in integration, as in the following integral?

\(\displaystyle ∫ x^5\sqrt{1-x^3} dx\) , you can make the substitution \(\displaystyle 1 - x^3 = z^2\). The square root of \(\displaystyle z^2 \) should then become |z|, but instead, it is just left as "z".

It's a choice.

We can pick $z$ either positive or negative, but not both.
The reason is that $1-x^3$ is a function that is monotone between 0 and infinity.
That means we have to pick $z$ such that $z^2$ is also monotone between 0 and infinity.
That is only the case if we either pick $z$ to be negative or we pick $z$ to be positive.

Calculating with a positive $z$ is usually easier, so that choice is often implicitly made.

What do you mean by "monotone"? You mean that it's like an even function? And that the interval (0, infinity) is the same as (-infinity, 0)?

Rido12 said:

While you probably could use that substitution, a better one (due to lack of ambiguity) is the substitution $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z = 1 - x^3 \implies \mathrm{d}z = -3x^2 \end{align*}$, giving

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ x^5 \, \sqrt{1 - x^3}\,\mathrm{d}x } &= - \frac{1}{3} \int{ x^3 \,\sqrt{1 - x^3} \, \left( -3x^2 \right) \, \mathrm{d}x } \\ &= -\frac{1}{3}\int{ \left( 1 - z \right) \, \sqrt{ z } \, \mathrm{d}z } \\ &= -\frac{1}{3} \int{ z^{\frac{1}{2}} - z^{\frac{3}{2}}\,\mathrm{d}z} \end{align*}$

and I'm sure you can go from here without any worry :)

Rido12 said:
What do you mean by "monotone"? You mean that it's like an even function? And that the interval (0, infinity) is the same as (-infinity, 0)?

Monotone means that the function passes the horizontal line test, which is pretty much required to switch to a different variable.

Both $1-x^3$ and $z^2$ have to pass this horizontal line test.
Furthermore, both need to be non-negative, since we need to be able to put them under a square root.

It means the $x$ is restricted to $(-\infty, 1]$ and that $z$ is restricted to either $(-\infty, 0]$ or $[0,\infty)$.To make it more explicit, if we evaluate the definite integral:
$$\int_{-2}^{1} x^5\sqrt{1-x^3} dx$$
We would get:
$$1-x^3=z^2 \quad \Rightarrow\quad x = (1-z^2)^{1/3} \quad \Rightarrow \quad dx = -\frac 2 3 z(1-z^2)^{-2/3} dz$$
If we pick $z \ge 0$ this becomes:
$$\int_{-2}^{1} x^5\sqrt{1-x^3} dx = \int_3^0 (1-z^2)^{5/3} \sqrt{z^2} \cdot -\frac 2 3 z(1-z^2)^{-2/3} dz = -\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \sqrt{z^2}dz$$
Note that the direction of integration flips (from 3 down to 0) and also that a minus sign is introduced that effectively cancels that.

Since $z \ge 0$, we can now replace $\sqrt{z^2}$ by $z$ and we get:
$$-\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \sqrt{z^2}dz = -\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \cdot z\, dz$$

I understand all of it, except,
I like Serena said:
Note that the direction of integration flips (from 3 down to 0) and also that a minus sign is introduced that effectively cancels that.

Are you referring to if \(\displaystyle z \le 0\), then the direction of integration flips as well as an extra minus sign that cancels with it?

Rido12 said:
I understand all of it, except,Are you referring to if \(\displaystyle z \le 0\), then the direction of integration flips as well as an extra minus sign that cancels with it?

If we pick $z\le 0$ the direction of integration does not flip.
It will be from -3 up to 0.

You said above that if \(\displaystyle z \ge 0\), then
\(\displaystyle -\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \sqrt{z^2}dz = -\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \cdot z\, dz\)

Then if \(\displaystyle z \le 0\), wouldn't it be
\(\displaystyle -\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \sqrt{z^2}dz = -\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \cdot -z\, dz \) = \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{3} \int_3^0 z^2 (1-z^2)\)

Don't the two represent different areas? With the top being a positive quantity and the bottom being a negative?

By the way, I really appreciate the help! I love this forum, everyone here is incredibly helpful :)

Rido12 said:
You said above that if \(\displaystyle z \ge 0\), then
\(\displaystyle -\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \sqrt{z^2}dz = -\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \cdot z\, dz\)

Then if \(\displaystyle z \le 0\), wouldn't it be
\(\displaystyle -\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \sqrt{z^2}dz = -\frac 2 3 \int_3^0 z(1-z^2) \cdot -z\, dz \) = \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{3} \int_3^0 z^2 (1-z^2)\)

Don't the two represent different areas? With the top being a positive quantity and the bottom being a negative?

With $z \le 0$, the lower boundary should be -3 instead of 3.
Combined with the fact that $\int_a^b f(x)dx = -\int_b^a f(x)dx$ they come out the same.

By the way, I really appreciate the help! I love this forum, everyone here is incredibly helpful :)

Thanks! ;)

Rido12 said:

To clarify, from wikipedia, the rule for substitution is:

Let $I ⊆ ℝ$ be an interval and $\phi: [a,b] → I$ be a continuously differentiable function.
Suppose that $f : I → ℝ$ is a continuous function. Then:
$$
\int_{\phi(a)}^{\phi(b)} f(x)\,dx = \int_a^b f(\phi(t))\phi'(t)\, dt.
$$

In your case, you want to replace $1-x^3$ by $z^2$.
Or more specifically, replace $\sqrt{1-x^3}$ by either $z$ or by $-z$.
Now the function $\phi$ is supposed to map $z$ to $x$.
For that to happen, we need that the function $x \mapsto \sqrt{1-x^3}$ is invertible and the inverse function must be continuously differentiable.
A typical way to achieve that is when the function is strictly monotone and differentiable.

It means that you would pick for instance:
$$\phi: z \mapsto (1-z^2)^{1/3}$$
and
$$f: x \mapsto x^5\sqrt{1-x^3}$$
after which you can apply the substitution rule as mentioned on wiki.

Related to Integration with trig identities and absolute value

What is the general process for integrating functions involving trigonometric identities and absolute value?

The general process for integrating functions involving trigonometric identities and absolute value is to first use trigonometric identities to simplify the function as much as possible. Then, use the absolute value property to split the integral into two separate integrals. Finally, use basic integration techniques to solve each integral separately.

How do I handle the absolute value property when integrating trigonometric functions?

When integrating trigonometric functions, the absolute value property can be handled by splitting the integral into two separate integrals. This is because the absolute value function can be rewritten as a piecewise function, where one piece is the original function and the other is the negative of the original function. By splitting the integral and applying the absolute value property, the integral can be simplified and solved using basic integration techniques.

Can I use substitution when integrating functions with trigonometric identities and absolute value?

Yes, substitution can be used when integrating functions with trigonometric identities and absolute value. However, it is important to note that the substitution should be chosen carefully to ensure that the resulting integral can be easily solved. Additionally, substitution may not always be necessary as the integral can sometimes be solved using basic integration techniques after simplifying the function using trigonometric identities.

Do I need to use trigonometric identities when integrating functions with absolute value?

Yes, it is recommended to use trigonometric identities when integrating functions with absolute value. This is because the identities can help simplify the function and make it easier to integrate. Additionally, using trigonometric identities can also help in handling the absolute value property when it is present in the function.

Are there any special cases or exceptions when integrating functions with trigonometric identities and absolute value?

Yes, there are some special cases or exceptions to keep in mind when integrating functions with trigonometric identities and absolute value. For example, when the function contains a square root with a trigonometric function inside, it may be necessary to use a trigonometric substitution to solve the integral. It is important to carefully consider the function and choose the appropriate integration technique.