Integration using various techniques

• Thread starter physics604
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: So, could you finish it?Sure! Continuing from where I left off: $$\int ue^u\,du = ue^u - \int e^u\,du = ue^u - e^u + C = e^x e^{e^x} - e^{e^x} + C = e^{x+e^x} - e^{e^x} + C$$And since we want to simplify it to match the textbook's answer, we can factor out an e^x to get:$$e^{x+e^x} - e^{e^x} + C = e^x(e^{e^x} - 1) + C$$
physics604
1. $$\int e^{x+e^x}\,dx$$

Homework Equations

Substitution, integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

$$u=e^x$$ $$\int e^{x+e^x}\,dx = \int e^x e^{e^x}\,dx = \int ue^u\,du$$
$$a=u$$ $$da=1du$$ $$dv=e^udu$$ $$v=e^u$$
$$=ue^u-\int e^u\,du = ue^u-e^u$$ $$=e^x e^{e^x}+e^{e^x} = e^{x+e^x}-e^{e^x} + C$$

The textbook's answer was $$e^{e^x} +C$$ How come my answer is different? Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
physics604 said:
1. $$\int e^{x+e^x}\,dx$$

Homework Equations

Substitution, integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

$$u=e^x$$
What is du? It is very important to also write du when you make a substitution u = <something>. In this case (and often), du is NOT equal to dx.
physics604 said:
$$\int e^{x+e^x}\,dx = \int e^x e^{e^x}\,dx = \int ue^u\,du$$
$$a=u$$ $$da=1du$$ $$dv=e^udu$$ $$v=e^u$$
$$=ue^u-\int e^u\,du = ue^u-e^u$$ $$=e^x e^{e^x}+e^{e^x} = e^{x+e^x}-e^{e^x} + C$$

The textbook's answer was $$e^{e^x} +C$$ How come my answer is different? Any help is much appreciated.

$$du=e^xdx$$
How does this work into the calculation?

physics604 said:
$$du=e^xdx$$
But that's not what you did. You turned ##e^xdx## into ##udu##.

∫ex+exdx=∫exeexdx=∫ueudu

Do you mean I should do something like this? $$\int e^x\,dx = \int e^xe^{e^x}\,dx = \int ue^u\,e^x dx$$ But the point of my substitution was to turn everything into u's...

You have ##\int e^x e^{e^x}dx##
u = ex, so du = exdx

What does your integral look like using this substution?

Likes 1 person
Oh, I got it now. Thanks! My integral would be

$$\int e^u\,du$$

Yes.

Related to Integration using various techniques

1. What is integration and why is it important in science?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. In science, it is important because it allows us to calculate and understand physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It also helps us to analyze and model real-world phenomena.

2. What are the different techniques used for integration?

There are several techniques used for integration, including the basic method of substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. Each technique is useful for solving different types of integrals and can be chosen based on the complexity of the integral.

3. How do you determine which integration technique to use?

The choice of integration technique depends on the type of integral and the algebraic form of the integrand. Some techniques work well for polynomial functions, while others may be more suitable for rational functions or trigonometric functions. It is important to be familiar with each technique and practice solving integrals to determine the best approach.

4. Can integration be used in other fields besides math and science?

Yes, integration has applications in various fields such as economics, engineering, and computer science. In economics, it is used for calculating consumer and producer surplus. In engineering, it is used for calculating the work done by a force. In computer science, it is used for data analysis and pattern recognition.

5. Is integration a difficult concept to understand?

Integration may seem challenging at first, but with practice and understanding of the basic principles, it can become easier. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and calculus before attempting to learn integration. With the right approach and practice, integration can be a valuable tool in solving real-world problems in science and other fields.