Integration with a unit step function

In summary, the question is about integrating a function with a unit step function. The unit step function is equal to 1 for t greater than or equal to 0 and 0 for t less than 0. The question is whether the integration should be from -infinity to infinity or from 0 to infinity, since the unit step function is 0 for t < 0. The correct integration is from 0 to infinity, as shown in the image.
killerfish
Hi,

i have a problem with integration a function with a unit step function.

Homework Statement

Given,

eafe.JPG

Refer to the image, i dun understand is that u(t) is equal to 1 from a definite integration from -[tex]\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex] since u(t)=1 from -[tex]\infty[/tex] to 0 and u(t)=0 from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex].

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
killerfish said:
Hi,

i have a problem with integration a function with a unit step function.

Homework Statement

Given,

View attachment 23734

Refer to the image, i dun understand is that u(t) is equal to 1 from a definite integration from -[tex]\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex] since u(t)=1 from -[tex]\infty[/tex] to 0 and u(t)=0 from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex]
since u(t) = 0 for all t < 0.

Thanks.

Isn't it the other way around like in your drawing? I.e., that u(t) = 0 for t < 0 and u(t) = 1 for 0 <= t < infinity?

That means that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(t) u(t)dt = \int_0^{\infty} g(t) dt [/tex]

Mark44 said:
Isn't it the other way around like in your drawing? I.e., that u(t) = 0 for t < 0 and u(t) = 1 for 0 <= t < infinity?

That means that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(t) u(t)dt = \int_0^{\infty} g(t) dt [/tex]

so if i have muliplication of few unit step function like in the image below,

faea.JPG

am i right this way?

Ayuh.

Related to Integration with a unit step function

1. What is a unit step function?

A unit step function is a mathematical function that has a value of 0 for all negative inputs and a value of 1 for all positive inputs. It is also known as the Heaviside step function, named after the mathematician Oliver Heaviside.

2. How is a unit step function used in integration?

A unit step function is used to "turn on" or "turn off" a function for a certain range of values. This allows us to break up a complicated integral into smaller, more manageable pieces.

3. What is the integral of a unit step function?

The integral of a unit step function is a ramp function, which is a straight line with a slope of 1. It can be represented by the equation f(x) = x for all positive values of x.

4. How is a unit step function graphically represented?

A unit step function is typically graphed as a horizontal line at y=1 for all positive values of x, and a horizontal line at y=0 for all negative values of x.

5. Can a unit step function have a different value than 0 or 1?

No, by definition, a unit step function has a value of 0 for all negative inputs and a value of 1 for all positive inputs. However, there are variations of the unit step function that have different values, such as the shifted unit step function which has a value of 0 for all inputs less than a certain value and a value of 1 for all inputs greater than or equal to that value.