Integration with partial fractions

In summary, the rules for decomposing a fraction into partial fractions are as follows:- If a factor in the denominator is linear, the numerator will be a constant.- If a factor in the denominator is a power of a linear term, there will be multiple fractions with increasing powers of the linear term in the denominator.- If a factor in the denominator is quadratic and cannot be factored, the numerator will be a linear expression.
Physics is Phun
stuck on this one question. mostly cause I don't know the proper steps for using partial fractions.

(4x-4)/(x^4 -2x^3 +4x^2 -6x +3)
which factors to
(4x-4)/(x^2+3)(x-1)^2
now I have the answer here. but I don't know the rules for decomposing this fraction. can someone go over them for me
this decomposes to A + B/(x-1)^2 + Cx+D/(x^2+3)
i don't understand this step, why is the A value by itself, and what is the determining factor that you have 2 terms in the numerator. I though it had something to do with the degree of the denominator. but then why is it B/(x-1)^2 for the one but Cx+D/(x^2+3) for the other. both are x^2 terms.

hope I've explained myself well enough,
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first simplify your expression as follows:
[tex]\frac{4x-4}{(x^{2}+3)(x-1)^{2}}=\frac{4(x-1)}{(x^{2}+3)(x-1)^{2}}=\frac{4}{(x^{2}+3)(x-1)}[/tex]

Now, assume an expansion of the form:
[tex]\frac{4}{(x^{2}+3)(x-1)}=\frac{A}{x-1}+\frac{Bx+C}{x^{2}+3}[/tex]

Physics is Phun said:
stuck on this one question. mostly cause I don't know the proper steps for using partial fractions.

(4x-4)/(x^4 -2x^3 +4x^2 -6x +3)
which factors to
(4x-4)/(x^2+3)(x-1)^2
now I have the answer here. but I don't know the rules for decomposing this fraction. can someone go over them for me
this decomposes to A + B/(x-1)^2 + Cx+D/(x^2+3)
i don't understand this step, why is the A value by itself, and what is the determining factor that you have 2 terms in the numerator. I though it had something to do with the degree of the denominator. but then why is it B/(x-1)^2 for the one but Cx+D/(x^2+3) for the other. both are x^2 terms.

hope I've explained myself well enough,
thanks

The general "rules" (which I am sure are in your textbook) are these:
If a factor in the denominator is linear, i.e. (x-a), then you will need a fraction of the form [itex]\frac{A}{x-a}[/itex]. That is, the numerator is a constant because the denominator is first degree.
If a factor in the denominator is a power of a linear term, i.e. (x-a)n, then you will need several fractions of the form [itex]\frac{A}{x-a}[/itex], [itex]\frac{B}{(x-a)^2}[/itex], up to the nth power: [itex]\fra{Z}{(x-a)^n}[/itex]. Again, the denominator is always a constant because the "base" factor, x-a, is first power.
If a factor is quadratic and can't be factored, say ax2+ bx+ c, then you will need a fraction of the form [itex]\frac{Ax+ B}{ax^2+ bx+ c}[/itex]. In each case, the numerator may be degree one less than the denominator (of course, A might be 0). If it were not, then you could divide it out.

Related to Integration with partial fractions

1. What is integration with partial fractions?

Integration with partial fractions is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals of rational functions. It involves breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions and then integrating each of those fractions separately.

2. When is integration with partial fractions used?

Integration with partial fractions is often used in calculus and in solving differential equations. It is especially useful when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a rational function, meaning it is a ratio of two polynomials.

3. How is integration with partial fractions performed?

The process of integration with partial fractions involves breaking down a rational function into simpler fractions using partial fraction decomposition. Then, each of these simpler fractions is integrated separately using standard integration techniques.

4. What are the benefits of using integration with partial fractions?

Integration with partial fractions allows for the simplification of integrals involving complex rational functions, making them easier to solve. It also allows for the application of standard integration techniques, which can be more straightforward than trying to integrate a complex function directly.

5. Are there any limitations to integration with partial fractions?

Yes, integration with partial fractions can only be used on rational functions. It cannot be applied to other types of functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions. Additionally, the process of partial fraction decomposition can be time-consuming and may not always result in simpler fractions to integrate.