Integration Using Trigonometric Substitution Help Needed

In summary, The attempted solution for the integral of $ x^3\sqrt{x^2+16}dx$ is as follows: 4*((tan0^2)+1)^(1/2)=4sec0 and not 4sec0^2. Once you have substituted in x=4sinΘ, you end up with, 64tan3(x) * 4sec(x) or 256tan3(x)*sec(x).
Airp

Homework Statement

Integral of $$ x^3\sqrt{x^2+16}dx $$
answer should give
$$ 1/5(x^2+16)^{5/2} -16/3(x^2+16)^{1/2}+C $$

Homework Equations

x=atanθ

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20150222_141431.jpg

Mod note: The integral is ##\int x^3 \sqrt{x^2 + 16} dx##
The published answer is ##1/5(x^2+16)^{5/2} -16/3(x^2+16)^{1/2}+C##

To the OP: Using $ $ (i.e., with a space between the $ symbols) causes the browser to not render what's between the $ pairs. For inline LaTeX, you can use # # (no space) at the beginning and end.

Attachments

• IMG_20150222_141431.jpg
    IMG_20150222_141431.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please explain what you are trying to do

I'm trying to find the integral of the equation, but it doesn't give the same answer as the one I'm supposed to get, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm using trigonometric substitution which let's x=4sinΘ.

In the second step after you did the substitution, the whole things becomes,
4*((tan0^2)+1)^(1/2)=4sec0 and not 4sec0^2

Likes Airp
can you post the question? Like the integral you are trying to find the answer for?

IMG_20150222_143359~2.jpg

No problem! I tried using Latex, but it doesn't work...It's #6

Attachments

• IMG_20150222_141431.jpg
    IMG_20150222_141431.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 458
I might be able to help you...I love integration...but I don't understand anything from the picture you posted

Faris Shajahan said:
can you post the question? Like the integral you are trying to find the answer for?
See my previous post. It's fairly clear which integral the OP is trying to find.

Airp said:
No problem! I tried using Latex, but it doesn't work...It's #6
See my edit to post #1.

Thank You Mark! I'm still learning to use Latex... I changed it and it should appear ok, now!

Got it!

Ok, I'm currently trying, correcting the mistake I made with my sec^2. It looks good!

I can officially say that it works now! Thank you Faris! Such a "minor" mistake that really changed everything in the problem!

Faris Shajahan said:
I might be able to help you...I love integration...but I don't understand anything from the picture you posted

He meant Question 6 from the picture

Your trig substitution is correct. When you square root, you should get 4sec(x) (I'll use x instead of theta for simplicity)
That will leave you with,
64tan3(x) * 4sec(x)

or simply
256tan3(x)*sec(x)

Break the tan3(x) up, you get
256tan2(x)*sec(x)*tan(x)

I won't do the rest for you but I'll give you a clue. It involves a trig identity and a u substitution

Thank you! It works now, my mistake was simply that I forgot to take the sqrt of sec^2

hey, if trigonometric substitution is not necessary, it is much easier to put x^2+16=t...=>x^2=t-16...dx=dt/2x...x^3=x*x2...
then integral is ##\int { x*(t-16)*\sqrt(t)*dt/2x} ## => ##\int {(t-16)\sqrt(t) dt/2} ## ...now expand normally...

Related to Integration Using Trigonometric Substitution Help Needed

1. What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals involving expressions with radicals or powers of trigonometric functions. It involves substituting the variable with a trigonometric function, such as sine, cosine, or tangent, to simplify the integral.

2. How do you know when to use trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is typically used when the integral involves expressions with square roots or the power of a trigonometric function, and the substitution of a trigonometric function can simplify the integral.

3. What are some common trigonometric substitutions?

Some common trigonometric substitutions include:

• Substituting x with sinθ or cosθ for integrals involving expressions with √(a^2-x^2) or √(a^2+x^2)
  • Substituting x with tanθ for integrals involving expressions with √(x^2-a^2) or (x^2+a^2)
  • Substituting x with secθ for integrals involving expressions with √(x^2-a^2) or √(x^2+a^2)

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution include:

• Forgetting to change the limits of integration when substituting the variable
  • Choosing the wrong substitution for the integral
  • Forgetting to convert back to the original variable after solving the integral

5. Can trigonometric substitution be used for all integrals?

No, trigonometric substitution is only used for specific types of integrals involving expressions with radicals or powers of trigonometric functions. It is not applicable to all integrals and other techniques, such as u-substitution, may be more appropriate for some integrals.