Integration via complex exponential

In summary, the most general function f such that its second derivative is equal to e^-3t cos 2t is f(t) = \frac{e^-3t}{13}(-3 cos 2t + sin 2t) +C. The trick is to express the cosine in terms of complex exponentials and then integrate twice.
tylersmith7690

Homework Statement

Using the complex exponential, nd the most general function f such that

[itex]\frac{d^2f}{dt^2}[/itex] = e-3t cos 2t , t all real numbers.

Homework Equations

I'm having a lot of trouble with this question, my thinking is to integrate once and then one more time to undo the second derivative. However I am wondering if there is a trick to do this as i know there is a trick to doing it when say finding the 45th derivative of say e^t cos 5t.

The Attempt at a Solution

d/dt = ∫ e-3t cos (2t) dt

= e-3t . Re(e2ti
= Re ∫ e(-3+2i)[t/SUP]
= Re[ 1/(-3+2i) . e(-3+2i)t ] + C
= Re [ 1/(-3+2i) . (-3-2i/-3-2i) . e(-3+2i)t ] + C
= Re [ [itex]\frac{-3-2i}{13}[/itex] . e-3(cos2t+isin2t)
= Re [ [itex]\frac{e^-3t}{13}[/itex] .( -3 cost t + sin 2t - i(3sin 2t + 2 cos 2t) +C

= [itex]\frac{e^-3t}{13}[/itex](-3 cos 2t + sin 2t) +C

What is next to do or is there a trick in an earlier step?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to integrate twice. The friendly advice is to express the cosine with complex exponentials. Then the task is pretty simple, as you'll see immediately!

Yeah looking back i see the trick is just to square the ((1/-3i_2))

Related to Integration via complex exponential

1. What is integration via complex exponential?

Integration via complex exponential is a technique used in mathematics to solve integrals involving complex numbers. It involves converting the integral into a complex exponential form and then solving it using the properties of complex numbers.

2. Why is integration via complex exponential useful?

Integration via complex exponential is useful because it can simplify complicated integrals involving complex numbers. It also allows for the use of techniques such as contour integration, which can be used to solve difficult integrals.

3. Is integration via complex exponential only applicable to complex numbers?

No, integration via complex exponential can also be used to solve integrals involving real numbers. In fact, many integrals involving real numbers can be simplified by using complex exponential techniques.

4. What are some applications of integration via complex exponential?

Integration via complex exponential has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve complex numbers. It is commonly used in signal processing, control theory, and quantum mechanics, among others.

5. How do I know when to use integration via complex exponential?

You can use integration via complex exponential when you encounter an integral involving complex numbers or when you want to simplify a difficult integral. It may also be useful to use if you are looking for a more elegant or efficient solution to an integral.